Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

I agree with this, but to add to it, imagine if Lou had panicked and threw money at Clarkson in February? It goes both ways. You risk losing a player, but you also get a last chance to gauge their worth.

if you're not tight against the cap that year plus the cap will go higher and higher.. sometimes you have to overpay... whats the good of having 13m in cap space this season compared to not having Zach let's say ? (not saying that as if i'd want his terrible contract) but it's still a fact that it's one thing not to overpay but you have to be sure you can compensate for what you're not gonna get anymore, sometimes its worth overpaying.

edit: plus Clarkson may be on a cold streak right now but honestly how many goals did you expect him to score in 48 games? pretty fair to say that he already filled his quota in everyone expectations. He overachieved at first and is underachieving now but when you look at his stats for the season, he's right where he should be and almost he's the only reason we had a 8-0-2 start too

Edited by SterioDesign

if you're not tight against the cap that year plus the cap will go higher and higher.. sometimes you have to overpay... whats the good of having 13m in cap space this season compared to not having Zach let's say ? (not saying that as if i'd want his terrible contract) but it's still a fact that it's one thing not to overpay but you have to be sure you can compensate for what you're not gonna get anymore, sometimes its worth overpaying.

Mostly agree with this.  At least during the season you are only bidding against yourself.

Cause we still havent been able to replace the "production" that we lost from last season and we're in the bottom of the league in scoring. So we already have to correct that through free agency this summer...

Now if Elias or Clarkson or Zub (or 2 or all of them) walks this summer and that we get nothing... thats even more production that you have to replace (plus things like guys able to handle a certain ice time, special teams and everything that we'd be losing.)

now look at the free agents pool... who could fill for those losses and that we wouldnt have to overpay? And who knows if that/those guys would even want to play here. We could try to sign every one of them and none would come. Now then we'd be in HUGE troubles. Plus we'd have to give up our 1st round pick that year... 

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

Cause we still havent been able to replace the "production" that we lost from last season and we're in the bottom of the league in scoring. So we already have to correct that through free agency this summer...

Now if Elias or Clarkson or Zub (or 2 or all of them) walks this summer and that we get nothing... thats even more production that you have to replace (plus things like guys able to handle a certain ice time, special teams and everything that we'd be losing.)

now look at the free agents pool... who could fill for those losses and that we wouldnt have to overpay? And who knows if that/those guys would even want to play here. We could try to sign every one of them and none would come. Now then we'd be in HUGE troubles. Plus we'd have to give up our 1st round pick that year...

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

The cap is going down. There will be less teams able to overpay for these players and there will be teams looking to unload players, whether by trade or buyouts. The Devils shouldn't have much problem signing Zubrus and Elias. Clarkson may be massively overpayed by someone.

Also for all the dislike of some of Lou's more frustrating strategies, and even though I wish he'd lighten up on some things, I'd rather have him then not. He's even keeled. Very few knee-jerk reactions. Calculated risks. The "good" news is he'll be gone in a couple of years. Oh how fun this board will be if his replacement misses the playoffs a couple of years in a row!

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Well, Elias has certainly surprised me these past 2 seasons.  I did not expect him to perform so well.   While he won't reach 500 goals, it would be nice to have the first Devil reach 1000 career points, all coming as a Devil.

I agree with many here, nothing more than a 2 year deal.  Which probably means Lou will sign him for at least 3 !!

I don't see any chance that Elias will sign elsewhere.  He bleeds "Devil blood".

Elias like Marty will end as a Devil. Money won't matter much they've spent their careers here instead of leaving for money. I have no problem believe so again. I could care less if Lou maybe gave him four mill?or more?because he is the true leader on this team

Elias like Marty will end as a Devil. Money won't matter much they've spent their careers here instead of leaving for money. I have no problem believe so again. I could care less if Lou maybe gave him four mill?or more?because he is the true leader on this team

I'll admit I was wrong about Patty's ability to produce the last couple of years.  That said, his age is an issue.  It is weird that Patty brings this up.  He's been with this organization for how long?  Does Lou cave in to player demands especially griping in the press?  Patty should know better.  We'll see what happens after the season.  If he signs elsewhere for a rich contract, good luck to him and I'll root for him as long as he isn't playing in MSG or Philadelphia.  I'll trust Lou.

Trip to the Finals, beating NYR and Philly in the playoffs...record crowds and interest in the Devils is at an all time high. It's not all Kovalchuk...but he has a lot to do with it. 

Actually, this had more to do with a good team and goaltending than Kovy.  Carter, Clarkson and Zach played far more pivotal roles, especially when it counted in the playoffs.   Salvador was a shut-down defensemen and filled a big void at the blueline when it counted.

Slightly off-topic, Chere finds time in the middle of scratching for a playoff spot to add more negativity for the team and for the fans - yeah thanks a lot, why don't you cover your stupid Rangers. TG would never be such an ass.

Elias is going to get similar offer as Marty got last year

As usual, it's kill the messenger around here. Elias could have taken a pass but didn't. Maybe he's annoyed he didn't get the Marty/Stevens treatment since they were Lou's exceptions to the in season rule. Can't say I'd blame him, I think he earned that right.

As usual, it's kill the messenger around here. Elias could have taken a pass but didn't. Maybe he's annoyed he didn't get the Marty/Stevens treatment since they were Lou's exceptions to the in season rule. Can't say I'd blame him, I think he earned that right.

