Photo

A frustrated fan says so long to the Canucks - Any STHs here walking?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I read some article on Philly.com about a Flyers fan who proposes boycotting the opener whenever the game returns. It might not sound like much, but if enough fans around the league went along with that idea, it would be a pretty cool statement.

There's been discussion about similar ideas on the puckpodcast. I think it would be a great idea for fans to stage a league-wide boycott of one NIGHT of hockey. Pick one of those nights when all (or almost all) the teams are playing, and ALL fans boycott that night. I realize it would be a monsterous undertaking to organize such a thing, and the chances of actually making it happen are virtually zero. But it would be perfect.

Edited by Brick Pig, 28 November 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#62 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

It would be easier to get fans to boycott concessions and beer for the season. It would also help the local businesses if more people pregamed. Still not that likely, but I could see more people being willing to sacrifice the convenience (not sarcastic) of paying too much for food at games than sacrifice hockey.

I'm fairly broke, and trying to save money in the possibly unrealistic hope of going to Brazil in 2 years for the World Cup, so I probably wasn't going to a game anyway, so much as I'd like to boycott for ethical reasons, this actually has nothing to do with me missing games.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#63 DEV1LDR1VER

DEV1LDR1VER

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

It's funny, I'd almost like to see an "eye for an eye" strategy adopted by the NHL fanbase...for every game that's canceled, we boycott one on the revised schedule. So say the NHL starts this season with, say, a 50-game schedule...fans then boycott the first 32 games, since 32 were taken away from us. I know it has no prayer of happening, but at least it might motivate these guys to settle a lot faster the next time.

Since the fans have no voice in the bargaining but are the 3rd party...this idea sounds cool.
The problem I will have with hockey is I pay game by game since I can't get season tickets. I am getting comfortable with that money in my pocket.
LIVE HARD!

#64 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Don't care about sides, feelings, none of that crap. I love hockey and the Devils are the closest, most convenient to reach pro team. If I stop watching NHL hockey, where am I gonna go to get my hockey fix? The next closest teams to me(besides NY, vomit) are the Trenton whatever they're called now, then probably the Pens AHL team in Wilkes Barre/Scranton. Both of which are at least as long a drive as Newark and will likely cost as much, if not more than seeing a Devils game. So, I would like to ask all you 'I'm gonna punish the NHL' people: Is letting the NHL know you're mad for realsies this time worth losing hockey over? The answer for me is, nah man, sh!t nah, I believe you get the sh!t kicked outta ya for saying something like that.

Hockey to me is just part of me, part of my life, inseparable from the rest. I grew up loving hockey, watching it, playing it. My first video game: NHL 95, some of my first(and best) memories of childhood: On the ice, playing hockey. This game is something I love more than I've loved most, if not all, things. Without it, my life is bleak, with it, I'm intoxicated. So tell me, are you to tell me I should live a bleak and sober life the next several months just because the NHL needs to learn a lesson? gtfo.

You want to poo on the NHL, don't buy licensed merchandise, don't watch NHL network, don't watch anything hockey related besides the Devils games on MSGs networks, but don't hurt yourself or the Devils because you got your panties in a bunch because big mean brother took away your favorite game.

That is a very nice and impassioned post, however it totally misses the point. Most of us aren't interested in punishing anyone, including ourselves. We are just discussing that the endless lockouts have taken their toll on even the most hardcore of fans. We've all pretty much agreed that no form of boycott will really work.

Also, at no point did anyone tell you or anyone else not to go to games or enjoy the Devils. A few of us just personally have less interest than we did during 2004-05 lockout. It's not a 'who's a bigger fan' contest.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#65 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

It's not a 'who's a bigger fan' contest.

You're missing the point too, though. Nobody is saying it's a "who's the bigger fan contest."
My initial post in this thread that took some heat was misinterpreted in the same way.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#66 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

That is a very nice and impassioned post, however it totally misses the point. Most of us aren't interested in punishing anyone, including ourselves. We are just discussing that the endless lockouts have taken their toll on even the most hardcore of fans. We've all pretty much agreed that no form of boycott will really work.

Also, at no point did anyone tell you or anyone else not to go to games or enjoy the Devils. A few of us just personally have less interest than we did during 2004-05 lockout. It's not a 'who's a bigger fan' contest.

That's the thing too. In the three seasons after the lockout, I wasn't actively or conscientiously protesting the league over the lockout. I just simply learned to live without it and almost had to reignite my passion for it the same way it was before the lockout.

#67 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

It would be easier to get fans to boycott concessions and beer for the season. It would also help the local businesses if more people pregamed. Still not that likely, but I could see more people being willing to sacrifice the convenience (not sarcastic) of paying too much for food at games than sacrifice hockey.

