MacLean has been fired. Confirmed on NJ.com

thefiestygoat

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time. I think you have to ask yourself why Lou isn't behind the bench. He's done it a couple times before. Why not now? Because he's done here?

If you believe his promise to Brodeur, he has one more year to go as long as Brodeur is here (perhaps another reason to consider moving Brodeur). But I heard from somebody that there is some legitimate disconnect between Lou and ownership and that it wouldnt be surprising to see Lou leave. Ownership isn't happy with how Lou has exploded the team's payroll and limited it's flexibility, and this goes back the past few years, not just this year.

The person speculated the only reason Lou may be sticking is to try and ensure his son, Chris maintains a high-level position in some capacity in the front office. For the record, I do not want either Chris Lamoriello or Conte as GM when Lou leaves. Devils should go outside the organization for a new GM. I hate to use this analogy, but Lou reminds me of George Young with the Giants. Eventually George Young for all his greatness in the 80s got to a point in the early-mid 90s where he just got old as a GM and lost the touch that made him great. The game and the business changed and he couldnt adapt and it seemed moves that typically bore the hallmark of success floundered again and again.

+1

He's also the Devils' all-time leading goal scorer and the guy who put the Devils into the playoffs for the first time in history.

Sadly, you might be right.

I don't care. You wear a Rangers uniform and you are nothing to me, ever. I predicted MacLean would fail, and he did.

Why would he come back at all for half a season?

Lou probably told Jacques he was right about last season and that it wasnt his fault and then waxed poetic about the old Canadiens teams over some Canadian Club on the rocks with a promise to trade Langenbrunner and a few others as soon as possible.

If you believe his promise to Brodeur, he has one more year to go as long as Brodeur is here (perhaps another reason to consider moving Brodeur). But I heard from somebody that there is some legitimate disconnect between Lou and ownership and that it wouldnt be surprising to see Lou leave. Ownership isn't happy with how Lou has exploded the team's payroll and limited it's flexibility, and this goes back the past few years, not just this year.

The person speculated the only reason Lou may be sticking is to try and ensure his son, Chris maintains a high-level position in some capacity in the front office. For the record, I do not want either Chris Lamoriello or Conte as GM when Lou leaves. Devils should go outside the organization for a new GM. I hate to use this analogy, but Lou reminds me of George Young with the Giants. Eventually George Young for all his greatness in the 80s got to a point in the early-mid 90s where he just got old as a GM and lost the touch that made him great. The game and the business changed and he couldnt adapt and it seemed moves that typically bore the hallmark of success floundered again and again.

Interesting. Good post.

Even though he may have "lost the touch" as a GM, I wonder if he'll want to continue being a GM. He doesn't seem like the retiring type.

probably because lou asked him to.

this is going to be a big stretch for the team. the GM doesn't need to be distracted by also being a coach.

+1.

There's a lot of off-ice analysis and evaluation that needs to be done and some work in making moves and reloading towards next year.

I'd really really love to be inside Jamie Langenbrunner's brain when he heard this news.

Interesting. Good post.

Even though he may have "lost the touch" as a GM, I wonder if he'll want to continue being a GM. He doesn't seem like the retiring type.

I wouldn't mind having Lou stay on as president and/or CEO, but it's time to let someone else handle the player decisions.

I don't care. You wear a Rangers uniform and you are nothing to me, ever. I predicted MacLean would fail, and he did.

I hate the Rangers as much as the next guy, but I dunno, it wasn't like he went directly from NJ to NY. Plus he was only there for two seasons. He's spent approximately 22 years with the Devils as either a player or coach.

I do like your Lou-George Young comparison however.

So, let's start a betting line on when Langenbrunner gets traded. I say no later than mid-January, if not by Jan. 6th.

Thats the first thing that came to my mind. Langs will be gone in the next 2 weeks.

Whatever. Mac is gone and Jacques is in. Hopefully he can turn this train wreck all around in time.

MacLean just wasnt a good coach. Not sure why some people can't wrap their heads around it.

No, he wasn't. But when do we start firing the players?!?! If even just Langenbrunner had been traded a week ago I would have been perfectly fine with ****canning Mac, but my god, how many coaches does this rotten core get to go through?! And if you were gonna fire Mac before half a season then he should have been fired after the Long Island debacle last month. Now it isn't going to do anything other than maybe start a futile run in the second half.

And bringing back Lemaire is laughable, typical Lou. So the same guy that the entire team tuned out the last couple months last year is gonna coach this same group now? Maybe it's a perverse way to punish the players but I don't see what Lemaire has to gain out of this. He won a division title in his last year, what does he need with coaching more than half a season in a hopeless cause?

I hope Lou's meeting with the players is going something like "the only reason I'm firing the coach is because I tried to get rid of you sacks of sh!t and nobody wanted you".

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did say something along those lines.

Just a random thought... I'm not the best when it comes to stats -- and someone/anyone please correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think the last time the Devils hit last overall in the NHL standings was in the shortened 1995 season. We all know how that one turned around. Not saying to expect it again but it's worth a little hope.