Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I clearly said I don't agree with the chant or participate in it. I just said I don't see why people are so adamant about what other people can or can't chat. It's a hockey game. I don't like the chants but I'm not expecting other people to change their cheers because of it.

By StarDew's way of thinking then hockey players should go to charm school.

how is this thread really still going on.. talk about beating a dead horse geeze

I agree.  What's done is done.

Honestly the you suck chant is a lot of fun. I think the people against it are just being squares. I still remember the rock shaking when we beat the rangers in the ECF. I was with my step father and his son who is an islanders fan, the kid went nuts screaming rangers suck, and followed along with every you suck chant.

Those are good memories, everyone gets involved in the you suck chant, its like mass bonding. Very upset to hear it's gone, as its one of the most fun things about going to the games.

It's just unnecessary to chant after we score a goal.  Rock and Roll part 2 is supposed to be a celebratory song.  Adding "you suck" to a goal celebration makes it seem like we care more about the other team than our own team.

By StarDew's way of thinking then hockey players should go to charm school.

I don't see that anywhere in his post.

No, trust me, I understand your point completely. I also understand that it's a load of nonsense - that's the difference. Dismissive? Sure, but this whole debate is just ridiculous. I haven't spoken about this anywhere other than this forum - does this count as a social media outlet? If I'm being labeled as what you've described, can I label you as an overly-sensitive "classy" 40-something? To bring age into this is ridiculous, but I've done so to make my point.

You have to bring age into this because that's where the problem lies in the open. The majority of those fans who think "you suck" is creative, funny, original, etc. is the younger segment. To a lesser extent, it's a maturity problem perhaps mixed with alcohol and a monkey see/do mindset. It's not just limited to "you suck" chants either. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

It's just unnecessary to chant after we score a goal.  Rock and Roll part 2 is supposed to be a celebratory song.  Adding "you suck" to a goal celebration makes it seem like we care more about the other team than our own team.

How so? That is a tradition basically, it's chanted after we score goals. It is ingrained with the current generation of fans coming up and a lot of the ones not to square to get into it. And it is done in response to goals, aka its a celebration, how you interpret it is one thing, but how its used is another.

I think there are a lot of "mature" people here that think its low class. The reality is tons of people have fun with it, why keep them from having it?

Edited by Sneax

I don't see that anywhere in his post.

That's what was implied Dr. Melfi

How so? That is a tradition basically, it's chanted after we score goals. It is ingrained with the current generation of fans coming up and a lot of the ones not to square to get into it.

I think there are a lot of "mature" people here that think its low class. The reality is tons of people have fun with it, why keep them from having it?

Why can't we can't we chant something positive that we can direct at our team when we score?  Why does everything have to be negative towards the opposition?

Any chant that shows support for our team is disliked by our fans.  I just don't get it.

Why can't we can't we chant something positive that we can direct at our team when we score?  Why does everything have to be negative towards the opposition?

Any chant that shows support for our team is disliked by our fans.  I just don't get it.

Why does it matter? That's what we chant, that's what took hold. It is organic and real and lots of people get into it. Sorry you feel we have to chant something positive. Most people seem to enjoy the chant, given that it rocks the dome every time we score.

Edited by Sneax

Why does it matter? That's what we chant, that's what took hold. It is organic and real and lots of people get into it. Sorry you feel we have to chant something positive. Most people seem to enjoy the chant, given that it rocks the dome every time we score.

It doesn't matter.  But why does this goal song and chant matter so much?

It doesn't matter.  But why does this goal song and chant matter so much?

Because its tradition now (well I guess "was" is more appropriate). It's a part of going to a devils game, an enjoyable part. Now its gone.

Edited by Sneax

Because its tradition now (well I guess "was" is more appropriate). It's a part of going to a devils game, an enjoyable part. Now its gone.

R&R part 2 is a tradition that started over 30 years ago even before the devils were in nj and were the colorado Rockies.

The you suck part was just something a bunch of immature 20-something's came up with post 2005 lockout because they wanted to turn an NHL game into a college game. It's not a tradition.

should the Indians and Redskins get to keep Chief Wahoo and the racial slur name too? It is tradition after all. And apparently if anything's even a bad tradition, we have to keep it 

R&R part 2 is a tradition that started over 30 years ago even before the devils were in nj and were the colorado Rockies.

The you suck part was just something a bunch of immature 20-something's came up with post 2005 lockout because they wanted to turn an NHL game into a college game. It's not a tradition.

Sorry, didn't realize you were the authority on it. It is a tradition albeit a relatively new one, but when everyone is chiming in (and believe me you are the minority in not participating) then I'd say it is one.

