Visiting from the UK...

islandmonkey

Hi, I'm coming over with my family to see the Devils play in February & I was wondering if any of you guys could help with some advice?

We're staying in the Secaucus-Meadowlands area but have been told that there is no way of getting to the arena except by car... Is this true or are there buses etc? I guess we can get a taxi out there but I'm not sure about getting back.

Our stay is for 8 days so we're hoping to do some touristy stuff when not watching hockey..!

The whole family is really exited at the prospect of finally seeing the Devils live, its tough to follow them from England & we have to make do with our local team. They play in the top league in the UK but are the only 'small town' team & struggle with money & crowds... (http://www.bstokebison.co.uk/home.php)

Thanks for reading & any advice is welcome. :evil:

Edited by islandmonkey

Welcome!

You guys heard correct, our out-of-date dying soon to be parking lot arena is totally inaccesible by public transportation and any other form of modern conviences!!

Any idea which game(s) you are planning to attend?

Welcome!

You guys heard correct, our out-of-date dying soon to be parking lot arena is totally inaccesible by public transportation and any other form of modern conviences!!

Any idea which game(s) you are planning to attend?

We've got tickets for Feb 16, Pittsburgh Penguins & Feb 20, New York Rangers. We were also looking at trying to get tickets for the game at the Islanders on the 17th. Any thoughts on how best to make that journey?

I don't want you guys to think I'm using you as free tourist info but its tough to find out stuff like this! :rolleyes:

We've got tickets for Feb 16, Pittsburgh Penguins & Feb 20, New York Rangers. We were also looking at trying to get tickets for the game at the Islanders on the 17th. Any thoughts on how best to make that journey?

I don't want you guys to think I'm using you as free tourist info but its tough to find out stuff like this! :rolleyes:

I've been nothing more then an internet tour guide for people for over 10 years now... no big deal :lol:

So where exactly are ya's staying??

That maters alot, but make a best effort to be parking your car and heading in aboout 630-645ish and you should be ok!

The Islanders game... best bet is to drive there too I have NO idea how to get there by train and less wanting too... but I'd say give it about 2 hours from the hotel to your seat in the arena, and pray there's no issues in the Tunnel!

Oh, now I see where you're at.... the U-Turn to get back on to Route 3 is a pain in the ass, but once you guys do that you'll be ok.... if I was you guys i'd make a trial run to the Swamp just to make sure you guys got it ok before you brave it in the vintage rush hour traffic

That's great to see one of the reasons you are coming over is to see the devils. I have got to make it over to England to see Liverpool at Anfield.

Yeah, like Crasher has said, this season everything having to do with our arena kind of stinks for moving people around (one of the main reasons attendance is low). Next season in the new building should be a lot easier. For example, next season you could stay in Manhattan or anywhere near the NJTransit rail, and just take a train in to 400 ft from the arena, but I guess none of that is useful to you for February.

That's great to see one of the reasons you are coming over is to see the devils.

Its not one of the reasons its the only reason! I'm just lucky that I've been blessed with a wife & 2 kids that love hockey, (Like they had a choice... :unsure: )

The kids have a week off school so I thought this would be a good time to see the Devils. They really enjoy our local hockey team but I think that seeing the Devils will be like the difference between watching a pub soccer team & then Liverpool,or my club Manchester CITY!* (No that's wrong City ARE a pub team...)

*Please note CITY not that other Manchester lot! :angry:

And remember to drive on the RIGHT side of the road!!!

One of my best friends lives in England and every time she comes out to visit she ALWAYS goes to the wrong side of the car (I guess the flight kills her) and I die laughiing each and every time she does it :lol:

But yes you are right the difference in talent level may scare you.... hey our second half team may be in "game on" mode by Feb. too !!! :evil:

Btw Beasley and Reyna should be starting more games for your 'PUB' team that cant buy a point on the road.

but with the hockey, if you're used to seeing sparse crowds at your local hockey club's matches then you'll feel right at home watching the devils! If you do the Islanders game you just need to take a bus to Penn station and catch an LIRR, i believe.

If you are staying in NJ you really should have a car. There is not good transit to go anywhere and taking taxis everywhere can get expensive.

