Brodeur Appreciation Thread

redruM

1st I'm shocked no one else has started this.. I refuse to use a game thread for this, Marty is the Devils and probably deserves a forum to himself, nevermind a thread.

I have been 1 of his biggest critics this year, and my son slapped me down last night remiding me that the Devils will probably never have another player like him.

He was upset because he basically remembers 03 on, was too young to remember 95 & 00, so he was pretty upset last night that the Marty era is probably over...

So many crazy memories of him, from all the ridiculous glove saves, to the goal in the playoffs against Montreal, the frustration of Gigguere winning MVP in 03, the frustrating loss to ROy & the Avs in 01, the 100's of games where it seemed like MArty won on his own.

Watching some of the older videos prior to the stupid trapizoid, I have forgotten how active he was behind the net and how great of the stick handler he really was, we just donot get to see that as much due to the stupid stupid rule!!

I'm really upset he did not get a proper send off last night, I know that is partly his fault as he refuses to retire, but LL could have planned something, the Selanne thing was awesome! Marty deserved that at a minimum.

He is the greatest of all time, and it has been an honor and a privledge to root for him these past 20 years...

Edited by redruM

Marty Brodeur has been equivalent with the Devils name for more than 2/3 the time they've been in the state. He has been crucial in bringing glory to a state that had never really had any before. Through all his faults, I would never trade the last 20 years with him in red and black for any other option. He is New Jersey's first and thusfar only, fully Devil Hall of Famer, regardless of if he plays the last of his games elsewhere. In many ways, his advent is probably a major reason why we still have a hockey team in this state. Without his stellar play in both regular season and playoffs of 1993-1995 I truly believe the Predators arrive several years before schedule. In short, we owe just about everything that we have as Devils fans to Marty Brodeur in one form or another.

..he's one of the greatest goalies of all-time, and a franchise legend.. however, people are upset at his rather selfish behavior and how he conducted himself since January. As a result, feelings are still raw.. judgment is being reserved by many, until we witness what his next move is going to be. If he retires, the fanfare will grow back to what it was. If he signs with Philly.. you ain't seen nothing yet, in regards to the venom the fans have spewed.

..for the sake of the thread, I will say: Thanks for the Memories Marty!

MB30_zps07391545.png

The odds of the Devils, with their defense-first system and general lack of scoring, winning three Stanley Cups without #30 in goal would have been roughly zero. When he was in his prime he carried the team on his back. He made being a Devils fan acceptable, those of us that were around pre-Brodeur know that all of the Rangers and Islanders fans thought we were a joke. Once Brodeur took over, they stopped laughing. Well, maybe they were still laughing in the 1994 playoffs but still. 

He's a legend, and he will probably always be the greatest player to ever wear a Devils jersey. I am hoping he will end up having worn it for his entire career, but we will see what happens. 

In any event, we all owe him our thanks for 22 years (give or take) of the hockey that we have come to know as Devils hockey.

I have to admit I got a little choked up after the game yesterday. The guy will always be one of my all time favorite athletes. Things got a little ugly this year and to save everyone from more ugliness I hope he decides to retire. I don't want to see himm in another jersey but I don't think it's a good idea that he returns even in a backup role. Take a few years off Marty and come back to a nice front office job (not gm).

I don't want to see himm in another jersey but I don't think it's a good idea that he returns even in a backup role. Take a few years off Marty and come back to a nice front office job (not gm).

This is exactly how I feel. I think my order of preference would be:

1) Retires a Devil, we retire his number next year, all is good. 

2) Plays backup for us next year in a very limited, no more than 15-20 games, capacity. And keeps his comments to himself so as not to create controversy or issues.

3) He goes to Montreal for one season, just for the nostalgia of it and to play in front of his hometown.

4) He gets a spot on another team, plays out the year, and realizes how dumb it was and then comes back to the Devils in some capacity (off the ice)

Of those choices, I would say only 1 and 4 are at all realistic. 

What I could write in terms of the appreciation I have for Marty and what he did and the player he was for this franchise could fill a book... Thank you Marty. Thank you for everything. The Devils could never accomplish all they have in the last 20 years without your immeasurable contributions. I am eternally grateful for having been able to watch you play and set every goaltending record under the sun for my team in my home state. All the best in whatever you decide to do next. Cheers to an amazing Devils career. See you at Martin Brodeur night at the Rock.

