GDT Devils @ Canadiens 7:30

lazer

At this rate, it's quite possible all three of the Devils, Rangers, and Flyers miss the playoffs.

Call me crazy. But I think it's more likely all three make it. 

For all three three to miss... one of the Islanders, Hurricanes or Blue Jackets would have to secure that third divisional spot. I don't have confidence in the Hurricanes. The Blue Jackets have the best shot in my opinion. They haven't been healthy this year. The Islanders will probably fire their coach at some point and go on a run. But they may be to tempted to trade Vanek rather than risk him leave via free agency, and then they've removed Matt Moulson's 25 + goals for essentially nothing.

The Lightning and Leafs are struggling and both could drop from the wild card spots although I think they'll be competitive all season (especially the Leafs.) Stamkos' injury and Ben Bishop's play will likely dictate the success of Tampa's season.

Sadly I think the Devils are the most likely to miss the playoffs out of the group you mentioned. But the season is still young. Who knows what can happen.

Edited by devils102

lot of people Suddenly Jibing Pete in here I see.  Sestito and Janssen sucks, but it is really nothing compared to the horrible power play, where the puck movement and the players are far too slow.  I don't see what fixes that.  I think they had 1 shot on 3 power plays which is unacceptable.

Bottom lines get fixed somewhat when they realize Janssen isn't needed anymore, although realizing that about Gionta will take much longer, I fear (and indeed may take just Lou not re-signing him after this year).  Still, your 4th line is largely unimportant - at least this year the Devils have 9 forwards they like playing, not 7 like at some portions of 2011-12.

As for 2 goals, the Devils have to be getting points when they score 2 goals a large portion of the time.  Like 70% of the time when they score 2 goals in regulation they should be getting at least 1 point.  They're not a historically great defense but they are close.  But Brodeur has lost his last 4 starts and Schneider has won his last 3 - I believe the idea that Brodeur just wins and that Schneider doesn't has been retired.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

I still say you have to get creative for offense on this team. Put Zids on the wing. Demote #25, #11 and Sestito. Play Teds, JJ, Carter when helathy. Let Bryce come back on a 3rd pairing or bring up Helgeson or play Harrold. You need to ice the most skilled players you can. Goals by committee is the only way. Also, ride Schneids until you can't.

And my comparison to Zids to Burns is correct. Burns played forward back in 2003 in a league that was essentially street hockey. Zids in the O zone would be loke picking up a middle 6 forward or better.

Maybe trade Brunner, Sal, and Kinkaid/Wedgewood for a middle 6 player.

Edited by hystyk28

2 goals SHOULD be enough for at least a point when allowing 20 shots

They would have had 4 if not for PK Subban.

But 17 shots on net shouldn't lead to 3 goals against.  Only one of the goals Marty should have stopped though.  He couldn't do anything on the Pacioretty and Galchenyuk goals.

After 28 games in previous years.

05-06: 29 points (finished with 101 points)

06-07: 36 points (finished with 107 points)

07-08: 36 points (finished with 99 points)

08-09: 35 points (finished with 106 points)

09-10: 41 points (finished with 103 points)

*10-11: 18 points (finished with 81 points)

11-12: 29 points (finished with 102 points)

*12-13: 32 points (finished with 48 points)

**13-14: 27 points

*missed playoffs

**season in progress

It is hard to understand why Janssen continues to play when we need offense. The same can be said about Gionta when he is healthy. I understand it is Pete and Lou.

Josefson who was a bench warmer is now playing in the PK explain that? I know the answer Good for Josefson and us fans.

Marty loses 3 in a row and he starts in Montreal against a hot team when you have Schneider on the bench?

Marty allows 3 of 17, no way. He was off 2 of the 3 were on him alone. He now has 4 starts with 4 losses does he start Wednesday, NO WAY, but with Pete and Lou maybe.

It difficult to be a Devils fan with team management like we have.

lot of people Suddenly Jibing Pete in here I see.  Sestito and Janssen sucks, but it is really nothing compared to the horrible power play, where the puck movement and the players are far too slow.  I don't see what fixes that.  I think they had 1 shot on 3 power plays which is unacceptable.

Bottom lines get fixed somewhat when they realize Janssen isn't needed anymore, although realizing that about Gionta will take much longer, I fear (and indeed may take just Lou not re-signing him after this year).  Still, your 4th line is largely unimportant - at least this year the Devils have 9 forwards they like playing, not 7 like at some portions of 2011-12.

As for 2 goals, the Devils have to be getting points when they score 2 goals a large portion of the time.  Like 70% of the time when they score 2 goals in regulation they should be getting at least 1 point.  They're not a historically great defense but they are close.  But Brodeur has lost his last 4 starts and Schneider has won his last 3 - I believe the idea that Brodeur just wins and that Schneider doesn't has been retired.