I'm fairly broke, and trying to save money in the possibly unrealistic hope of going to Brazil in 2 years for the World Cup, so I probably wasn't going to a game anyway, so much as I'd like to boycott for ethical reasons, this actually has nothing to do with me missing games.

That's definitely a reasonable 'compromise' solution, although it falls under the parameter of punishing the team in a sense since they do get concession money, it also helps the local businesses (which suffered the most with this lockout) and doesn't punish yourself. Ironically because of the food and beverage card I'm supposed to be getting I don't have to worry about buying concessions there anyway per se. The only thing that might be problematic to go without for me are programs since I like to get them as souveniers for Opening Day, the playoffs and other big events, and you can't get them outside the arena so I might have to make an exception for that.

As far as your second (somewhat OT) point, I do hope the World Cup comes back to the US in my lifetime, I was too young to really go myself in '94 but I'd definitely go if I had another chance.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 28 November 2012 - 10:14 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#68 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

You're missing the point too, though. Nobody is saying it's a "who's the bigger fan contest."
My initial post in this thread that took some heat was misinterpreted in the same way.

It may not be intended, but it comes off that way. Here's a couple of quotes from earlier in the thread:

Obviously, you weren't a very big hockey fan in the first place if that's the case.

If you're such a big fan, you'd continue to go to games and continue to watch.

By definition, a true fan doesn't give up on the team

We are all fans here. Just because some react differently than others doesn't make anyone lesser fans. If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't have a few thousand bucks sitting in the Vanderbeek's bank account while I wait for this thing to end.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#69 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yes, agree on all counts. I know my "eye for an eye" idea would never fly, because there are thousands of fans like JWomp and ATLL765 who just want their NHL hockey, end of story. There simply aren't enough potential boycotters who would ever follow through on something as extreme as not showing up for the same number of games that were taken off the schedule. If I ever got into "Let me teach the NHL something, we'll show them!" mode and really tried to make something like "eye for an eye" happen, by hitting as many Devils fansites and trying to get as many Devils fans as possible on board, how many would really go for it? Or the better question: how many season ticket holders would get on board? If were to guess, I'm thinking, after a month of endless "recruiting", I might get 20 fans, most of whom would be casual fans who go to maybe 5 games a year, tops. I'd have a very hard time getting even one season ticket holder to go along. In the end, no one would even notice.

But it's like DD56 says, I was never out to punish anyone or make statements, or to tell anyone what to do...sure, I think running right back tells the squabbling parties involved that it's OK to sh!t on their product over and over again, but at the same time, the Devils fans who do run right back are spending their hard-earned on a franchise for me that clearly needs every last penny it can get. There's pros and cons to every fan's approach, which is why there's really no right and wrong. Like I've said, at this point I think I'd like to drive up to Newark if/when the season starts up, and watch my first games in the local restaurants, because I sympathize much more with those people that I do the players and owners. I'd to see THEM make some money.

JWomp, your first post wasn't misinterpreted one bit, it was loud and clear, and DD56 quoted you on why. You called me out on how big a fan I was because my reaction to all of this wasn't the same as yours.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#70 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Multiple people have made mentions about how they are not going to game in order to punish the league through a boycott. I don't care about being a bigger fan, I'm just giving you my perspective as a hockey lover that would have to inconvenience himself greatly in order to enjoy hockey sans NHL. I work M-F during the day, so I can't catch live KHL games, it's hard to find good highlights and it's just not the same when you can't follow closely like I can with the NHL. If there was high level hockey, near me, that I could get to in as much time or less, pay as much or less to see, than I would, but that doesn't exist for me. I love to see my younger brother play, but watching a bunch of 9 year olds play isn't quite the same as pro hockey.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind really. And if anyone missed my last sentence in the first paragraph, that was a reference to Office Space, not my actual thoughts.

I'm all for trying to prove a point to the NHL, that's why I mentioned boycotting anything that gains them revenue, that would not otherwise affect you seeing hockey.

As for being a bigger fan or not, if you can stay away from hockey, you are not as big of a fan as I am, period. I'm not saying stay away from NHL hockey, I mean all hockey. The only reason I only bring up the NHL, is that I have no alternative to it. If anyone could tell me where there is high level pro hockey that's as convenient and cheap as seeing the Devils in Newark, I'd love to see it, but I don't have that here in NW NJ.

#71 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I may check out the Titans...I still love the sport. That won't ever change. It's about 45 mins or so away for me, same as Newark. Might see a game or two in Albany too. I do miss watching hockey a lot.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#72 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I may check out the Titans...I still love the sport. That won't ever change. It's about 45 mins or so away for me, same as Newark. Might see a game or two in Albany too. I do miss watching hockey a lot.

Also do not forget Princeton Tigers hockey too. Cheap tickets and only about 20 min from me!

