For Peter DeBoer, a career in law was simply too dull

Rock

D'Alessandro: For Peter DeBoer, a career in law was simply too dull

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2012/04/dalessandro_for_peter_deboer_a.html

“I had the worst job in legal history,” the Devils coach explains. “I was working for the legal department of a software company one summer, and I wrote the disclaimers on the boxes of floppy disks.”

Perhaps that is why the Devils celebrated this achievement with handshakes and a quiet procession to the team bus after clinching a spot in Raleigh on Saturday night.

And perhaps this understated celebration says more about their head coach, who is — we’re guessing here — obviously far from satisfied, and therefore sees little reason to break out the Bollinger?

“There was some of that,” Zach Parise, the captain, concedes, “but we all expected to make the playoffs, so it’s not like we felt the need to start taping up lockers. But yeah, this way more fits Peter’s style.”

Here’s the coach’s recap of the celebration that wasn’t: “Typically, I don’t address a team after a game unless there are special circumstances,” DeBoer says. “But I basically congratulated them for the work they put in, and reminded everybody that there are larger expectations, and we’ve got a lot of steps to go still. And that was it, really.”

Definitely a slick little jab. I like it!

Great article.

Great article, and not a jab. Just the reality of where the organizations are at, their history, the expectations and the personnel that the Devils have this year compared to what he had in Florida.

Edited by devilsrule33

Great article, and not a jab. Just the reality of where the organizations are at, their history, the expectations and the personnel that the Devils have this year compared to what he had in Florida.

We may not be an overly wealthy team or have a huge fan base, but one thing I will say from my experience seeing the Devils on the inside is that the player operations side of things is given the upmost importance above everything else.. They get every dollar they need to ensure that players, scouts, coaches and staff have the best ability to succeed.. Remember Sykora preseason saying that the PruCenter facilities were the best he'd seen in the NHL? We may not have Ranger or Philly money to do as many extra activities as the fans would like, but we spend on our players, staff and facilities like those teams do an it's really helped us remain competitive and I'm sure it's attractive to free agents