Langenbrunner realizes he might be one of Devils’ cap casualties

Rock

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/langenbrunner_realizes_he_might_be_one_of_devils_cap_casualties/

“I think I definitely have to,” Langenbrunner said of including himself in the group of players who could be traded. “I have not been asked to waive my no-trade or anything yet, but I do understand that it’s a possibility and it depends on what they have to do.”

Langenbrunner realizes his no-trade clause doesn’t mean he can’t be traded, but it does give him some power to influence where he ends up. Under what conditions would Langenbrunner agree to waive his no-trade?

“I would have to think about it,” said. “That’s one thing about being given the no-trade. I never believed that it was something that keeps you from being traded. It just allows you to determine a little bit more where you’re going to go. I don’t feel that if it came to (being traded), it’s not being wanted. It’s that you can’t do much about it. I’m old enough that I’d understand if it happens. I’d be disappointed, but I also understand I guess do what I have to do.”

Langenbrunner made it clear that he’d prefer to remain a Devil, though.

“I wouldn’t have signed here when I did and for what I did if I didn’t want to,” he said. “I do believe this is going to be a good hockey team here and it would be fun to be a part of it, but I also understand that it might not be the way it works out.”

The thing is -- Langenbrunner has never gotten his sh!t together -- but his sh!t NOT together is better than most guys as collected as they'll ever hope to be. his priorities have always been straight enough that he does the right thing. He got all fvcked up last Spring - he knew it he mouthed off and didn't handle his frustration AT ALL well. I only expect he's learned from that - he may really come into his own this year if he's as mature as he seems.

It's really hard when you've always had a certain style and been in a certain role -- Langenbrunner never has struck me as the maturity leader. He's the balanced heart leader. I think he's going to take on some of the maturity he was toying with. fighting against maybe even last season and grow into a more well rounded disciplined captain. HE's gotten a beat down and he's taking it beyond well IMO. I am NOT there and I dont know the guy but -- that's my glass 3/4th filled take on it. If he's jettisoned then I know I had it a little wrong :evil::giggle:

Langenbrunner didnt really say he was talking about himself, TG made that assumption because he used "us".... But I think Langenbrunner was referring to it could be just about anyone that gets cut or moved.

I really believe if we trade langenbrunner it would really be a step in the wrong direction and besides his cap hit isnt all that terrible.

The team is nearly $3 million over the cap and Langenbrunner comes with a $2.8 million cap hit. He's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. "I would definitely say there is an uneasiness," captain Jamie Langenbrunner told me. "We’re all smart enough to figure out which guys are uneasy or waiting to see what’s going to happen. There’s probably six or seven of us that fit into the category of making enough money to leave to fit us under the cap and are of a certain age that would be tradable. I think all of us are smart enough in the business of hockey to understand it. It’s a situation that it could be any one of six or seven of us. Probably two of us." Langenbrunner declined to share which six or seven players he thinks fall into that category. However, Bryce Salvador, Dainius Zubrus, Colin White, Brian Rolston, and even Travis Zajac have all been rumored to be amongst the players that the Devils' might shop.

ever since we became front runners for kovy and the need to trade a player became apparent, i've had Langenbrunner on my list of guys i wouldnt mind to see go.

Now, however, i'd almost rather lose a 2nd first round pick in the coming years to get rid of Rolston before trading Langenbrunner.

i think we should seriously consider moving our first in the 2012 draft [because 2011's is projected to be a stronger draft than this year] and rolston to anyone willing for a mid-round pick in return. it gives us over 2 mil in space, and sure we lose a first and that sucks, but we have another 6 rounds to pick from.

Yeah I'm still hesitant about seeing Langenbrunner go. He did bail out on the team at the end of last season but I've read that he was having other issues besides the one with Lemaire. Besides late last season he's been fiercely loyal to this organization and he's pretty much always come ready to play.

Yeah I'm still hesitant about seeing Langenbrunner go. He did bail out on the team at the end of last season but I've read that he was having other issues besides the one with Lemaire. Besides late last season he's been fiercely loyal to this organization and he's pretty much always come ready to play.

agreed. if both he and zubrus stay, however, i want to see the snooze line get a shot before we see zz-pops reunited.

i think you guys are crazy to let jaime go...his cap hit for all he brings is huge...i too have noticed him setting up zach quite a bit...you guys seem to think you can put anyone into zz pop and itll fit and his history with us is huge...we wouldnt have won in 03' without him

i have no idea why this board hates on him as much as they do

i have no idea why this board hates on him as much as they do

i dont get it either....... Maybe they hate him because Lemaire was a douche and tried to take away his C for no reason at all. This wasnt Minnesota Lemaire, we dont rotate captains. I guarantee if Parise was already captain and lemaire tried to take it away from him and Parise refused, no one would hate Parise for the same reason.

