Photo

A frustrated fan says so long to the Canucks - Any STHs here walking?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat for them to get a deal done this time. What's the point? Last time I was following it so closely but now that I have 0 faith in either sides why invest myself in it? If it comes back great; but at this point I've detached myself from it.

I'm the exact same way. I am not following any of the PR bullsh!t that the NHL and NHLPA are pumping out after each "negotiation" or meeting...I am completely ignoring the entire fiasco because I don't give a crap how close they are or how far they are, all I care about is that an agreement is reached. When that time comes, I will be right back on board.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#42 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm not trying to punish them or myself. I am just becoming a bit more apathetic to the league. It's really pathetic/"mickey mouse", that the league has to lose games every time they need a new CBA.

Aren't these people professionals? Their job is to work this out! If you have a lockout every time you SUCK at your job.

I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat for them to get a deal done this time. What's the point? Last time I was following it so closely but now that I have 0 faith in either sides why invest myself in it? If it comes back great; but at this point I've detached myself from it.

Edit: I have been a huge hockey fan since I could walk & comprehend what was happening on TV. Being a fan has nothing to do with it.

I definitely agree with this and what CR76 and Sundstrom are saying. It's not to punish the league or the team or anything. It's just a matter of not having the desire to go jumping right back in. I did in 1995 and 2005, and I guess I'm not as anxious this time. As DevsMan84 pointed out, we are surviving without hockey.

Calling out people for not being a huge fan is pretty ridiculous. It's not a pissing contest. If we weren't fans, we wouldn't be season ticket holders or on this site to begin with. Just because I'm less excited about dumping a few grand every year after the 3rd lockout in 17 years (and pretty much a guarantee or another one in 6-8 years) doesn't mean I'm not a fan.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#43 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that anyone who posts on a message board is a diehard fan lol

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I definitely agree with this and what CR76 and Sundstrom are saying. It's not to punish the league or the team or anything. It's just a matter of not having the desire to go jumping right back in. I did in 1995 and 2005, and I guess I'm not as anxious this time. As DevsMan84 pointed out, we are surviving without hockey.

Calling out people for not being a huge fan is pretty ridiculous. It's not a pissing contest. If we weren't fans, we wouldn't be season ticket holders or on this site to begin with. Just because I'm less excited about dumping a few grand every year after the 3rd lockout in 17 years (and pretty much a guarantee or another one in 6-8 years) doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

Pretty much sums it up. Sad that the league has managed to squelch the enthusiasm of me and some fellow hardcore hockey fans, even if it's only temporary.

JWomp, understand where you're coming from in wanting to come back immediately, as I felt the same way in the past, but just keep in mind that the message you send is that it's OK for the league to sh!t on your game and its fanbase time and time again...you'll keep taking it, no matter what. Never forget that this is OUR game, that without the FANS investing heavily in tickets to watch these guy play, there's no NHL. The Gary Bettmans and Donald Fehrs of the world have long forgotten that, and it's their assumption that fans will keep coming back, no matter how many times they hold our game hostage (along with the non-millionaires who depend on it for their livelihood), that feeds into their arrogance.

I wonder what it will say under the ice this time? "THANK YOU FANS...AGAIN?"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

The only way they can really thank the fans (besides lowering ticket prices, which won't happen) is by putting Bettman out to pasture once and for all when this is over. I know being hated is 'part of the job' but I can't remember one commissioner ever hated and disrespected by both players and fans as much as Bettman, in any sport. Not to mention one with such a horrendous labor record.

And the players need to not be d*cks ala JVR in the other thread and go the extra mile in fan relations signing stuff and doing whatever to cultivate interest. Not to mention agreeing to a CBA a bit longer than five years. Nobody wants to even THINK about another labor war so soon after this one ends.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 November 2012 - 04:11 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#46 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

The only way they can really thank the fans (besides lowering ticket prices, which won't happen) is by putting Bettman out to pasture once and for all when this is over. I know being hated is 'part of the job' but I can't remember one commissioner ever hated and disrespected by both players and fans as much as Bettman, in any sport. Not to mention one with such a horrendous labor record.

And the players need to not be d*cks ala JVR in the other thread and go the extra mile in fan relations signing stuff and doing whatever to cultivate interest. Not to mention agreeing to a CBA a bit longer than five years. Nobody wants to even THINK about another labor war so soon after this one ends.

i think there is a very real chance that bettman gets a golden parachute and is relieved as an olive branch/cleansing once this is done. it might be a complete PR move but it's a move that makes sense.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#47 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

i think there is a very real chance that bettman gets a golden parachute and is relieved as an olive branch/cleansing once this is done. it might be a complete PR move but it's a move that makes sense.

