BEER

TrentonDevils

You "unfriend" people because they like a beer you don't?

Pretty shallow.

Anyway, Bud is a staple in my garage since college (high school ) and will remain till the day I die. However, I love multitudes of beers, but Bud is literally NEVER not in my fridge.

I brewed my own beer 3 years ago that was probably the best I ever drank, and my current brew is very good too.

You "unfriend" people because they like a beer you don't?

Pretty shallow.

Anyway, Bud is a staple in my garage since college (high school ) and will remain till the day I die. However, I love multitudes of beers, but Bud is literally NEVER not in my fridge.

I brewed my own beer 3 years ago that was probably the best I ever drank, and my current brew is very good too.

Yes, I am a pretty shallow guy.

I brewed my beer at the brewers apprentice in Freehold. This brew is like a summer ale.

That's cool! It sounds like a birthday party activity for 30something year olds! I mean that in a good way -- well you're a dad - you know!

Everyone I know uses just the worst crap one guy fermented it in bags :doh1:

I drink that "french Lemonade" they have in stopper bottles...my brother-in-law has me save those for bottle fermenting. A former co-worker was really serious about her brewing -- she was probably the best brewer I've known. She did a beautiful chocolate stout... who DOES that? She's the one who's got me into thinking about growing my own hops. Anyhow she had a bunch of kegs large and small.

One of my old neighbors with just WAAY too much time on his hands had the whole brass kettle set up in our little complex... wtf! :lol:

Beer Advocate is the best, I learned a ton about beer from that website. I don't post reviews or anything, but it is great for general information about beer (various styles, which glassware to use, etc.), and also to see what average ratings beers have before deciding to buy it.

Beer Advocate is the best, I learned a ton about beer from that website. I don't post reviews or anything, but it is great for general information about beer (various styles, which glassware to use, etc.), and also to see what average ratings beers have before deciding to buy it.

Thats exactly what I do. I dont rate or anything like that but I do check out beers that I happen to see and dont recognize on the shelf. If it gets good ratings and people say decent things about it, Ill go buy it and try it myself.

I really dont think people realize how wide and vast the world of beer really is.

I mean....Bud Light got a D- on the site. :rofl::puke: They clearly know what they are talking about.

Thats exactly what I do. I dont rate or anything like that but I do check out beers that I happen to see and dont recognize on the shelf. If it gets good ratings and people say decent things about it, Ill go buy it and try it myself.

I really dont think people realize how wide and vast the world of beer really is.

I mean....Bud Light got a D- on the site. :rofl::puke: They clearly know what they are talking about.

Bud should be F. I'd rather drink dog piss while it is having a UTI after rolling around in the mud for 10 hours.

One thing you have to give to AB is that their product is consistent. It always tastes the same, albeit some can't stomach it and some love it. New to this thread, but this was my haul for last week. All singles.

IMG_0247.jpg

This week I scooped up a Founders KBS, Ballast Point Sculpin, Stone Ruination, Green Flash West Coast IPA, some more of the ones above and a Lindemans Framboise for the lady to try ;)

For the hop-heads in here, skip the Anderson Valley and beg/borrow/steal to find the Founders Devil Dancer.

Edited by Baggy Spandex

..........and you are obviously the authority on beer.

Although his opinion may differ from yours, you have to admire his passion :rofl:

I happen to thing seafood tastes like garbage juice, but everyone in my family loves it. I won't try to change their mind though. I'll just have the chicken, please.

One thing you have to give to AB is that their product is consistent. It always tastes the same, albeit some can't stomach it and some love it. New to this thread, but this was my haul for last week. All singles.

This week I scooped up a Founders KBS, Ballast Point Sculpin, Stone Ruination, Green Flash West Coast IPA, some more of the ones above and a Lindemans Framboise for the lady to try ;)

For the hop-heads in here, skip the Anderson Valley and beg/borrow/steal to find the Founders Devil Dancer.

Dude where did you find Devil Dancer? None of the stores I called have it yet. Speaking of imperial IPAs, I just got five bottles of Pliny the Elder delivered to me today as part of a trade with someone else on Beer Advocate. I never had it before, can't wait to pop one open when I get home from work tomorrow!

