Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Mets now a combined 17-10 in Harvey/Wheeler starts...and that's with Harvey getting fvcked royally either by his manager overworking him or his teammates' not scoring runs for him.  Harvey is 8-2 and Wheeler is 4-1.  Clearly Wheeler is still a work in progress, but hard not to be excited about what could be coming with these two.   

Looks like Murph may be about to go on one of those locked-in streaks he gets into here and there...the ones that seem to propel his BA from the .270s to the .300s in what feels like an eyeblink (before slumping for 3-4 weeks).

Sabermetrician's wet dream game for Mejia so far:  3 IP, 0 R, 4 K.  5 hits allowed (sabes guys tend to ignore that), but hasn't hurt his pitch count for the game (44 thrown so far).  If he can get through six with his team still holding a lead, he'll more than have done his job.   

If not for Murph, Zimmerman would be having a terrific game so far...6 Ks in 3.1 IP.

Ike walks...seems like it's major cause for celebration whenever he gets on base.

Make that 7 Ks in 4 IP...yikes. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Valdespin continues to rake in the PCL (.406 BA, 1.143 OB+SLG, 15 RBI in just 8 GP).  Let him stay there...team's doing just fine without him. 

Sabermetrician's wet dream game for Mejia so far: 3 IP, 0 R, 4 K. 5 hits allowed (sabes guys tend to ignore that), but hasn't hurt his pitch count for the game (44 thrown so far). If he can get through six with his team still holding a lead, he'll more than have done his job.

Half of these hits have been of the junk/soft contact variety. Most importantly, his stuff has looked way better than I anticipated. Edited by nmigliore

This start has been more impressive than any Wheeler start this far and it's not close. I don't mean from a numbers standpoint either, I'm talking stuff, contact, etc. Still just 3 innings though so I don't want to go too crazy.

Edited by nmigliore

I thought Wheeler's 7/10 start was good, but I've pointed out that he's gotten a tremendous amount of luck in his starts to date.  He is extremely fortunate to be 4-1 with a 3.72 ERA...I feel like he's gotten just about every break possible.  The good thing is when things go your way like that, in an odd sort of way, it can build confidence.

Nats have got to be kicking themselves right now...good for Mejia that he is stranding these guys, and keeping his pitch count reasonable to boot. 

Nice job by both Lagares and Murph to drive up Zimmerman's pitch count, after Mejia bunted into a DP. 

Only 67 pitches through 5 IP for Mejia.  Mets might be able to get 7 out of him. 

The question with him will be his health.  Can the guy actually survive a season? 

Speaking of which...97 pitches through 7 and five runs to work with.  Does Terry give Mejia the 8th?

I would pull him, absolutely no reason to push it. He's also pitching with bone chips in his elbow that requires offseason surgery.

But absolutely fantastic outing for him. I hope he stays in the rotation picture; I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go to a 6-man rotation and it'll help them limit Harvey and Wheeler a bit.

Juan Lagares is an excellent defender in CF; metrics back it up too. May as well play him everyday instead of platooning with Kirk.

Edited by nmigliore

Agree on Mejia, I was thinking if anything, given Terry's penchant for occasionally going overlong with starting pitchers and the fact that the Mets are playing a DH, that Terry might be tempted to squeeze another inning out of Mejia.

Kirk can't hit either.  Lagares is having a nice July.  Why not play him everyday? 

Mejia out, Rice in.  Terrific job by Mejia...didn't walk anyone, survived the baserunners early on, gave the Mets far more than they had any right to expect. 

BTW this is all small sample sh!t, but check out Lagares' month-by-month OB+SLG:

April:  .298

May:  .486

June:  .667

July:  .952 

The question with him will be his health.  Can the guy actually survive a season? 

Speaking of which...97 pitches through 7 and five runs to work with.  Does Terry give Mejia the 8th?

I always thought the biggest problem with Mejia is that they rushed him to the bigs so quickly cause Jerry was trying to save his job, and they were shuttling him back and forth between the pen and starting Joba-style because of it.  Just like Joba he broke down.

But yeah today was a good sign, though the Nats are a surprisingly poor offensive team this year.

3-run homer for Ike, wow. 11-0!

File that one under "whoop" for "whoop-de-damn-do".  Good to see Ike can hit them when it really counts.