To get to the Islanders you need to get into Manhattan, go to Penn Station, take a train to Hemsptead and then take a bus to the arena.

http://www.nassaucoliseum.com/publictranspo.htm

There are buses to Devils games but they only leave from Manhattan.

You should talk to ThreeStars as she's from the UK too so you probably speak the same language. :P

Seriously though, that's awesome that your whole family are fans and coming over just for that.

As Petey said, taxis can definitely get expensive but I suppose you have the exchange rate working in your favor.

Hope you enjoy your stay and let us know how it goes. :)

You should talk to ThreeStars as she's from the UK too so you probably speak the same language. :P

Seriously though, that's awesome that your whole family are fans and coming over just for that.

As Petey said, taxis can definitely get expensive but I suppose you have the exchange rate working in your favor.

Hope you enjoy your stay and let us know how it goes. :)

Yeah...but I know nothing about NJ.......I avoid the place at all cost :)

It is great to hear people coming over just to see hockey though.....your kids must love you ;)

If only I'd known of the wonders of hockey when I lived in Reading....could've seen the Bison play :(

Yep....about the only think left in imperial measurements (that and the distances are in miles too).

Oh ans islandmonkey....about hiring a car....it may be worthwhile you geting the supplemental (?) insurance too.......(not sure if that is the correct name, maybe liability, maybe an american can advise better).....basically it gives you zero liability in the event of any kind of accident. I think it costs a few hundred bucks, but might be worthwhile....ya don't need to worry at all if summat happens to the car then.

That is assuming you don't already have insurance for driving in the US.

The exchange rate is looking good right now for you (grrr it always does this in the run up to christmas....why?.....why?)....so even with the extra insurance you'll get a good deal on a car.

And in case you where wondering, cars over here are huge.......even a tiny car here is about the same size and a normal car in the UK.

Thanks I'll check that out...

As for imperial measurements the only good thing about being my age is that its all I know! Can't manage kilometres etc...

I have survived a couple of driving vacations in North America, mainly Canada & a few in Florida but something tells me that NJ/NY is gonna be just a little bit different! :unsure:

Oh yeah... keep in mind too the food portions are ALOT bigger here too

just to avoid food culture shock!

Oh trust me that will NOT be a problem... I do like my food, and beer! Did I mention beer?

Its gone 8pm here & I think I hear some calling me! :evil:

I have survived a couple of driving vacations in North America, mainly Canada & a few in Florida but something tells me that NJ/NY is gonna be just a little bit different! :unsure:

Oh trust me that will NOT be a problem... I do like my food, and beer! Did I mention beer?

Its gone 8pm here & I think I hear some calling me! :evil:

the Area around the Swamp only rivals LA as one of the worst traffic pits I've ever seen!!!

You have been warned though!!

Bah... the beer here sucks... have real drinks B )

For bus, you may actually have to backtrack...

Take the bus from Mill Creek to Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC and then take the Bus to the CAA. Crazy right?

You may have to take a cab, which may end up costing you about 10 bucks each way. That's about 5 quid for you folks in the UK

Not so bad...

I'm sure the arena ushers can direct you to a taxi after the game. That shouldn't be a problem. Or, perhaps you befriend a few fans after the game, and they can give you a lift for the short 5-minute ride back to the hotel...

It you do consider hiring a car....check out the area on maps.google.com, I have found it incredibly useful for giving me advanced knowledge of the layout of junctions n stuff, and for figuring out what exits to take to get on/off highways. the hybrid and satellite views allow you to actually follow the lanes of the roads. The resolution over the meadowlands area is great too.

Looking at the area, the La Quinta is so excruciatingly close to the arena that you could walk there.....except there are only highway bridges crossing the river :rolleyes::doh1:

If you do score tickets to the Islanders game, it's really simple to get there from New Jersey.

Just go East through the Lincoln Tunnel, follow your way through Manhattan to the Midtown Tunnel, and then get on Rt. 495. Once you're on Rt. 495 (Long Island Expressway) You'll eventually see signs for Nassau Coliseum, difficult to miss.

Hope your trip goes well!