Marty's 2013-14 save% is down to .906, which is about his norm since 2010-11 overall (I've pointed out the peaks in that time period).  It's .878 in his last five games.  Schneider's save% in his last five is .957.  If Cory hasn't earned the right to play in the next three games (and I think Cory can handle playing in back-to-back games just fine...the guy is friggin' 27 years old and has only played in 12 games this year...not like he's been overworked), then DeBoer is just being flat-out stubborn.  Marty's hot streak was a lot of fun to watch and it's always great to see him play well and add to his win total, and I think he'll have another little streak like that during this season at some point, but that doesn't mean he's earned a goaltending split for the next month, especially when the other guy is stopping pucks and doing it at a terrific rate.   

No excuse for not getting a point holding them to 20 shots

17 shots actually. 

Devils have given up 63 goals this season (excluding phantom SO goals).  That's 2.25 GPGA.  They've scored 61 (2.18 GPGF).  That's pretty rotten.  We know they've been shut out five times (as one would expect, all losses) and scored just one goal five times (1-3-1 in those games, which actually isn't that bad for a team that struggles to score as much as the Devils do).  They're 2-3-2 when they score two goals, and Tri is right, they need to find ways to get more points out of these two-goals-for games (and they're probably not going to get many extra points in shootouts).  The Devils are 8-1-2 when they score 3+ (not really a surprise, as they've been good at keep GA down), but they're not going to get to 3+ very often (they're just as likely to score 3+ as they are to score 1 or less). 

If the Devils can come away with 55%-60% of the points available in two-goals-for games, I think they make the playoffs, but they have to cut down on the one-or-less games.  Right now they're on pace to have 29 such games, which is pretty scary.      

DeBoer IS stubborn, nothing new there

I want to see what he does as the evidence mounts that Schneider should be playing signficantly more.  Marty's 6-game run of terrific play definitely complicated things, but now he's on a run that's clearly gone the other way (and this is the second such run for Marty this season).  The last few years show he's been inconsistent.  I think to an extent, DeBoer's had some people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is now two straight games where Marty was given a start many thought Schneider deserved, and the results have been lousy (.821 save% combined in the two games, on just 39 shots combined).  And the team is not in a position to give away games.  Schneider has earned the right to start for a while...not sure what more he has to do. 

DeBoer's had some people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is now two straight games where Marty was given a start many thought Schneider deserved, and the results have been lousy (.821 save% combined in the two games, on just 39 shots combined).  And the team is not in a position to give away games.  Schneider has earned the right to start for a while...not sure what more he has to do. 

The thing with DeBoer is that he is a great system's coach. Is he poor at man management? Yeah, but I think I'd rather have it this way than vice versa, and who knows what the next guy will be like if he's fired? 

I want to see what he does as the evidence mounts that Schneider should be playing signficantly more.  Marty's 6-game run of terrific play definitely complicated things, but now he's on a run that's clearly gone the other way (and this is the second such run for Marty this season).  The last few years show he's been inconsistent.  I think to an extent, DeBoer's had some people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is now two straight games where Marty was given a start many thought Schneider deserved, and the results have been lousy (.821 save% combined in the two games, on just 39 shots combined).  And the team is not in a position to give away games.  Schneider has earned the right to start for a while...not sure what more he has to do. 

there's no need to look at it in details like that. Like honestly, how many times did DeBoer sat a young D who never deserved to be sitting for an struggling vet. Or sitting a young forward for janssen and Gionta when it was obviously not the right move. etc etc etc. 

Seeing him giving undeserved games to Marty ahead of Schneider is not even surprising me. Its just frustrating to see how our management can be so stubborn on so many levels.

there's no need to look at it in details like that. Like honestly, how many times did DeBoer sat a young D who never deserved to be sitting for an struggling vet. Or sitting a young forward for janssen and Gionta when it was obviously not the right move. etc etc etc. 

Seeing him giving undeserved games to Marty ahead of Schneider is not even surprising me. Its just frustrating to see how our management can be so stubborn on so many levels.

I was talking about the goaltending situation specifically, hence the details. 

The thing with DeBoer is that he is a great system's coach. Is he poor at man management? Yeah, but I think I'd rather have it this way than vice versa, and who knows what the next guy will be like if he's fired? 

I'm not an anti-DeBeor guy at all, but if Marty isn't stopping pucks and Schneider is, and the team needs wins, it's easy to do the math.

I cannot understand why so many are complaining we need more offense so we should sit Janssen and sestito. Is tedenby or Boucher on the 4th line for 5 mins a game really going to make a difference offensively?

I guess a lot of people just need someone to point fingers to. News flash- Janssen and sestito didn't necessarily play bad, the barely played at all. 4:18 for Janssen and 7:50 for sestito.

It's frustrating but the plays we should be looking at are the ones we had wide open net but couldn't get it past a defenseman's stick, or the one where Elias couldn't clear the zone which led to borque's goal, or open shots in the slot fired wide.

Stop complaining about cam Janssens 4 mins on the ice like it cost us the game...it had no effect whatsoever.

Edited by dmann422