NFL Week 7.....

CRASHER

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crasher, when you comment on games, pretend you watched them. Beck played pretty well on a beat up and pretty crappy Panthers defense though. His receivers had some awful fumbles and Cam and the rest of the Panthers offense had great day against a pretty good defense. You score 33 points, you usually win in this league

As much as I may try I can't watch EVERY game, and this is the ones I admit I missed minus like 5 plays at the end, if John Beck is your answer in the NFL then the question is NOT "what QB do I want running my team to win a game?".....though he can't be worse then Charlie Whitehurst....the NFL Network even refused to show highlights of that monstrosity!!! :lol:

And as I also said before the ONLY game I was really into all weekend was the Miami-Teebow debacle...no other game really excited me, I never thought Ponder would pull off the comeback and if he DID I didn't doubt Green Bay would come back and slap them for a matching score.....this was the worst NFL Sunday of games I can ever remember watching....

As much as I may try I can't watch EVERY game, and this is the ones I admit I missed minus like 5 plays at the end, if John Beck is your answer in the NFL then the question is NOT "what QB do I want running my team to win a game?".....though he can't be worse then Charlie Whitehurst....the NFL Network even refused to show highlights of that monstrosity!!! :lol:

And as I also said before the ONLY game I was really into all weekend was the Miami-Teebow debacle...no other game really excited me, I never thought Ponder would pull off the comeback and if he DID I didn't doubt Green Bay would come back and slap them for a matching score.....this was the worst NFL Sunday of games I can ever remember watching....

Of course I get that, but Beck was actually a lot better than 95% of the career clipboard QBs you forget are in the league...(Chris Redman anyone?). He was ready to play and wasn't the reason they lost though. Redskins are in trouble now with Hightower and Moss both gone for a long time (guessing Hightower's year is done).

Edited by devilsrule33

Of course I get that, but Beck was actually a lot better than 95% of the career clipboard QBs you forget are in the league...(Chris Redman anyone?). He was ready to play and wasn't the reason they lost though. Redskins are in trouble now with Hightower and Moss both gone for a long time (guessing Hightower's year is done).

hard to forget that when I got to see Kyle Boller implode on the Chiefs and force Carson Palmer to put down the Madden game he was playing to learn the Raider playbook and have to go out and leaen the system the HARD way on Sunday...it's frightening now the drop off from elite to solid to putrid behind the center on some teams this year.....as much as guys like Cassel or Jason Campbell underwhelm you, they look like Joe Montana next to someone like Teebow....egads!

I like some of the 'Skins options at RB with Helu and Torain and as long as Beck doesn't turnover the ball at an obscene rate, he'll at least be an upgrade over Grossman. :lol: They are built on defense and will have to win with that way though (which makes Cam's most recent game even more impressive). But I don't know if they are any better than the 3rd best team in that division. I tend to think, when it's all said and done, at least 2 of the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles will finish ahead of them, if not all 3.

As far as watching games go, I tend to agree you really need to see it. Unfortunately, I don't have any special TV packages, so I'm pretty much stuck to watching whatever is on my local TV (which means both Jets/Giants, generally another game, and the SNF/MNF games). I mean, I'd probably go nuts with all of those games anyway; whenever I try to watch college football I find myself getting lost in the shuffle of channels since there is so many damn games on. :lol: Anyway... I'm a big numbers guy with baseball, but with football, while I still like citing some stats, it is a game that requires watching to get a more informed opinion. For instance, and maybe it's just me, but I thought Ponder was a lot better than his passer rating will give him credit for this week. And last week, Matt Moore, against the Jets, really wasn't as horrible as his rating was either. And Philip Rivers -- CR said it; he'll post pretty numbers but when you physically watch him play, it's hard to consider him among the game's elite.

Love Ponder. He, like Cam in week 1, showed that the Packers defense is overrated. They need to get that fixed. They aren't getting much pressure to the QB. Ponder made some ridiculous plays on 3rd and longs. He has great wheels and loves throwing on the run. He probably should have been starting from day 1 for the Vikings.

Packers offense took their foot off the gas, and Rodgers missed out on some plays he usually doesn't, and there the Vikings are with a chance to win the game. I know it is a rookie QB in the very first game, but I still wouldn't have punted on the 4th and 10 with a little over two minutes left. Don't expect a 3-and-out out of Rodgers.