And what the hell store still has KBS?!?!

Edited by devilsfan26

and so must you be after taking a remedial course on brewing beer that I see advertised all over the place online.

I don't even know what that means. You are a beer snob, and I've never even heard of one before. If I like my Budweiser, good for me.

Jimmy, do you like that place? I keep seeing ads for it and meant to check it out.

Costs about $200 or so when all done. You get about 72-76 22 oz. bottles of beer. Multitudes of different brews to choose to brew.

Drinking a Long Trail Brewmaster Series Double IPA right now -- courtesy of Devilminder's recommendation, I believe. I also recently tried River Horse's Hop-A-Lot-Amus, thanks to DM's recommendation.

A few that devilsfan26 recommended that I tried recently and liked were Stone Ruination IPA (loved it so much I bought more -- damn, it's expensive), Flying Fish's Exit 4 -- damn, that stuff is strong (but good!), and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

I, too, hope Baggy Spandex writes back to let us know where he got the Founders Devil Dancer and KBS.

I've heard a few people talk about Firestone Walker Union Jack (Paso Robles, Calif.), but I haven't seen it in stores yet.

Lastly, I tried Lagunitas Hop Stoopid recently.

All of the above I liked a lot (except for the Firestone Walker Union Jack, which I'm wating to try).

Edited by 95Crash

With regards to MillerCoors and Anheuser-Busch...the fact that I dislike the taste of their beer isn't even the reason I hate those companies, it's the way they do business and manipulate the beer industry to their benefit. If they tried to put out a good beer and just didn't do a good job that's one thing, but quality isn't even part of their business strategy. They use cheap ingredients and have no interest in styles that are really great but take more time and effort to brew. Rather than competing by making a better product, they buy up competing craft breweries and push them hard for a few months as a way to knock out the other craft taps and then once that is done they just run it into the ground. They constantly break the law by offering bars and stores free kegs or cases if they stop selling beer from certain craft breweries or move it to a less visible part of the aisle, they sue craft breweries over frivolous things just to make them use up their limited resources (for example Anheuser-Busch sued Dogfish Head over use of the word "Pumpkin"), they manipulate the marketplace with their lobbyists clamoring for ridiculous and illogical laws that serve no function other than to preserve their dominance by throwing tons of obstacles in the way of craft beer's distribution (i.e. the three-tier system). As a result, creativity, entrepreneurship, and quality are all stifled. They have no interest in making a quality product or free market competition.

I prefer that my money go to the guys who actually want to make good beer than the ones who just want to maximize their stock prices by any means necessary other than increasing quality. I can't wrap my head around people who claim to be beer enthusiasts yet continue to support the massive companies who only want to crush the entire beer industry except for adjunct light lagers.

A few that devilsfan26 recommended that I tried recently and liked were Stone Ruination IPA (loved it so much I bought more -- damn, it's expensive), Flying Fish's Exit 4 -- damn, that stuff is strong (but good!), and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

Cool, glad you liked them! With Ruination (and most or all IPAs), the beer is better the fresher it is. I think there is a best by date on the neck of the bottle, which is 90 days after the bottling date, so if you subtract three months from the date on the bottle you can determine how fresh it is. Most of the time, the date on the bottle refers to the day the beer was bottled, but Stone is different, most of their beers show a best by date of 90 days after the bottling date.

Edited by devilsfan26

Just tried a Pliny the Elder (#3 on BeerAdvocate). Very good, but didn't really live up to the hype for me unfortunately. Although I can see how this could be world class if you like really balanced imperial IPAs, but I like my imperial IPAs to dropkick me in the face with an overwhelming hop flavor. It's probably harder to make a very smooth and balanced IIPA like this, so credit to Russian River for filling that need though. This one was bottled on June 16th, so maybe it is better fresher, but I feel like three weeks isn't all that old.

Anyway, I prefer Devil Dancer, Ruination, and Exit 16. I think Exit 16 may be my favorite IPA. Maybe I'm just being a New Jersey homer, but I don't think so. :)

Edited by devilsfan26