#73 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I would like to know if STH who paid in full will still be getting the "bonus" for doing so even if there is NO season... I do not recall there being any requirement other than to pay in full for 2012-2013 by X date. :)

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#74 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Also do not forget Princeton Tigers hockey too. Cheap tickets and only about 20 min from me!

Good idea, thanks!

#30 FOREVER!

#75 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I would like to know if STH who paid in full will still be getting the "bonus" for doing so even if there is NO season... I do not recall there being any requirement other than to pay in full for 2012-2013 by X date. :)

I'm sure they would give you the same thing for '13-14 if there was no season. The tricky part is if there's a shortened season this year, they can't offer as many suites, there's not as many games where tours can be arranged, etc. I don't even know what I 'won', just what I'm getting (a $200 f/b card, plus practice and I think team awards tickets). Heck, they still have to offer out restitution for people that picked equipment sale access as a reward since there was no equipment sale.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#76 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

That being said, even though Colin makes strong points on why it's good for the Devil organization for fans to go flocking back the minute the Devils are back on the ice, I can't do it. Not right away. I'm just too annoyed about all of it. Just about everyone involved has come off as so unlikable and unsympathetic, even though if I have to pick a side, I'm going with the players. But it's like I've said in a previous post...after seeing news story after news story about people who lost absolutely everything due to Hurricane Sandy, this lockout nonsense has a way of seeming a lot less significant, in the grand scheme.

Me not wanting to be a part of the NHL for a while has nothing to do with wanting to stick it to anyone...they've just sapped my enthusiasm for the game, my desire to go watch the product, which I didn't think was possible until this season, as I came sprinting back in '95 and '05. The fact is, if someone gave me freebies to the first game of the season, I wouldn't want to go...I wouldn't enjoy the experience, and it will be a while before I feel differently...how long, I don't know. If anything, once I start to thaw, I wouldn't mind watching some games in the local Newark restaurants and bars...support those businesses that did absolutely nothing to deserve the hand they've been dealt.

After the shenanigans of the last three days I'm pretty much getting to this point. Just two days ago I was excited for Opening Night but now I'm at a point where I'm contemplating just selling my season tickets and profiting until I'm good and ready to come back. If they're going to constantly hit us over the head with the 'business', fine...then I'll also treat it like a business for a while too.

I probably will go to Opening Night - assuming there is one - just to see other people I haven't seen since the lockout started but after this charade it'll take me a while to care again, too. And I definitely won't be going to the same percentage of games this regular season.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 December 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#77 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

After the shenanigans of the last three days I'm pretty much getting to this point. Just two days ago I was excited for Opening Night but now I'm at a point where I'm contemplating just selling my season tickets and profiting until I'm good and ready to come back. If they're going to constantly hit us over the head with the 'business', fine...then I'll also treat it like a business for a while too.

I probably will go to Opening Night - assuming there is one - just to see other people I haven't seen since the lockout started but after this charade it'll take me a while to care again, too. And I definitely won't be going to the same percentage of games this regular season.

I'm right there with you. My interest in supporting any of these clowns has diminished to basically zero. It's going to take me a long time to get back into it whenever it comes back.

#78 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

That logic makes no sense. The Devils organization has nothing to do with the lockout...why punish them (and yourself) because a select few are being stubborn enough to drag this out?

I just don't understand the fans who say they're "giving up" or "not a hockey fan anymore" or they "lose interest" after a work stoppage. Obviously, you weren't a very big hockey fan in the first place if that's the case.

disagree 100%!! the ONLY way my voice can be heard is by not going or not buying or whatever I choose to do.. after 94 I found something else to occupy my time during sept & October & I was finaished w/ baseball..

If they cancel the NHL season you can bet my interest is going to lessen, love th devils, but no way I'm going back tothe arena, even if I get free tix. I'll probably watch the games on TV, but no merchandise purchaes either.

2 seasons in 6 years is CRAZY/./// I truly hope spmepne tries to start a new league.///
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#79 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

After the shenanigans of the last three days I'm pretty much getting to this point. Just two days ago I was excited for Opening Night .

Thats sums it up for me as well!

So aggravated over this whole process!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I know not everyone feels the way we do, but more and more have to be heading that way on a daily basis.

The Triumphs of the world can talk about every last in and out of what's going on all they want, and of course there's always much more going on than two parties coming across as being unsympathetic, stubborn, spoiled and annoying, but the fact is most fans don't want to know all of the ins and outs of CBA negotiations...most fans have plenty on their plates already in their daily lives and don't want to be bothered with the business side of it...they want their game back, and they're getting sick of seeing it taken away from them with seemingly no regard for them or the game itself. Yes, it's a simplistic way of thinking, but for most fans, NHL hockey is supposed to be a simple and entertaining diversion.

Satans Hockey said it well...it's not about who's technically right or wrong anymore...in a growing number of fans' eyes, it's about a bunch of millionaire and billionaire clowns acting like squabbling infants.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users