Edited by devilsrule33

Jags appear as if they are playing some really good defense -- great coverage on receivers and defensive lineman Jeremy Mincey has been disruptive -- but I can't believe how awful the Ravens look on offense right now; Flacco can't complete a pass and Rice can't hold onto the football.... it's less than 5 minutes away from the end of the half and the Ravens STILL don't have a 1st down. I guess they are trying to 1-up the Jets' ineptitude from the 1st half of last week. :P

And really, these Flacco struggles aren't just from tonight; he's completing only about 51% of his passes, which ranks near the bottom of the league. ESPN also showed a graphic that his accuracy has been poor with pretty much with ALL of his passes (near the line of scrimmage, 1-10 yards, 11-20 yards, 20+, etc.), so it's not like he's just struggling with throwing the ball medium or deep or whatnot ..

Despite the shaky ball control, I'd be inclined to just pound it with Rice, who only has 3 carries. Clearly the passing game isn't working at all.

Edit: Haha, now Jones-Drew is fumbling balls left and right. This game really has turned bizarre. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore

Wtf? All due respect to the Jags D, who are playing an outstanding game. Cam Cameron has to adjust, his play calling is making the Jags D almost Raven like. Flacco looks like Matt Moore right now. 4th and 43: unacceptable.

The Ravens' O-line is getting eaten alive and Flacco is running for his life. Nobody has faith in Rice right now because of his fumbleitus. Not a good combination for any offensive team.

So when do the Ravens decide that Joe Flacco isn't the answer at QB. I know it is unfair to blame this all on him, but he definitely isn't the answer at QB that they he would be.

If I were a Ravens fan, I would definitely not want to give up on him yet. Besides the postseason, he HAS been a pretty good QB. This season has just been really weird; the accuracy is just not there at all. I don't think you could just give up on him based on 6 games (when nearly 50 other games say he's pretty good), but the more he struggles, the more of an issue it's going to be....

Edited by nmigliore

Yesterday was the first time since the merger in 1970 that a team had a 15 point lead with under 3:00 to play and lost. The Dolphins don't just lose- they lose historically. And I witnessed it in person. Suck for Luck baby.

it was a beautiful collapse. The Dolphins ability to tank is in great form

So when do the Ravens decide that Joe Flacco isn't the answer at QB. I know it is unfair to blame this all on him, but he definitely isn't the answer at QB that they he would be.

He's definitely regressed but do they even HAVE anyone behind him worthy of being on an NFL roster? This game is why QB's sitting on their couch are somehow worth two first-round picks :lol:

If I were a Ravens fan, I would definitely not want to give up on him yet. Besides the postseason, he HAS been a pretty good QB. This season has just been really weird; the accuracy is just not there at all. I don't think you could just give up on him based on 6 games (when nearly 50 other games say he's pretty good), but the more he struggles, the more of an issue it's going to be....

Well don't give up on him when there isn't much out there, but no way do the Ravens win anything with him at the helm. This is a quarterback driven league, especially since there are no elite defenses in the league right now. Ravens defense is getting older and older. Window of opportunity is closing, and he isn't the guy they probably hoped he become. I have no doubt all the top teams in this league can move the ball pretty well on this defense. They need the offense to match.

I've been pumping up Baltimore in recent weeks, but I don't know if I value them as highly anymore after watching that game. Yeah, Ray Rice, despite a down game, is still really good and their defense is still scary... but the passing game is clearly an issue. I don't think all is lost with Flacco just yet, but his poor play has to be getting more disturbing and concerning to the Ravens the deeper it goes into the season. I think they're a playoff team, but I don't know if they'll make much noise with their current problems in the passing game, especially if they face a team that can stuff the run.

Well don't give up on him when there isn't much out there, but no way do the Ravens win anything with him at the helm. This is a quarterback driven league, especially since there are no elite defenses in the league right now. Ravens defense is getting older and older. Window of opportunity is closing, and he isn't the guy they probably hoped he become. I have no doubt all the top teams in this league can move the ball pretty well on this defense. They need the offense to match.

I tend to think if Flacco plays the way he did last season, they could win. Their defense and run game is good enough to get by with a good-not-great QB. But the 2011 Flacco? No chance.

Something that does play up to your point though, is that even the "good" Flacco is (arguably) prone to stinking it up against good (playoff) teams; just look at his playoff performances sans the beatdown of the Chiefs last year. In fact, if you take that game out, his completion rate in playoff games drops below 50%, his yards per attempt falls to 5.2, and his TD/INT is 2/7.

