NHL Gamecenter

HellOnICE

Hey guys and gidgets.

I am wondering if it's worth cancelling my cable TV subscription in favor of NETFLIX, Hulu and a NHL game center subscription through my APPLETV.

Does anyone have experience with Gamecenter, how do you like it, is it worth it, are the streams high quality/how far behind the actual action is it?

I would like Gamecenter if they didn't blackout so many games.  National games I can understand.  But the games on NHL network get blacked out too.  Why?  NHL Network games use the regional feed usually of the home team.  I also don't understand why I can't get Flyer games.

Yeah you're not going to get the local games or big ticket ones on NBCSN which is kinda infuriating, but you can always stream them on various websites if you must watch.

Otherwise, it's a good service..very dependent on your internet speed though, obviously.  If you have a slow connection expect some issues with an HD stream - but you mentioned Netflix so I assume you're already aware of that situation.  It's occasionally 'unavailable' on my 360 - not sure if that's on my end of theirs but it's annoying.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it if you're not a resident of NJ..a little pricey if you buy it at the beginning of the season but there's not really a better option out there if you're streaming off Apple TV.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I would not be able to live without gamecenter. That being said, if I lived in market I probably wouldn't bother because the devils games would be blacked out anyway. I do watch other games on it often but really the primary reason I have it is to watch every devils game. So if you live in the NYC are don't bother because you wouldn't get the games anyway.

That being said in the 3 seasons I've had it I really don't have any complaints in terms of quality. I think opening night this season there was an issue where I missed the first period but outside of that I find it runs smoothly, a little lag from time to time but not really bothersome. I have it in ps3 though but I'm sure Apple TV is similar.

Edited by dmann422

This is the exact set up I have. Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, and NHL Gamecenter. Plus I have a digital antenna for live sports (On NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc.).

Only problem I have with Game Center are the blackouts which consist of any game that is nationally broadcast (this year there haven't been many of those for the Devils) and games that are played locally to where you are. I live in Orlando so every Lightening game is blacked out. I think Panthers games too but I forget right now. I just go to wiziwig and stream the games from my computer if that's the case.

Also the streams are a little behind so if you try to follow along on a message board or chat room you will read everything before it happens on your TV. 

Still I think it's very worth it. As soon as HBO becomes available to buy without a cable or satellite subscription there won't be any need for cable or satellite.

Personally i love it cause it gives me access to the games everywhere. If im at my buddies place i can still log in there on their PS3, Apple tv, computer or wtv and watch it, can watch on my ipad, iphone anywhere while im on the go too. You can re-watch games, rewind during games. Watch many games at the same time. Choose your feed/announcers. 

Sucks that there's no playoffs thought and blackouts sucks too when games are on tv and that im stuck at the office with no cable. then i need to find the game online somewhere.

basically it just gives you a lot more access to you games. Than through cable where you pretty much have to be home to get the games

Edited by SterioDesign

All playoff games are nationally televised.  So you shouldn't need GameCenter.  It sucks only if you don't have access to a TV.

Well that was what I was thinking to do with my cable contract almost up, was to only have internet service and stream anything I needed.

Watching playoff games I would have to drag myself to a bar or to all home games during, hehe *wink wink* (yea I still have hope dammit)

Well that was what I was thinking to do with my cable contract almost up, was to only have internet service and stream anything I needed.

Watching playoff games I would have to drag myself to a bar or to all home games during, hehe *wink wink* (yea I still have hope dammit)

For nationally televised games, you can find a stream on your laptop and then connect it to your TV via HDMI to watch the stream on a bigger screen.  Quality will obviously suffer though in most cases.  Man do I miss Microwavepizza's stream at times.

..I mean, I've heard this can work.  I've never streamed games illegally or anything along those lines.. :whistling:

I honestly have no idea.  I just know streaming NFL games will get you a hefty fee if caught, I would think NHL games fall under the same category.

