Was gifted a jersey

Sneax

I've been asking for a Devils jersey for Christmas literally every year, it's the only thing I ask for when my mother constantly asks me for a list. I never get one. Still the only jersey I have is a Scott Gomez I won in a raffle when I was like ten or so. It's still huge on me, but it's the only jersey I have to wear to games. I'm one of the last guys left that sports the taped Gomez sweater. I still love the CCM jerseys. But if anyone's feeling generous, you can send this guy an Elias jersey... and tuition money. Thanks.

This entire thread... white people problems :P

Haha, or first world problems.

If it's such a problem for you, OP, and you don't feel comfortable wearing it at the arena, don't wear it. The best option is, probably, talking to the person who gave it to you, saying thanks and telling her/him that you have a favourite player whose jersey you'd love to get, so since you got the sweater, you'll redo the lettering on the back to the name of that player...

The jersey fouls column at Puck Daddy is usually funny when you have people with some really dumb stuff on their jerseys or when they do things that could *really* be considered a sacrilege (like, tearing two jerseys apart and sewing their halves together). But sometimes it gets extreme and I'm getting this totally macho vibe with fans pointing fingers at others because some minor detail is off or someone customizes their jersey the way they like. Come on, even the official NHL shop puts up those ads with jerseys reading "YOUR NAME" on the backs. Don't like it, don't do that to your jersey, but if someone else likes it - who the hell are you to tell them not to wear it? And is it that big of a deal to rip people over it? Sheesh...

Personally, the only problem I'd have with the jersey would be the "01" on the back. :P No reason for that 0 in there. Oh, plus, maybe I wouldn't feel to comfortable with all the people around me seeing my last name instantly (if it is your last name, no the first name). But a jersey with my first name on the back, I probably wouldn't mind.

Haha, or first world problems.

If it's such a problem for you, OP, and you don't feel comfortable wearing it at the arena, don't wear it. The best option is, probably, talking to the person who gave it to you, saying thanks and telling her/him that you have a favourite player whose jersey you'd love to get, so since you got the sweater, you'll redo the lettering on the back to the name of that player...

The jersey fouls column at Puck Daddy is usually funny when you have people with some really dumb stuff on their jerseys or when they do things that could *really* be considered a sacrilege (like, tearing two jerseys apart and sewing their halves together). But sometimes it gets extreme and I'm getting this totally macho vibe with fans pointing fingers at others because some minor detail is off or someone customizes their jersey the way they like. Come on, even the official NHL shop puts up those ads with jerseys reading "YOUR NAME" on the backs. Don't like it, don't do that to your jersey, but if someone else likes it - who the hell are you to tell them not to wear it? And is it that big of a deal to rip people over it? Sheesh...

Personally, the only problem I'd have with the jersey would be the "01" on the back. :P No reason for that 0 in there. Oh, plus, maybe I wouldn't feel to comfortable with all the people around me seeing my last name instantly (if it is your last name, no the first name). But a jersey with my first name on the back, I probably wouldn't mind.

One thing I stopped doing a long time ago was lookiing down at knockoff jerseys and fans who wear them...jerseys that might not have the stripe proportions correct, or incorrect fonts, or be off in some other way.  Not everyone is as hardcore about these things as many of us might be...they might not even notice the differences, or might be aware of them but simply don't care.  Or maybe such fans really don't have much money, can't really swing the cost of a licensed authentic or replica, go on e-bay, see a knockoff selling for a lower cost, and decide to go that route.  If I see someone like that at a Devils game, the way I see it, at least he's 1) in the building and supporting his team, and 2) wearing something that shows he's supporting the team.  I'll take that guy over the opposing teams' fans in the building wearing authentics any day. 

• Like 1

One thing I stopped doing a long time ago was lookiing down at knockoff jerseys and fans who wear them...jerseys that might not have the stripe proportions correct, or incorrect fonts, or be off in some other way.  Not everyone is as hardcore about these things as many of us might be...they might not even notice the differences, or might be aware of them but simply don't care.  Or maybe such fans really don't have much money, can't really swing the cost of a licensed authentic or replica, go on e-bay, see a knockoff selling for a lower cost, and decide to go that route.  If I see someone like that at a Devils game, the way I see it, at least he's 1) in the building and supporting his team, and 2) wearing something that shows he's supporting the team.  I'll take that guy over the opposing teams' fans in the building wearing authentics any day. 

Edit: Nevermind.  I don't even want to start this debate.  Too tired.

Edited by DevsMan84

Edit: Nevermind.  I don't even want to start this debate.  Too tired.

I wasn't looking to start a debate on that topic anyway.  I'm sure there's a lot of people who hate knockoffs and everything about them.  I won't ever buy one myself. 