I was hoping to see him pelted with rotten fruit the next time he walks on the ice.
Posted Image

#48 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I read some article on Philly.com about a Flyers fan who proposes boycotting the opener whenever the game returns. It might not sound like much, but if enough fans around the league went along with that idea, it would be a pretty cool statement.

http://www.philly.co...HL-returns.html

#49 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

I read some article on Philly.com about a Flyers fan who proposes boycotting the opener whenever the game returns. It might not sound like much, but if enough fans around the league went along with that idea, it would be a pretty cool statement.

http://www.philly.co...HL-returns.html

I agree, would be pretty cool and would at least say SOMETHING, but for every one fan who would do something like that, there's several more JWomp-types who will be there for Game 1 no matter what. And unfortunately, the Bettmans and Fehrs know it. What really needs to happen is several weeks of, say, 60-70% capacity on average across the board...something that tells everyone involved that they'd better think very long and hard about doing this again in another 6-8 years. But it won't...like Colin said, some teams' fans (possibly ours) will stay away for a while, but for other teams, it will be business as usual...the Rangers will pick up right where they left off.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#50 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Boycotting the first game of the year would send a statement, but I'm not going to punish myself for the transgressions of the NHL and NHLPA.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#51 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

Missing 'one' game is hardly a punishment unless you literally attend all 41 home games a year. Even if you do, you're already down to 25-30 anyway, what's missing another :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#52 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Boycotting the first game of the year would send a statement, but I'm not going to punish myself for the transgressions of the NHL and NHLPA.

Clearly the fact that NHL and NHLPA think nothing of either truncating or even killing seasons, and that many people affected by that, means nothing to you...you just want your NHL hockey, no matter what the cost...and you're not alone, which is probably why we'll be back here sometime in the future...there's more than enough of you that doesn't care how much the NHL and NHLPA sh!ts on its product, you'll be first in line the minute they're back in business. And I'm not much different than you...I'm annoyed and pissed by all of this, and it's soured me on the NHL for the forseeable future, but if they get a season in this year, by next season I will likely be 100% back on board. Maybe I won't be first in line like you, but I'm still in the line.

Like I've said, for me, I'm not into punishing anyone for this, I've just lost my desire to watch the NHL for the moment, and I've stated why. But if others want to consciously stick to the NHL by not going and not watching, especially if a third lockout has finally caused some of them to snap, I can't blame them.

#30 FOREVER!

#53 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Clearly the fact that NHL and NHLPA think nothing of either truncating or even killing seasons, and that many people affected by that, means nothing to you...you just want your NHL hockey, no matter what the cost...and you're not alone, which is probably why we'll be back here sometime in the future...there's more than enough of you that doesn't care how much the NHL and NHLPA sh!ts on its product, you'll be first in line the minute they're back in business. And I'm not much different than you...I'm annoyed and pissed by all of this, and it's soured me on the NHL for the forseeable future, but if they get a season in this year, by next season I will likely be 100% back on board. Maybe I won't be first in line like you, but I'm still in the line.

Like I've said, for me, I'm not into punishing anyone for this, I've just lost my desire to watch the NHL for the moment, and I've stated why. But if others want to consciously stick to the NHL by not going and not watching, especially if a third lockout has finally caused some of them to snap, I can't blame them.

I am not pleased with the NHL or the NHLPA, but I'm not going to take it out on myself and on the Devils organization. Even if I were to boycott the NHL for a while to show my displeasure, the loss of my dollars would not make enough of an impact for them to take notice. So, I'll be right back because I enjoy the game and I love the Devils.

I do think that the casual NHL fan is rapidly losing interest though, and might not be back for quite a while...or ever.

Edited by JWomp, 28 November 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#54 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

This region, especially, will be hurt by this lockout. When you think of all the hype that was going on around here in May and June because of an epic playoff season for Philly/NJ/NY, it did more for hockey in the area than has happened in decades. Like many of you are saying, the average casual fan out there has lost interest. Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks are playing well now, so that's probably where their attention is now. If hockey started on time, they might have gone to a couple games by now...

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am not pleased with the NHL or the NHLPA, but I'm not going to take it out on myself and on the Devils organization. Even if I were to boycott the NHL for a while to show my displeasure, the loss of my dollars would not make enough of an impact for them to take notice. So, I'll be right back because I enjoy the game and I love the Devils.

I do think that the casual NHL fan is rapidly losing interest though, and might not be back for quite a while...or ever.

I think the point CR76 is making (and the one I was too) is that it's not to punish anyone or take it out on the league or ourselves. It's that not just the casual fans, but even some hardcore fans are starting to lose interest bit by bit as well. We all enjoy the game and love the Devils. We wouldn't be discussing our season tickets on a Devils message board otherwise. Some have just grown more tired of the repetitive work stoppages than others.

