Later Round Picks - Devils Draft

thelastonealive

Bernard is an good fighter, I seen him fight twice live and he destroyed the guys. He is native and extremely fast. Not a great 6th rounder but good value at all.

Other then the first two picks this is a poor draft for us.

not sure why you say that. i realize the devils didn't really take anyone with huge offensive upside. admittedly, i know nothing about late round prospects, but isn't it possible there weren't many of those players available

Bernard is an good fighter, I seen him fight twice live and he destroyed the guys. He is native and extremely fast. Not a great 6th rounder but good value at all.

Its still to ealry to tell like with every draft but i was feeling some what underwhelmed with any of our picks after the second round.

I think in last years draft we possibly grabed absolute steals in the later rounds, players like Young , Nagy, Wholberg with Henrique and Cormier.

Helgeson in the 4th is interesting but Bernard is a waste, fighters just arnt important in the NHL anymore.

I mean all players need to develop and its good the devils have given him a chance, and i hope he can improve and make some sort of career the NHL, but i would rather take somone with scoring abillity with weeknesses rather than a boxer on skates.

This is just all too similar to the 2004 draft where we went out of our way to draft big defensmen. Ulstrom, Gedig and Helgeson have very little upside as defensmen. Bernard and Rodwell are wastes. Rodwell is a 19 year old who couldn't put up a PPG in the 6th strongest junior league in Canada. The AJHL is below BCHL OJHL, QMJHL, WHL AND OHL.

Last year right after the draft I thought most of the picks were excellent. Wohlberg certainly surprised me in his freshman season.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

This is just all too similar to the 2004 draft where we went out of our way to draft big defensmen. Ulstrom, Gedig and Helgeson have very little upside as defensmen. Bernard and Rodwell are wastes. Rodwell is a 19 year old who couldn't put up a PPG in the 6th strongest junior league in Canada. The AJHL is below BCHL OJHL, QMJHL, WHL AND OHL.

here's another guy who has no offensive upside:

born 1984

2003-04 Sodertalje SK SEL 42 1 0 1 12 -- -- -- -- --

2004-05 Sodertalje SK SEL 15 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0

2005-06 Sodertalje SK SEL 24 0 0 0 20

guess who?

i wouldn't be so sure that urbom has absolutely no offensive upside. i admit i hated the rodwell pick too, but he did somehow convince north dakota to let him in, so something's up there.

i also think it's almost impossible to find defensemen with serious upside past the 3rd round without making serious gambles (e.g. eckford).

Edited by Triumph

born 1984

guess who?

i wouldn't be so sure that urbom has absolutely no offensive upside. i admit i hated the rodwell pick too, but he did somehow convince north dakota to let him in, so something's up there.

i also think it's almost impossible to find defensemen with serious upside past the 3rd round without making serious gambles (e.g. eckford).

Thats Johnathon Ericsson from the wings. We could only be so lucky if our guy turns out like that

born 1984

guess who?

Ericsson was a forward prior to being switched over to defense. The atural offensive instincts were there inside him. Plus he is 6`5 and mobile. The odds of that happening are slim to none.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Ericsson was a forward prior to being switched over to defense. The atural offensive instincts were there inside him. Plus he is 6`5 and mobile. The odds of that happening are slim to none.

you are noting that he has 1 goal and 0 assists in 81 games, right? those are poor offensive stats for a goaltender - never mind whether he was playing forward or D.

my point isn't to compare urbom to ericsson, it's to indicate that it is damned hard to judge an 18 year old's stats in a men's league, especially defensemen.

Edited by Triumph

From TG's blog:

Of Urbom, who was teammates with Josefson on Djurgarden in the Swedish Elite League, Lamoriello said, "With (Swedish scout) Danny (Labraatan), he was very high on the list. It was interesting where he was at. You never know why players slip for different reasons, but we couldn't pass up on him where he was at."

I know a GM isn't going to say bad things about any prospect but Lou let us know they had him rated higher on their draft board, and it sounds like not just higher by 1 or 2 spots.

From TG's blog:

I know a GM isn't going to say bad things about any prospect but Lou let us know they had him rated higher on their draft board, and it sounds like not just higher by 1 or 2 spots.

+1 :D

Edited by Colin226

In January he was supposedly considered to be competing for a top 10 (some even say top 5) draft spot but had a terrible performance in a major tournament which hurt his stock.. He was playing in the tournament with the flu.. Why anyone would count that against him is beyond me, but their loss is our gain

I think that quote is talking about Urbom, not Josefson.

I just hate the fact that we spent a pick on a goon (Bernard). We could've used that pick to move higher in a round 4 and drafted another goalie. Jeff Frazee is the truth, but I'd like to see more in our system. Gerald Coleman (Trenton) could be a prospect for us, trade bait and hopefully we bring back Jordan Parise from Austria.

born 1984

guess who?

We need stay at home D men who can be physical with mobilty. We have offensive D men in the minors and college (Eckford and Burlon). You must really have hated Dano. Dano was average at best until Lemaire became the coach.

So you hail the fact that we spent a a pick on a nothing goon, yet kill the draft class because we got big stay at home D men? We have Offensive D men in Lowell and College (Eckford and Burlon). We need big D men who can have mobility. Urbom is a damn good pick. I only wish we drafted one goalie in the fourth (WOW..we could've used that 6 pick to move up and get a real prospect) and another center who can create. However we needed some stay at home D men, we addressed a need.. Aside from Matt Cohen (Trenton), Mark Fraser (Lowell) and Corrente...we had not much in that deparmtent in the system.