I wasn't looking to start a debate on that topic anyway.  I'm sure there's a lot of people who hate knockoffs and everything about them.  I won't ever buy one myself. 

You can count me in that category too.  I know you weren't trying to start a debate but it was bound to happen as this is a sure fire topic here and I usually get sucked in myself.  It's an arguement I know I can never really win so I thought about it and edited to just drop it lol.

so it's douchey to be original and not have to have an actual player's name on your jersey? since when!?

You're original and not just one of the herd buying another Brodeur jersey or like when we had Kovalchuk or Parise jumping on that bandwagon... I'd wear it! My sister actually just got her bf one with his last name on it, though she picked #9 (should have picked a number that isn't used by a real player)

I've seen plenty of people at games with what is obviously their last name on the name plate and a number of their choice. It's not douchey and it's not a "Jersey Foul" despite what Puck Daddy might say. A true foul is having an incorrect number for a player, a jersey for a player your team never had (or never will) or some idiotic nickname. (I will make an exception for one I saw made up to honor Lou though, had "LAMORIELLO" on the nameplate and a $ for the number. How you get a $ like that idk, but it was original)

Edited by Legion15

so it's douchey to be original and not have to have an actual player's name on your jersey? since when!?

You're original and not just one of the herd buying another Brodeur jersey or like when we had Kovalchuk or Parise jumping on that bandwagon... I'd wear it! My sister actually just got her bf one with his last name on it, though she picked #9 (should have picked a number that isn't used by a real player)

I've seen plenty of people at games with what is obviously their last name on the name plate and a number of their choice. It's not douchey and it's not a "Jersey Foul" despite what Puck Daddy might say. A true foul is having an incorrect number for a player, a jersey for a player your team never had (or never will) or some idiotic nickname. (I will make an exception for one I saw made up to honor Lou though, had "LAMORIELLO" on the nameplate and a $ for the number. How you get a $ like that idk, but it was original)

What about putting a current player on a scouts or rockies jersey?  I have seen them at the arena and honestly even Puck Daddy can't make up his mind as he has put them in both the foul and pass category.

I put it in the pass category, but just barely.

Wouldn't that include putting your own last name on the back? I mean, I don't think anyone is less a fan or person for wearing one, but imo, it's not cool. Just like I think those oversized sock hats are lame.

I am a huge devils fan but I've never bought myself a jersey. I just can't logically justify spending that much on clothing that I would only wear to the few games I can make it to or during playoff games.

At the same time I don't judge other fans for what they wear to games, customized, authentic, no jersey at all- like CR said, just be glad they're supporting the team in what way they can/want.

Oh no! Someone wants their last name on the back of their jersey they bought and paid for with their money! Maybe they saw how all those cool kids got stuck with those 17, 9, and 23 jerseys and said the hell with it on today's players who get traded and leave as FA's as fast as they come.

• Like 1

I have a jersey with my last name on and my birth year as the number (82, same as the Devils move to NJ).

I am not a douche, as evidence by being voted nicest poster here many years in a row.

So, there ya go.

You're just the nicest douche here.

• Like 1

Or a misspelled name (unless you're referencing that time Special Nieds wore a jersey with his name spelled wrong).

I read this and thought that maybe it was aimed at my comment.

But really where did this happen in this thread?

I totally agree with your comment.  I wasn't aiming at you or anyone else directly.  It is more the way this forum functions as of late.  Someone can post an opinion and if someone thinks the opinion is worthless or dumb the crap starts slinging.  As for ranting, seems only a certain sect are allowed to do that without having all sorts of crap slung at them.  And there are those who just like to dump on the same people time after time.  That is how they get their jollies.

I totally agree with your comment. I wasn't aiming at you or anyone else directly. It is more the way this forum functions as of late. Someone can post an opinion and if someone thinks the opinion is worthless or dumb the crap starts slinging. As for ranting, seems only a certain sect are allowed to do that without having all sorts of crap slung at them. And there are those who just like to dump on the same people time after time. That is how they get their jollies.

Ah fair play. I didn't want what I had posted to come across that way. Although it was a mini rant of sorts.

I agree that there seem to be a few personal slanging matches developing, but that happened the last time the team was in a tough spot.

I think a key piece of information that seems to have gotten lost in this thread is that the OP doesn't seem to like having his name on the back of the jersey.  It appears to me that he's not asking for acceptance, he's asking what to do with the customization that he isn't all that happy with.  I say if you're not happy with the jersey, fix it so you are happy with it and will wear it. 

I agree with the sentiment that it's kind of petty to criticize others for having their own name on their jersey, but that's not really what the original post was about.