Like CR76 said above, the Rangers, Flyers, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Toronto, they won't miss a beat. But what will this lockout do to Jersey? Or even worse, Florida, Columbus, Tampa, Nashville, Phoenix? How is Bettman supposed to justify this and the inevitable loss of business to these cities, who he fought to bring the game to?

Will I be back when hockey is back? Of course I will. I love it. But will I be dropping thousands of dollars on season tickets? Eh, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll be fine once I've gone to another game an remembered why I love it. Maybe I'll drop down to 10 - 12 games a year. I don't know. But there are hardcore fans in other markets who are asking themselves the same thing now and some of them may be moving on for good.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I think the point CR76 is making (and the one I was too) is that it's not to punish anyone or take it out on the league or ourselves. It's that not just the casual fans, but even some hardcore fans are starting to lose interest bit by bit as well. We all enjoy the game and love the Devils. We wouldn't be discussing our season tickets on a Devils message board otherwise. Some have just grown more tired of the repetitive work stoppages than others.

Like CR76 said above, the Rangers, Flyers, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Toronto, they won't miss a beat. But what will this lockout do to Jersey? Or even worse, Florida, Columbus, Tampa, Nashville, Phoenix? How is Bettman supposed to justify this and the inevitable loss of business to these cities, who he fought to bring the game to?

Will I be back when hockey is back? Of course I will. I love it. But will I be dropping thousands of dollars on season tickets? Eh, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll be fine once I've gone to another game an remembered why I love it. Maybe I'll drop down to 10 - 12 games a year. I don't know. But there are hardcore fans in other markets who are asking themselves the same thing now and some of them may be moving on for good.

It's funny, I'd almost like to see an "eye for an eye" strategy adopted by the NHL fanbase...for every game that's canceled, we boycott one on the revised schedule. So say the NHL starts this season with, say, a 50-game schedule...fans then boycott the first 32 games, since 32 were taken away from us. I know it has no prayer of happening, but at least it might motivate these guys to settle a lot faster the next time.

#30 FOREVER!

#57 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

It's funny, I'd almost like to see an "eye for an eye" strategy adopted by the NHL fanbase...for every game that's canceled, we boycott one on the revised schedule. So say the NHL starts this season with, say, a 50-game schedule...fans then boycott the first 32 games, since 32 were taken away from us. I know it has no prayer of happening, but at least it might motivate these guys to settle a lot faster the next time.

This is actually the exact approach I'm taking.

#58 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I haven't lost my desire or interest in watching Devils hockey, it's using my hard earned money to support these whiney spoiled brat players and owners that I no longer really want to support. It's easier to ignore how much these guys are overpaid and how much money I give to this team when there aren't lockouts but when this stuff happens it makes me really question why I even bother when I can watch the games on tv in HD in the comfort of my own living room for free.

#59 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Don't care about sides, feelings, none of that crap. I love hockey and the Devils are the closest, most convenient to reach pro team. If I stop watching NHL hockey, where am I gonna go to get my hockey fix? The next closest teams to me(besides NY, vomit) are the Trenton whatever they're called now, then probably the Pens AHL team in Wilkes Barre/Scranton. Both of which are at least as long a drive as Newark and will likely cost as much, if not more than seeing a Devils game. So, I would like to ask all you 'I'm gonna punish the NHL' people: Is letting the NHL know you're mad for realsies this time worth losing hockey over? The answer for me is, nah man, sh!t nah, I believe you get the sh!t kicked outta ya for saying something like that.

Hockey to me is just part of me, part of my life, inseparable from the rest. I grew up loving hockey, watching it, playing it. My first video game: NHL 95, some of my first(and best) memories of childhood: On the ice, playing hockey. This game is something I love more than I've loved most, if not all, things. Without it, my life is bleak, with it, I'm intoxicated. So tell me, are you to tell me I should live a bleak and sober life the next several months just because the NHL needs to learn a lesson? gtfo.

You want to poo on the NHL, don't buy licensed merchandise, don't watch NHL network, don't watch anything hockey related besides the Devils games on MSGs networks, but don't hurt yourself or the Devils because you got your panties in a bunch because big mean brother took away your favorite game.

#60 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Its possible to love hockey and hate the NHL. With great quality broadcasts of KHL and CHL games that are easily accessible and in my case the ability to assist my friend who is coaching a HS team this year, I find I'm getting my hockey fix just fine without the NHL. I know not spending money on NHL products isn't going to prove anything or be noticed - that's not the point. I'm just done being a puppet for this league for awhile. I'll always love the Devils and watch every game, but my love for the sport far surpasses my love for the Devils now.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users