Edited by VivaSaintMartin30

So you hail the fact that we spent a a pick on a nothing goon, yet kill the draft class because we got big stay at home D men? We have Offensive D men in Lowell and College (Eckford and Burlon). We need big D men who can have mobility. Urbom is a damn good pick. I only wish we drafted one goalie in the fourth (WOW..we could've used that 6 pick to move up and get a real prospect) and another center who can create. However we needed some stay at home D men, we addressed a need.. Aside from Matt Cohen (Trenton), Mark Fraser (Lowell) and Corrente...we had not much in that deparmtent in the system.

It was a horrible pick, I meant to say it was a horrible value pick. How in the blue hell do you know if Urbom is a good pick, you never seen him play and probably never heard of him untill NJ picked him. Granted I have never seen him play either but he wasn't even on the under 18 team for Sweden. Sure they were deep but to not make the team is kinda sad. We don't have any stay at home defensmen? Maybe you should learn a little about our system first then. Last I checked Mark Fayne, TJ Miller, Matt Delahey and Corbim MacPherson are all 6`3 or bigger stay at home players.

This draft, odds are one player is going to make the NHL in some capasity and that is Josefson.

It was a horrible pick, I meant to say it was a horrible value pick. How in the blue hell do you know if Urbom is a good pick, you never seen him play and probably never heard of him untill NJ picked him. Granted I have never seen him play either but he wasn't even on the under 18 team for Sweden. Sure they were deep but to not make the team is kinda sad.

the swedish U18 team can't make mistakes? a player can't improve between july, when the tournament roster is finalized, and june of the next year? that said, here's the guys who made it:

tim erixon, drafted in 1st round - 45 games in SEL

oliver ekman larsson, drafted in 1st round - no games in SEL

simon bertlisson, drafted in 3rd round - 21 games in SEL

peter andersson, drafted in 5th round - no games in SEL

adam alqvist drafted in 7th round - no games in SEL

simon lof, undrafted - one game in SEL

carl ackered, undrafted - no games in SEL

anton myllari, undrafted - no games in SEL

urbom had 28 games in the SEL.

We don't have any stay at home defensmen? Maybe you should learn a little about our system first then. Last I checked Mark Fayne, TJ Miller, Matt Delahey and Corbim MacPherson are all 6`3 or bigger stay at home players.

none of these players project to be anything better than bottom pairing players, i have no faith in any of them. i wouldn't be surprised of half of them never play in the devils' organization.

This draft, odds are one player is going to make the NHL in some capasity and that is Josefson.

odds are 2 will make it. you don't think the summation of the final six picks has even a 50% chance of making it?

Edited by Triumph

the swedish U18 team can't make mistakes? a player can't improve between july, when the tournament roster is finalized, and june of the next year? that said, here's the guys who made it:

tim erixon, drafted in 1st round - 45 games in SEL

oliver ekman larsson, drafted in 1st round - no games in SEL

simon bertlisson, drafted in 3rd round - 21 games in SEL

peter andersson, drafted in 5th round - no games in SEL

adam alqvist drafted in 7th round - no games in SEL

simon lof, undrafted - one game in SEL

carl ackered, undrafted - no games in SEL

anton myllari, undrafted - no games in SEL

urbom had 28 games in the SEL.

none of these players project to be anything better than bottom pairing players, i have no faith in any of them. i wouldn't be surprised of half of them never play in the devils' organization.

odds are 2 will make it. you don't think the summation of the final six picks has even a 50% chance of making it?

I was talking about the World Under 18 in the spring. He didn't make the Ivan tourney roster either. TJ Miller before the knee injury was captain for Northern Michigan, stood at 6`4 and was fairly mobile. Corbin MacPherson is even a better case playing for Colgate, he was their #1 defensmen in his freshman season. He was playing upwords of 30 minutes a game. Both he and Miller will be signed, Delahey will be signed as well. All three have as much potential as the guys drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds this season.

I like Gelinas but he is a boom bust pick, the rest of those draft picks are slim to no chance in my opinion.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I was talking about the World Under 18 in the spring. He didn't make the Ivan tourney roster either. TJ Miller before the knee injury was captain for Northern Michigan, stood at 6`4 and was fairly mobile. Corbin MacPherson is even a better case playing for Colgate, he was their #1 defensmen in his freshman season. He was playing upwords of 30 minutes a game. Both he and Miller will be signed, Delahey will be signed as well. All three have as much potential as the guys drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds this season.

fayne won't be signed and i wouldn't be surprised if delahey wasn't, but you do know better than me.

I like Gelinas but he is a boom bust pick, the rest of those draft picks are slim to no chance in my opinion.

meh i think the fighter has a 20% chance alone. if leblond and janssen can make it, certainly this guy can.

Delahey is sure fire signed...he was better then Teubert this year who was a first rounder by LA.

It was a horrible pick, I meant to say it was a horrible value pick. How in the blue hell do you know if Urbom is a good pick, you never seen him play and probably never heard of him untill NJ picked him. Granted I have never seen him play either but he wasn't even on the under 18 team for Sweden. Sure they were deep but to not make the team is kinda sad. We don't have any stay at home defensmen? Maybe you should learn a little about our system first then. Last I checked Mark Fayne, TJ Miller, Matt Delahey and Corbim MacPherson are all 6`3 or bigger stay at home players.

Let's not go crazy calling players bad picks when people who have seen him play did rank him that highly. You even admit yourself you can't make a true judgement without seeing a player.