Got super choked up at the game yesterday. This guy's BEEN the Devils since I was 7. I'm 27 now, I've grown up with him. This kind of longevity and loyalty to a team simply doesn't exist anymore and very few fans of any sport around the world these days will ever be able to know what this feels like (other than current Yankees/Jeter fans). Even in the age of super extended contracts and no trade clauses, that loyalty and longevity are rare.

The moments and memories Marty has played a huge hand in giving me throughout my life are up there with my own personal memories like graduations and birthdays. He has played an integral role in giving me some of the greatest and most ecstatic moments of my life.

Thank you Marty.

Edited by DJ Eco

I appreciate Marty for especially staying in New Jersey and taking less money to play here when he could've gotten more on the open market. He watched other goalies get more $ and only wanted to keep winning in NJ. I won't let the 'end' sour everything else.  And yesterday's ending & tribute made me even more proud. And of course, will always appreciate his great skill & loyalty.  Just reading his book, he hates the rangers as much as us Devils fans do. Thanks Marty, my family and I Salute you!!!

• Like 1

Marty is the man. While this season in particular was trying, as CR as said before, no goalie has ever had a peak so successful for so long. Marty is the Devils. I sincerely hope he hangs them up. In addition to never wanting him to wear another sweater, I don't want to remember him playing anything less than his best. That's one of the biggest reasons I was so hard on him this year.

I teared up after the game a bit.  Yeah, I did.  I don't give a sh!t.  I did, so what.  As much as I'm ok with having Schneids for the remainder of his time here, but Marty is the Devils.  He's the only one I know to be in nets from when I went to my first game when I was 5 years old.  I was devastated that me and my dad, who brought me to my first game and Marty was in net, were unable to go to the game yesterday, that could be his last game in a Devils uni.  

This is exactly how I feel. I think my order of preference would be:

1) Retires a Devil, we retire his number next year, all is good. 

2) Plays backup for us next year in a very limited, no more than 15-20 games, capacity. And keeps his comments to himself so as not to create controversy or issues.

3) He goes to Montreal for one season, just for the nostalgia of it and to play in front of his hometown.

4) He gets a spot on another team, plays out the year, and realizes how dumb it was and then comes back to the Devils in some capacity (off the ice)

Of those choices, I would say only 1 and 4 are at all realistic. 

If Cory is signed, I'd go with 1 and 2. 

Marty basically was the goalie in NJ my entire time I was a fan.  I have so many great memories and he brought me a lot of joy due to his work in NJ.  His stick work was always under-appreciated and he really made those championship Devils teams special with it.  He was the foundation upon which those teams worked: gain the puck and transition to offense.  It was magical, reaching it's apex with the 6 shots against victory against the Maple Leafs in the playoffs (the most dominant performance I've ever seen a team give in the post season).

He's a special player and NJ was smart to build around his talents for years.  It's the end of an era and I appreciate how lucky I was to watch it.

1st I'm shocked no one else has started this.. 

First off, good thread.

I have actually started a bunch of player appreciation threads over the past few years but I wasn't ready for this one, not at least until I see Marty sign somewhere else or retire. Or I don't know, maybe I felt like Marty is above an 'appreciation' thread that we usually reserve for unheralded service to the team - like for Colin White or Brian Rafalski. Either ways, it didn't occur to me to make the topic.

First time I ever saw Brodeur play live was in 1999 when I was 9 years old. My Dad took me to see them play the Sabres and all I wanted was to hear that goal horn go off, sadly they lost 3-0 but I will always remember Brodeur making this sick cartwheel save on a 3 on 1, it was the shining moment of the first Devils game I ever been too. I still have the ticket from that game, great memory for me.

I teared up after the game a bit.  Yeah, I did.  I don't give a sh!t.  I did, so what.

Same, no shame in that. My buddy behind me kept rambling on about whatever he was talking about before not-hockey related during the Marty sendoff at the end of the game, I had to turn around and tell him the shut the hell up. It's what separates the real fans from the fake ones; Marty possibly leaving the game is a BIG deal, absolutely tear-worthy.

Edited by DJ Eco

Damn...just watched a Brodeur tribute on YouTube and I've come to the conclusion that I'd be decimated if he wears another jersey. However, he has certainly earned the right to do as he pleases.

He did so much here that I can't get that upset about what will amount to a cup of coffee with someone else.  I got to see his entire prime from beginning to end...I'll never get that cheated or unfinished business feeling with him.

It's interesting...seems destined that the top two guys "most wins for one team" (even if they eventually play with more than one) will be Marty (688) and eventually Lundqvist (309 and counting).  Tony Esposito, currently second on the one-team list, won 418 games with the Blackhawks (423 total).   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976