Parise comment on the Rock/fans

Z-Man

Just to chime in here, there are a lot of other factors that made me decide not to get full season tickets this year.

The turnpike tolls and the port authority raising the bridge tolls affected my decision, I can't justify it because I simply don't think it's worth the money when I can watch the games in HD from the comfort of my own living room instead of wasting all that money on the tolls and gas. My EZPass bill has gone from 4+ pages every month to just a single page.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who this has affected either.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Just to chime in here, there are a lot of other factors that made me decide not to get full season tickets this year.

The turnpike tolls and the port authority raising the bridge tolls affected my decision, I can't justify it because I simply don't think it's worth the money when I can watch the games in HD from the comfort of my own living room instead of wasting all that money on the tolls and gas. My EZPass bill has gone from 4+ pages every month to just a single page.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who this has affected either.

Also taking the train is not cheap anymore either (hasn't been in a while). The nearest one to me is Somerville and round trip there for 1 person is $20.50.

Also taking the train is not cheap anymore either (hasn't been in a while). The nearest one to me is Somerville and round trip there for 1 person is $20.50.

The train isn't an option for me but that's insane. That's 80 bucks for a family of 4 just to get to the game. After getting tickets and food and some merch that could easily hit 500 bucks for just a single night.

Also another thing is that the playoff tickets(if they go all 4 rounds) almost equals the same amount of money as the entire regular season and pre-season games.

I'd rather watch the regular season games on my couch and save that money so I can get playoff tickets and maybe even travel to a few road playoff games.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Fanwood and Westfield stations have lots with free parking in the late afternoon/weekends and train tickets are nearly 50% less than they are from Somerville. I know folks on here who live further south have driven up to Metropark and took the train from there to save money.

Honestly, anyone who has to pay that much is better off driving to Newark, especially if you're not going by yourself.

I drive to South Orange and pay like $7.50 total including the Newark light rail or bus.

Honestly, anyone who has to pay that much is better off driving to Newark, especially if you're not going by yourself.

I drive to South Orange and pay like $7.50 total including the Newark light rail or bus.

Since I go to enough games I get a flash pass. Over the course of the season I get it down to be pretty cheap per game

Since I go to enough games I get a flash pass. Over the course of the season I get it down to be pretty cheap per game

There's that too, although they've jacked up the flash pass in recent years from $200 to $350. Still, it's a good deal if your train fare is $10 or more and you go to 'about' every game.

There's that too, although they've jacked up the flash pass in recent years from $200 to $350. Still, it's a good deal if your train fare is $10 or more and you go to 'about' every game.

I figured from Somerville at $20.50 round trip I would need to go to 17 games just to pay it off. I usually go to about 20-25 so it does give me a discount.

I have seen families of 4 go into Newark from Somerville. $82 just to get there is very steep and that makes the $30 parking right next to the arena seem like a steal.

I figured from Somerville at $20.50 round trip I would need to go to 17 games just to pay it off. I usually go to about 20-25 so it does give me a discount.

I have seen families of 4 go into Newark from Somerville. $82 just to get there is very steep and that makes the $30 parking right next to the arena seem like a steal.

There are discounts for kids during the week and they ride for free on weekends. http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PRUTo So it might cost more but not that much when you factor in parking and gas $4 a gallon.

There are discounts for kids during the week and they ride for free on weekends. http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=PRUTo So it might cost more but not that much when you factor in parking and gas $4 a gallon.

Ah I forgot to mention the kids were teenaged. They asked about the discount too but conductor told them they couldn't get it because of their age.

Still just 2 parents is $41. Somerville to Newark is not that far and let's say they do the $30 parking (I usually go to the $15 lot myself in the very rare chance I have to drive in due to time contraints) then they are still saving money driving in with the $4 a gallon unless they are driving a complete gass guzzler.

They can drive to Netherwood, Westfield or Fanwood, park for free and save about 50% on train tickets. It takes what a half-hour or so to get there from Somerville? From Westfield for an average family of 4 it's as low as $20 to as high as about $30? Put that against parking near/at the Rock for $20-$30, the extra cost on gas for the longer drive and the traffic around there(especially for 7pm weeknight games) and it evens out; heck it's probably better for them to take the train in.

They can drive to Netherwood, Westfield or Fanwood, park for free and save about 50% on train tickets. It takes what a half-hour or so to get there from Somerville? From Westfield for an average family of 4 it's as low as $20 to as high as about $30? Put that against parking near/at the Rock for $20-$30, the extra cost on gas for the longer drive and the traffic around there(especially for 7pm weeknight games) and it evens out; heck it's probably better for them to take the train in.

If you are leaving work at 5PM (or 5:30PM like me), it is hard to reach places like Fanwood by 6:01PM to make the train in rush hour traffice from Somerville (Rt 22 + traffic + lights + side streets). For many families that is probably not an option as well.

Also from Westfield for a family of 4 round trip is $38.00 ($4.75 per person 1 way). It is about the same as driving in and you can prob get there quicker driving and get home sooner driving after the game. (When I drive to the games I am home by 10:30PM if the game ends at about 9:30-9:45) compared to 11:30PM if I take the train because the train during the week doesn't leave Newark Penn until 10:08PM.)

Edited by DevsMan84

eh, I just go from Bridgewater at the ballfield. I'd much rather pay a smaller parking fee and then pay for train tickets and enjoy an easy direct ride in, then worry about traffic, rush hour and McCarter Highway. (I don't do well city driving)

It's really all about your personal preference imo. I don't like city driving and the train basically takes you a block away. easy call for me, but I'm not always strapped for cash, and I don't make it to a lot of games / season...

eh, I just go from Bridgewater at the ballfield. I'd much rather pay a smaller parking fee and then pay for train tickets and enjoy an easy direct ride in, then worry about traffic, rush hour and McCarter Highway. (I don't do well city driving)

It's really all about your personal preference imo. I don't like city driving and the train basically takes you a block away. easy call for me, but I'm not always strapped for cash, and I don't make it to a lot of games / season...

The train station lot at bridge water as well a pretty much every other lot at njtransit stations are free after 5pm and weekends. Never paid yet in all these years and never had a ticket.

Also the traffic before and after is not bad if you know to avoid mccarter. I just take 78 and then to broad street and then park at the $15 lot near Kinney. It is about four blocks away from the rock and never had much trouble with traffic unless we play Philly or rags. I also make it home a full hour earlier when driving and by 10:08 when the train normally leaves penn station for the rattan valley line I am by exit 33 on 78.

The train station lot at bridge water as well a pretty much every other lot at njtransit stations are free after 5pm and weekends. Never paid yet in all these years and never had a ticket.

Also the traffic before and after is not bad if you know to avoid mccarter. I just take 78 and then to broad street and then park at the $15 lot near Kinney. It is about four blocks away from the rock and never had much trouble with traffic unless we play Philly or rags. I also make it home a full hour earlier when driving and by 10:08 when the train normally leaves penn station for the raritan valley line I am by exit 33 on 78.