Agree 100%.  Elias will retire as the best forward in Devils history.  He has earned it and is still our best all-around forward.

Actually, this had more to do with a good team and goaltending than Kovy.  Carter, Clarkson and Zach played far more pivotal roles, especially when it counted in the playoffs.   Salvador was a shut-down defensemen and filled a big void at the blueline when it counted.

Kovy was involved in just about every big play in the playoffs last season.  Of course it was a team effort, but it's hard to argue any offensive player had a bigger overall impact.  

Yeah kovy was the league leader in playoff points until the last game of the playoffs and he played with a severe back injury. He factored into nearly every big goal except for henriqes Florida winner. If he was healthy there is no doubt in my mind that we win the cup. He was our most important forward in the playoffs for sure.

EDIT: and when I say he factored in on every big goal I don't mean he was on the ice, I mean he got the primary assist or secondary assist. In most cases it was the primary

Edited by njd3b1ink

Up until 2009 MacLean was often regarded as the best forward in Devil's history and look at the kind of treatment he got.

Was he ever really treated that badly?  The Devils wanted him to play more of a checking role in '97-'98; he balked at it and asked for a trade.  The Devils obliged.  Then he was back with the organization in a coaching capacity from 2002 on, and we all know how it went as the Devils' head coach in 2010...Lou tried to give him every chance to get it going, but clearly had to do something.  I just don't see how MacLean was somehow mistreated here.

Was he ever really treated that badly?  The Devils wanted him to play more of a checking role in '97-'98; he balked at it and asked for a trade.  The Devils obliged.  Then he was back with the organization in a coaching capacity from 2002 on, and we all know how it went as the Devils' head coach in 2010...Lou tried to give him every chance to get it going, but clearly had to do something.  I just don't see how MacLean was somehow mistreated here.

I was more talking along the lines of when contract time is coming up.  Stevens and Brodeur get passes yet MacLean never did in his entire time here.

Really? Zach??? Zach played a far more pivotal role in the playoffs than Kovalchuk?

I was more talking along the lines of when contract time is coming up.  Stevens and Brodeur get passes yet MacLean never did in his entire time here.

Different era, and unfortunately Mac was never the same after his ACL injury.  He did have those three years of 42, 41, and 45 goals, but that came in the Live Puck Era, where 40+ goals wasn't as big of a deal.  Mac was important in his own way, in that he was truly the symbol of the team he was playing for, for most of his Devil career...just like his Devils, MacLean was fighting for every inch and every last bit of respect he could get.  I think he was one of the most important players in helping the organization make the transition from afterthought to contender, but I can't put him on Stevens' and Brodeur's level.  Stevens and Brodeur are Hall Of Famers, all-time greats who were among the best at their positions.  MacLean was a good player who put up some nice numbers in an era full of nice numbers.  Not minimizing his importance, and he's still my favorite all-time Devil, but I don't think he was ever worthy of Stevens/Brodeur treatment.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Up until 2009 MacLean was often regarded as the best forward in Devil's history and look at the kind of treatment he got.

This will always kill me. I love MacLean, he was my favorite Devil growing up. Watching him go down in flames crushed me more than the team's miserable record and play. I don't think I'll ever get over it. It's not quite on the level of some of our worst games that I will never forget, but it's up there on my top 5 list of my most painful moments of being a Devils fan.

This will always kill me. I love MacLean, he was my favorite Devil growing up. Watching him go down in flames crushed me more than the team's miserable record and play. I don't think I'll ever get over it. It's not quite on the level of some of our worst games that I will never forget, but it's up there on my top 5 list of my most painful moments of being a Devils fan.

Watching Mac fail as a head coach was hard for me too.  I think if Mac had been almost anyone else, Lou would've fired him 5-10 games earlier than he did.  Like everyone else, I think Lou REALLY wanted it to work for Johnny Mac.   

I know Lou does what Lou does.  I've accepted that a long time ago and he does come off very often as stubborn and cold.

While there are plenty of free agents that Lou could have thrown tons of money left and would have made no difference, I wonder how many players he could have kept just by maybe opening at least some dialogue before that short period between the end of the season and free agency start.

This is not the first time a current or former player has said they feel a tiny bit disrespected and hurt by this tactic.

Exactly.  I am sick of his side show, good riddance old man.....

Time for new blood to take the reigns.....

based on the eye test, I'd sign patty for three years, even if its fourth line duty the last year (if his ego would let it)

he looks plenty fast enough, can still skate like a magician, and is one of the top players on the team.

but it comes down to how much money he wants,

I'd do the same with zubrus, maybe push him to 4 years if the money is right

dont know what to make of clarkson lol

Patrik's posturing, and who can blame him. I wouldn't look too far into his words, he's probably coming back for a year or two at a fair rate...

I'd be seriously baffled to see him go elsewhere. My guess is he signs for 2 more years for somewhere around $4-5M. Jagr got $4.55M from Dallas. That's on one year, so I think we can probably sign Elias to a similar number.

Edge - I agree, the fact that Elias is still one of, if not the best/most efficient skater on the team should be a great indicator of how his play will be next year and the year after. When guys get older, it's not like they forget how to score or can't anymore, they get slower and they become easier to stop. If Elias can still play at a fast pace, he'll put up points.

Edited by ATLL765