Edited by nmigliore

I've been pumping up Baltimore in recent weeks, but I don't know if I value them as highly anymore after watching that game. Yeah, Ray Rice, despite a down game, is still really good and their defense is still scary... but the passing game is clearly an issue. I don't think all is lost with Flacco just yet, but his poor play has to be getting more disturbing and concerning to the Ravens the deeper it goes into the season. I think they're a playoff team, but I don't know if they'll make much noise with their current problems in the passing game, especially if they face a team that can stuff the run.

And you second-guessed me ranking the Patriots higher :lol:

Awful game.

We looked upprepared. The Jags were up for the game, we were not. They took it as a challenge to out Raven the Ravens on a rare Prime Time football game. Kudos to them, their D played a great game.

There is no doubt that in the next season or so we win the Championship with Flacco at the helm.

mdsieve made the most astute analysis from last night: that the O-line just collapsed.

This is a brand new offensive line who did not play together until week #1, so this is just growing pains. And a reminder that besides a lineman's history of success on the football field, you still need to do your homework and prepare for each specific opposition. Our O-line did not do their homework and Flacco and Rice suffered as a result.

Edited by MantaRay

Flacco is clearly not having a great year, but if I'm Baltimore I can't give up on him just yet...he's been pretty accurate before this season, is coming off his best year, and is only 26 years old. He's clearly not in the upper class of QBs, but there's a whole lot worse out there.

Manta, if Baltimore is to win a championship, I don't think Flacco will have that much to do with it...it will be on strength of their D. But Flacco did need to find a way last night to get it done against the Jags...Baltimore's D held up its end.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Manta, if Baltimore is to win a championship, I don't think Flacco will have that much to do with it...it will be on strength of their D. But Flacco did need to find a way last night to get it done against the Jags...Baltimore's D held up its end.

I respectfully disagree, Flacco will have much to do with it.

Flacco not being the better QB in the playoffs has been the deciding factor the past three years. Our Defense can get us to the playoffs, but Flacco has to be the guy to win the last two big playoff games.

He has shown the potential to be "the guy", he needs to do it in the AFC Championship Game and the SB this year.

I believe in him (more so than Trent Dilfer).

I respectfully disagree, Flacco will have much to do with it.

Flacco not being the better QB in the playoffs has been the deciding factor the past three years. Our Defense can get us to the playoffs, but Flacco has to be the guy to win the last two big playoff games.

He has shown the potential to be "the guy", he needs to do it in the AFC Championship Game and the SB this year.

I believe in him (more so than Trent Dilfer).

I think you may be assuming a lot here, but looking at your schedule, even if Flacco is merely decent over the last 10 games, you should be able to win at least 6 of them (probably more). That'll get you to 10+ wins, and likely the playoffs.

What does believing in him more so than Trent Dilfer matter? The 2000 Ravens defense was historically good, and this one isn't close to that. The 2000 defense shut out 4 teams during the season and gave up one touchdown in 4 playoff games.

That team had a great RB duo with Lewis leading the charge. And while Dilfer wasn't that good that season, he wasn't that bad of a QB by any means. The actual fact is you need to believe in Flacco to do a lot more than Dilfer ever had to do for the Ravens to go where you want them to go.

Edited by devilsrule33

The Ravens really need Flacco to step up in the playoffs; he's been absolutely atrocious in 6 of his 7 career playoff games. You don't get by with that kind of sloppy QB play, good running game and defense or not, and that has reflected in what they've done in the playoffs the last 3 years (zilch).

And when I say "step up" for Flacco, I don't mean he needs to be a top-level QB like a Rodgers, Brees, Manning, etc. I mean to just be the regular season Flacco of 2009 and 2010 -- the good-but-not-great QB -- and I think that would be good enough for them to have a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

But there's no question his brutal play in the postseason has held them back the last 3 years; maybe it's just bad luck, or poor preparation, or just really good teams shutting down a QB that isn't as good as his regular season numbers would say he is, or a combination of everything... but they definitely are going to need him to succeed. The level of performance he's shown in the playoffs and so far during this season won't work.

And yeah, trusting him more than Dilfer isn't really saying much. The current, ugly 2011 Flacco may be nearly as good as Dilfer was in 2000. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore