Bad officiating: Not just for the NHL

David Puddy

The Toronto Marlies went down 3-0 tonight. They lost in OT on a fluke bounce off a glass stanchion. The problem was that when the puck was shot in, the Admirals were offside, creating a delayed offside situation.

AHL Rule 83.4 (very similar to NHL rules):

83.4 Disallowed Goal – If the puck is shot on goal during a delayed off-side, the play shall be allowed to continue under the normal clearing-the-zone rules. Should the puck, as a result of this shot, enter the defending team’s goal during a delayed off-side, either directly or off the goalkeeper, a player or an official on the ice, the goal shall be disallowed as the original shot was off-side. The fact that the attacking team may have cleared the zone prior to the puck entering the goal has no bearing on this ruling. The face-off will be conducted at the face-off spot in the zone closest to the point of origin of the shot or at the nearest face-off spot in the neutral zone adjacent to the attacking zone of the offending team.

The only way an attacking team can score a goal on a delayed off-side situation is if the defending team shoots or puts the puck into their own net without action or contact by the offending team.

Edited by David Puddy

That's a hard one to swallow, but it's also a tough one. The lineman needed to be at center ice to ensure it wasn't icing... but the dump in was also offsides by a good second or so. It would have been a lot worse if the offsides player was involved in the goal scoring. He is still offsides and the goal should not have counted but that's with the benefits of birdseye view and replays - that referees don't get to use largely.

Yeah, sorry that was pretty obviously an offside. You can see an Admiral skating out as the puck gets down to the half boards. Completely blown non-call by the linesman. Reminds me of Game 5 in the 2000 Finals. 3rd OT and it bounces off the boards in a weird way about in the same spot on what could have ended up an icing and just goes past Marty. I was there that game, sucked! At least then it wasn't a matter of offside, just a freak bounce

Reminds me of Game 5 in the 2000 Finals. 3rd OT and it bounces off the boards in a weird way about in the same spot on what could have ended up an icing and just goes past Marty. I was there that game, sucked! At least then it wasn't a matter of offside, just a freak bounce

Wasn't the game-winner in that game the long shot from the point that Modano tipped in the low slot?

The Toronto Marlies went down 3-0 tonight. They lost in OT on a fluke bounce off a glass stanchion. The problem was that when the puck was shot in, the Admirals were offside, creating a delayed offside situation.

Bad officiating aside, that is just brutal to lose an OT game on a bounce like that.

That's a hard one to swallow, but it's also a tough one. The lineman needed to be at center ice to ensure it wasn't icing... but the dump in was also offsides by a good second or so. It would have been a lot worse if the offsides player was involved in the goal scoring. He is still offsides and the goal should not have counted but that's with the benefits of birdseye view and replays - that referees don't get to use largely.

While one linesman is ensuring it wasn't icing, the other one I believe should be at the blue line ensuring it isn't offsides.

That's brutal..a shame the announcers didn't pick up on it

They're Leafs/Marlies announcers; I'm surprised they don't automatically assume that every goal against is a league-wide anti-Toronto conspiracy. :giggle:

The AHL has released a statement regarding the play. The Cliffs Notes version: "Yeah, we screwed up, sorry, but there's nothing we can do about it." Or, if you're a Devils fan: "Despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored."

I go to college games and amateur games from time to time. It's almost scary ho bad the officiating is. Just think: The NHL is the best of all of them. That's why I say thank God for football. Otherwise we'd be the worst officiating sport. Unless you want to count the WWWNBA.

Well, if you think about it, the AHL is a developmental league for not just the players, but for the refs and coaches too.

At any rate, it probably wouldn't have mattered if they did get the call right. Norfolk absolutely steamrolled the rest of the league over the past four months; they won 28 straight games (February 10-April 15) to close out the season and lost all of three games in the entire playoffs. They won Game 4 Saturday afternoon to close out the sweep and clinch the Calder Cup.

I go to college games and amateur games from time to time. It's almost scary ho bad the officiating is. Just think: The NHL is the best of all of them. That's why I say thank God for football. Otherwise we'd be the worst officiating sport. Unless you want to count the WWWNBA.

Just shows how difficult it is to officiate the sport, especially at high levels.