We will likely have to trade Zajac eventually

Daniel

Or maybe he'll leave to get away from this stalker-esque fandbase. tongue.gif

I feel you are severely underestimating Zajac's worth. He is one of the best players in the league.

Zajac is going to be a UFA. That's what makes him worth less. You can sign him and give up nothing next summer. When you trade pending UFA's, you don't usually get 'fair' value in return. Trust me, I know how good Travis Zajac is. Why do you think I've been telling anyone who'll listen to me to lock him up yesterday? This is all hypothetical.

Zajac is going to be a UFA. That's what makes him worth less. You can sign him and give up nothing next summer. When you trade pending UFA's, you don't usually get 'fair' value in return. Trust me, I know how good Travis Zajac is. Why do you think I've been telling anyone who'll listen to me to lock him up yesterday? This is all hypothetical.

I understand that but teams still draw ridiculous value for players in the last years of their contract all the time.

Edited by ben00rs

Do we have the cap room to re-sign Zajac AND get someone like Semin?

I just don't know how it's possible plus add in Clarkie, Elias, Larsson in a few years, Henrique...

Next year's market is going to have a lot more on it than it will this year.

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2

I imagine some of these guys will get locked up, but names like Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Ribeiro, Stephen Weiss. Thats just a few including Travis. Then we have RFAs this year like Kane and Weber who may only take one year deals which changes their UFA status for next.

The chance of next year's free agency being crazy is very good + a new CBA will change things. Deals are likely going to be limited to 6 years and who knows what the cap will do. We're going to have an easier time locking up Zajac if we end up waiting til July than we would have if he went UFA this year. The competition will not be as fierce as there are so many good players (as of now) headed towards free agency. Its really hard to guess anything without the new CBA being in place and again, guys will probably get signed before July.

Its too hard to guess what Zajac will get etc. The market can't even be guessed because of the uncertainty.

Lou should offer him a nice extension. If he turns it down, ship him out...

I like the idea of keeping guys for a Cup run, but if we are not looking like a juggernaut in February or so I would get what I can for him. There is no law against him resigning with us in the offseason.

Next year's market is going to have a lot more on it than it will this year.

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2

I imagine some of these guys will get locked up, but names like Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Ribeiro, Stephen Weiss. Thats just a few including Travis. Then we have RFAs this year like Kane and Weber who may only take one year deals which changes their UFA status for next.

The chance of next year's free agency being crazy is very good + a new CBA will change things. Deals are likely going to be limited to 6 years and who knows what the cap will do. We're going to have an easier time locking up Zajac if we end up waiting til July than we would have if he went UFA this year. The competition will not be as fierce as there are so many good players (as of now) headed towards free agency. Its really hard to guess anything without the new CBA being in place and again, guys will probably get signed before July.

Its too hard to guess what Zajac will get etc. The market can't even be guessed because of the uncertainty.

Don't expect Perry & Getzlaf to be on the market by then:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/ducks_intend_to_sign_perry_getzlaf/

He's in the Parise place. We won't trade him (unless we fall apart this season) since as we saw last year anything can happen in the playoffs. It might be a journey but this team is still good its just surviving the regular season and finding out if we can get the balanced scoring again

Trading Zajac now is dumb. I'm more trade happy than Lou (I advocated like crazy to trade Gomer when it was extremely unpopular to do so... time has made that stance popular today - but I took a lot of sh!t for it then).

You play til the deadline with Zajac... you see his feelings on extending, or if you have a good read that he wants to return, but wants to see his market... Unless you're out of the playoffs, keep him.

If you get the feeling he's walking. Trade him at the deadline when teams will vastly overpay for expiring contracts. Unless the return is a Kovy return... then just roll with it, and hope for a nice cup run...

I don't know if this would be more creepy than supportive, but I have Zajac's address in Jersey. Maybe we could send him letters telling him to sign back with jersey before July 1, just maybe he would. But, even if we did not, he would choose wether or not to do so.

It's creepy and could be considered stalking at some point.

Let that thought go.

I don't know if this would be more creepy than supportive, but I have Zajac's address in Jersey. Maybe we could send him letters telling him to sign back with jersey before July 1, just maybe he would. But, even if we did not, he would choose wether or not to do so.

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Yes, it gets the hose again doesn't it Precious.

Please tell me you didnt do that with Zach..................

That knockout was great. It came at a time when Cooke was a danger to every player on the ice too.

Bush league to scrap with a visor on, especially while the other dude has NO helmet though....

Please tell me you didnt do that with Zach..................

:rolleyes:

"9-1-1- do you have an emergency?"

"Yes, there are 3 people outside of my house in the bushes with red and black makeup on, wearing my jersey. They are holding posters that say "PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ZACH-Y-POO!" I'm scared for my life!"