2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

the thing with advanced stats and toronto compared to us is that, leave 10 good scoring chances to Van riemsdyk or Kessel and they'll put 6-7 in... then put the same chances for NJ and they'll net 2-3 lol

again shot quality and skills/precision from the shooter is not taken in considerations with stats and it makes a huge difference, i mean a tap in goal with both feet in the crease is a shot so is a wrister from the red line. Yet on paper its the same damn thing

Edited by SterioDesign

TEAM - GR - PTS - MAX - DIFF

TBL  - 17 -  75 - 109 - (+6)

PHI* - 17 -  73 - 107 - (+4)

CBJ  - 17 -  73 - 107 - (+4)

NYR* - 16 -  74 - 106 - (+3)
DET  - 17 -  71 - 105 - (+2)

----------------------------

NJD  - 16 -  71 - 103 - EVEN

OTT  - 17 -  68 - 102 - (-1)

WSH  - 15 -  70 - 100 - (-3)

CAR  - 17 -  65 -  99 - (-4)

Yeah, NJ is being given these odds of making the playoffs according to the various sites:

Hockey-reference Forecast:  41.4%

Sportsclubstats Weighted:  58.4%

Sportsclubstats 50/50:  39.4%

I believe sportsclubstats weighted throws out shootout results entirely when predicting or treats them as a coinflip.  Having the tiebreaker on just about everyone is nice too.

Our captain already does enough to hurt his own team!  :rimshot:

How in the hell?  How does that guy even stay in this league with behavior like that.  He's downright reckless.  I always felt he was a Scott Stevens type, but jesus, keep your head up and pay attention when you throw your body like that.

Edited by RizzMB30

How in the hell?  How does that guy even stay in this league with behavior like that.  He's downright reckless.  I always felt he was a Scott Stevens type, but jesus, keep your head up and pay attention when you throw your body like that.

Yeah, I watched it a few times, and I really can't believe how badly he missed that check.

Yeah, I watched it a few times, and I really can't believe how badly he missed that check.

He was probably thinking "What would David Clarkson do?"

the thing with advanced stats and toronto compared to us is that, leave 10 good scoring chances to Van riemsdyk or Kessel and they'll put 6-7 in... then put the same chances for NJ and they'll net 2-3 lol

again shot quality and skills/precision from the shooter is not taken in considerations with stats and it makes a huge difference, i mean a tap in goal with both feet in the crease is a shot so is a wrister from the red line. Yet on paper its the same damn thing

Steve Simmons, is that you? 

If two players scored 30 goals each - one all point shots and the other all from one foot out - which players 30 goals are 'better'?

3/13/14

Buffalo vs Carolina: Sabres

San Jose vs Columbus: Sharks

Florida vs Tampa Bay: Panthers

NY Rangers vs Minnesota: Wild

Toronto vs Los Angeles: Kings

gonna be barftastic rooting for Parise...at least for 1 night

gonna be barftastic rooting for Parise...at least for 1 night

Well, if it'll make you feel better maybe he won't have that much to do with the win. In any event, he made good on his promise that he wouldn't sign with the Rangers, so at least there's that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, if it'll make you feel better maybe he won't have that much to do with the win. In any event, he made good on his promise that he wouldn't sign with the Rangers, so at least there's that.

I'm still kind of pissed at JP Parise for his idiotic "Yea Zach would love to be a Ranger" outburst DURING the 2012 conference finals. I think he was definitely interested at one point, but I don't think his wife was thrilled with being here. If not for her...maybe he would be a Ranger

I'm still kind of pissed at JP Parise for his idiotic "Yea Zach would love to be a Ranger" outburst DURING the 2012 conference finals. I think he was definitely interested at one point, but I don't think his wife was thrilled with being here. If not for her...maybe he would be a Ranger

Ehh, I'll take Zach at his word, and that JP was just blowing smoke. And if I recall correctly, JP just mentioned the Rangers because of Torts, who Zach apparently liked as his Olympics cassistant coach, and not about bleeding Ranger blue or some other such nonsense.

Still going on with this. Phil Kessel is 2nd in the NHL in shots. You get shots on net and good things happen. Kessel is a great scorer, but he gets himself a lot of chances. JVR is the same and is 10th in shots on goal.

There isn't such thing as great players that score a ton but don't get many chances. You know who has a better shooting percentage than Phil Kessel? Patrik Elias at 15.4%. Who else? Adam Henrique at 19.2 percent. They have 91 and 120 shots respectively. Phil Kessel has 253 shots. Do you think either is a better shooter or scorer than Kessel?

Jaromir Jagr leads the Devils in shots and for most of the season has been the leading goal scorer. Last night he through a puck on net and went in. Not a great goal, but it was a shot.

Zach Parise was never a great goal scorer, but he thought a good game for him was to get 6-7 shots on net. He understand that more shots you got...the better chance you'd have to score a goal. Look at his shooting percentage per season. It doesn't fluctuate too much, but the season he scored 45 goals....he had the 3rd most shots in the NHL.

If you see an individual in the top 2 or 3 of NHL scoring who isn't in the top 10 in shots, you are most likely seeing a fluke goal-scoring season. Think Corry Perry in 2010-2011 with 50 goals. Never scored more than 37 in any other season.

Also, the guys you think are top shooters, for the most part are not all that much better than the average NHL player. So shot shot quality is very important.

Still going on with this. Phil Kessel is 2nd in the NHL in shots. You get shots on net and good things happen. Kessel is a great scorer, but he gets himself a lot of chances. JVR is the same and is 10th in shots on goal.

There isn't such thing as great players that score a ton but don't get many chances. You know who has a better shooting percentage than Phil Kessel? Patrik Elias at 15.4%. Who else? Adam Henrique at 19.2 percent. They have 91 and 120 shots respectively. Phil Kessel has 253 shots. Do you think either is a better shooter or scorer than Kessel?

Jaromir Jagr leads the Devils in shots and for most of the season has been the leading goal scorer. Last night he through a puck on net and went in. Not a great goal, but it was a shot.

Zach Parise was never a great goal scorer, but he thought a good game for him was to get 6-7 shots on net. He understand that more shots you got...the better chance you'd have to score a goal. Look at his shooting percentage per season. It doesn't fluctuate too much, but the season he scored 45 goals....he had the 3rd most shots in the NHL.

If you see an individual in the top 2 or 3 of NHL scoring who isn't in the top 10 in shots, you are most likely seeing a fluke goal-scoring season. Think Corry Perry in 2010-2011 with 50 goals. Never scored more than 37 in any other season.

Also, the guys you think are top shooters, for the most part are not all that much better than the average NHL player. So shot shot quality is very important.

Good scorers also knows how to position themselves and select their shots. Lets just take that whole text and resume it with.... Look at the shootouts... Every single guys has the same chance all alone with the puck, yet our guys simply cant put it in. Those are equal chances and theres a big difference in results right.