I mean I can kind of understand why the games that are on NBC Sports are blacked out considering you'd have to be paying for cable to watch them but the games that are on regular free TV should be available on game center. Morally I have no problem streaming them considering I'm trying to pay to watch every game I can. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

hockeystreams.com

Although I think it's too late to register for this year.  It's cheaper than GameCenter, and the you can get HD streams.  And there's no blackouts.  It is illegal though, but chances are you should be fine.

Is it illegal to stream something that is free?

Yes.

Have it, love it.  Use it on Roku, iPad, Android tablet, laptop, PC, iPhone, Android phone, etc.  Picture quality is HD level, at least to my eyes.  Of course, this can change based on your internet connection.

Yes there is a small delay so if you have alerts on your phone, turn them off if you are watching.

I've only noticed that the NBCSN and NHLTV games are blacked out, but I am in Texas.

Most people who have "cut the cord" from cable or satellite are NOT sports fans.  It's great if you can cut the cord and save money, but probably 99% of sports telecasts are on pay TV channels.  If you're just a hockey fan, you can still watch through GameCenter, but good luck in the playoffs when the only over-the-air televised games are weekends on NBC and 2 or 3 SCF games.

I've sampled GameCenter, but the quality is nowhere near what you get through Center Ice on DirecTV.  Center Ice through Comcast is a complete joke, you're lucky if you get 2 HD games a night.  Plus they share channels with MLB Extra Innings.

I'll gladly stick to satellite and SlingBox, which lets me watch anything when I'm not home from my computer, tablet or phone (live TV, DVR, etc).

Most people who have "cut the cord" from cable or satellite are NOT sports fans.  It's great if you can cut the cord and save money, but probably 99% of sports telecasts are on pay TV channels.  If you're just a hockey fan, you can still watch through GameCenter, but good luck in the playoffs when the only over-the-air televised games are weekends on NBC and 2 or 3 SCF games.

I've sampled GameCenter, but the quality is nowhere near what you get through Center Ice on DirecTV.  Center Ice through Comcast is a complete joke, you're lucky if you get 2 HD games a night.  Plus they share channels with MLB Extra Innings.

I'll gladly stick to satellite and SlingBox, which lets me watch anything when I'm not home from my computer, tablet or phone (live TV, DVR, etc).

The quality through gamecenter is HD. I will have to figure out what I will do for the playoffs if the Devils make it.  Last year was my first year with out cable and I was fine with the feeds I found or watching games a day later (since the playoff games will be on gamecenter the next day.)  But I am not really a big sports fan outside of hockey.

I had it. This was two years ago though. Nonetheless, it was generally useful but also had a whole slew of glitches and issues that arose every so often. What was nice was that often times if I didn't get around to watching until late at night, I could see the game on rerun instantly (sometimes they had already archived it though - in which case you had to wait until 24 hours after the game to see it...don't know how it works now though). Then the playoffs came and I couldn't see any games because of blackout restrictions.

Taking these reasons into account along with the fact that sites like atdhe.tv are good enough, I cannot recommend buying Gamecenter, there is little to no point, unless you desperately need high quality (and the game was only HQ for me half the time on my pretty decent internet connection). Additionally, you get enough highlights and replay footage for free on NHL.com, so unless you really want to watch full replays of games, you should not buy it.

Also, you didn't note in the OP if you are in the local market or not. If you are, you won't be able to see any Devils, Rangers, or Islander games on Gamecenter anyways.

All playoff games are nationally televised.  So you shouldn't need GameCenter.  It sucks only if you don't have access to a TV.

Not entirely true for the early rounds.
Edited by Neb00rs

Yes it is.  Every single playoff game is on national television.

Not entirely true. NBCSN (and CNBC to an extent) while in a majority of households, is still not available to about 30% of the nation's households. 

And I am not sure about NHL network, but its probably the lowest of the four.

Edited by Neb00rs