There is no reason to hate Langenbrunner.

how can anyone say he was the only one that quit on the team? I am pretty sure it was definitely more than one player that quit on the team last season,.

i dont get it either....... Maybe they hate him because Lemaire was a douche and tried to take away his C for no reason at all. This wasnt Minnesota Lemaire, we dont rotate captains. I guarantee if Parise was already captain and lemaire tried to take it away from him and Parise refused, no one would hate Parise for the same reason.

There is no reason to hate Langenbrunner.

how can anyone say he was the only one that quit on the team? I am pretty sure it was definitely more than one player that quit on the team last season,.

lol, tried to take away his C...he wanted to sit Jamie for one lousy game and give the C to someone else as teams frequently do when the captain's out of the lineup. Jamie pitched a fit and instead of using it as motivation to play better went in the tank from that point on.

The only thing you're right on is he's not the only one that quit on the team, but since he was and is the C that makes it even more inexcusable and easier for everyone else to do so.

I've pretty much accepted he'll be on the team this year, if nothing else it's just too much upheaval to dump the captain during training camp after all the crap we've been going through this offseason but he's going to have to work to get out of my doghouse.

Edited by Hasan4978

The ZZPops line is the only well-oiled line we have running right now. We're most likely going to have a modicum of three new lines. IMO it's good to keep that ZZPops line together to allow time for the other lines to gel. We need some stability. Letting go of Jamie would create some issues.

Terrell Owens is playing for dirt. Sometimes, it's a lot more about what they're like as a teammate than it is about what they're like as a point-getter. For the record, I'm still not sold that Langs is the cancer everyone chalks him out to be, but there was a significant drop in his playing ability after his hissy fit last year.

We have no idea what was said or done in the Devils locker room during the final stretch and playoffs last year, but threatening to take away the C is a pretty big deal to me. At first, I was pissed when Elias got the C stripped, but after seeing Jamie pick up his play the last 2 seasons as captain really says a lot

overtime :lol: you're out of control. I agree with you completely about wanting to keep Langenbrunner (based on what I've seen of him anyhow) --but you're making less than no sense. I mean - starting at He said us so he doesn't mean himself on down to the Lemaire fiction about taking away his C - just loony tunes. That's OK though -- I've been a little more insane over players so... I'm just sayin' is all :evil:

We have no idea what was said or done in the Devils locker room during the final stretch and playoffs last year, but threatening to take away the C is a pretty big deal to me. At first, I was pissed when Elias got the C stripped, but after seeing Jamie pick up his play the last 2 seasons as captain really says a lot

Now I heard it was for one game.... if there was any drama or concern about it being more -- well that that means there was one big ass problem doesn't it? and it takes two to tango doesn't it? and you step aside for your coach because it's HIS CALL. When he fvcks up as you knew he would -- THEN, if you MUST, you can open up your yap. You don't holler about a bad call -- you move on shake it off and win the game making it all a wash. THat's the winning way -- and that is the Devils way. ESPECIALLY with someone as respected and knowledgeable as Lemaire. YOU WORK FOR THE MAN! You dont tell everyone you know better IF THAT'S EVEN WHAT HAPPENED!!!

What I am saying is if you excuse his behavior as being due to tensions with Lemaire -- that's a HUGE crock of sh!t. Tension with Lemaire woudl be the very reason to ditch his ass. but I'm not sold on that being exactly what happened. Misconceptions, miscommunication -- I can forgive all that. but a Hissy on top of a hissy on top of a hissy -- dude -he's got no business in a leadership role if that's the way he's going to conduct himself. and no business on the team if acting like an a$$hole amps up his attitude and sh!ts up his play. Get some REALISTIC sight here guys.

Edited by Pepperkorn

overtime :lol: you're out of control. I agree with you completely about wanting to keep Langenbrunner (based on what I've seen of him anyhow) --but you're making less than no sense. I mean - starting at He said us so he doesn't mean himself on down to the Lemaire fiction about taking away his C - just loony tunes. That's OK though -- I've been a little more insane over players so... I'm just sayin' is all :evil:

its all good.

I was in the court of wanting to rid of Jamie but that is no longer the case. I want to keep Jamie, but I feel that Zubrus is actually more valuable than Jamie in the long run.

For me, the only way I'll accept them getting rid of Jamie without getting bent out of shape about it, is if somehow, Rolston goes with him.