The immature argument is stupid, its a sporting event, not high society dinning, people should be a little rambunctious. It's not like we are flyers fans, overall the devils fan base is pretty grounded, let people have this one vice. If the "immaturity" at sporting events gets to you, I hear watching from the comfort of your home is a good option.

should the Indians and Redskins get to keep Chief Wahoo and the racial slur name too? It is tradition after all. And apparently if anything's even a bad tradition, we have to keep it 

Comparing a harmless you suck chant to a racially insensitive slur, CLEARLY the same thing.

Edited by Sneax

Why does it matter? That's what we chant, that's what took hold. It is organic and real and lots of people get into it. Sorry you feel we have to chant something positive. Most people seem to enjoy the chant, given that it rocks the dome every time we score.

It doesn't matter. But why does this goal song and chant matter so much?

You're just talking in circles now. He's said, in the post you quoted, why it mattered. It was a (albeit more recent) tradition that the majority (yes, majority - swallow that tough pill) of the fanbase enjoyed. People were into it. That's why it mattered.

And I'm sensing a bit of a "get off my lawn" vibe in this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the atmospheres at the college sporting events I've been to as both a student and alum at Rutgers, and as a visitor at other schools, were usually much more exciting than that of your typical, nonplayoff Devils game. I agree you don't need stupid drunk 19 year olds screaming at each other all game, but what's the problem with bringing a little life to the arena? It gets SO quiet at times.

I'm wondering how people who object to the "you suck" chant on the basis that it's immature feel about Los Diablos and their section.

/facepalm

You're just talking in circles now. He's said, in the post you quoted, why it mattered. It was a (albeit more recent) tradition that the majority (yes, majority - swallow that tough pill) of the fanbase enjoyed. People were into it. That's why it mattered. And I'm sensing a bit of a "get off my lawn" vibe in this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the atmospheres at the college sporting events I've been to as both a student and alum at Rutgers, and as a visitor at other schools, were usually much more exciting than that of your typical, nonplayoff Devils game. I agree you don't need stupid drunk 19 year olds screaming at each other all game, but what's the problem with bringing a little life to the arena? It gets SO quiet at times. I'm wondering how people who object to the "you suck" chant on the basis that it's immature feel about Los Diablos and their section.

That guy is a putz (I know there are multiple dudes, I just assume they are all the same guy), there was a guy in a wheel chair in my section 2years ago during the playoffs. He couldn't sit in his seat (obvious reasons) so he was near the isle. The guy boxed him out because that's where he was supposed to be.

Edited by Sneax

We don't own "Rock and Roll part 2".  It's not ours.  We don't own "You suck" either.  The whole tradition thing is imo overblown.  That being said, I absolutely love the song.

It's OK new "safe" and "family friendly" traditions can be created! Gotta be positive guys!

Do you really believe you're being funny?

Sorry, didn't realize you were the authority on it. It is a tradition albeit a relatively new one, but when everyone is chiming in (and believe me you are the minority in not participating) then I'd say it is one.

The immature argument is stupid, its a sporting event, not high society dinning, people should be a little rambunctious. It's not like we are flyers fans, overall the devils fan base is pretty grounded, let people have this one vice. If the "immaturity" at sporting events gets to you, I hear watching from the comfort of your home is a good option.

Comparing a harmless you suck chant to a racially insensitive slur, CLEARLY the same thing.

Well who has the authority to demand management to change it back?  The answer is none of us do.  Whether or not we're in the minority is irrelevant.  Let's say it's about 25-30% that don't like it.  I think that's about right.  That is still a significant chunk of the fanbase.  Remember, several of the people who go to games are just casual fans.  The casual fans will always outnumber the diehards.  Casual fans tend to be followers more than leaders.

Flyers fans can be jerks.  But they still show genuine support for their team.  They don't boo their own goal song, nor do they chant "you suck" after their team scores a goal.

Some can argue "You suck" isn't a harmless chant.

You're just talking in circles now. He's said, in the post you quoted, why it mattered. It was a (albeit more recent) tradition that the majority (yes, majority - swallow that tough pill) of the fanbase enjoyed. People were into it. That's why it mattered. And I'm sensing a bit of a "get off my lawn" vibe in this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the atmospheres at the college sporting events I've been to as both a student and alum at Rutgers, and as a visitor at other schools, were usually much more exciting than that of your typical, nonplayoff Devils game. I agree you don't need stupid drunk 19 year olds screaming at each other all game, but what's the problem with bringing a little life to the arena? It gets SO quiet at times. I'm wondering how people who object to the "you suck" chant on the basis that it's immature feel about Los Diablos and their section.

The Diablos section actually chants positive chants.  They were chanting "we are jersey", and the "kill" chant started with them.  I sat in 122 last game.  I can't name a single person who doesn't want excitement in the arena.  There's no need to accuse us of wanting to take the fun away.

No matter what's happens bon jovis sh!t song our house is not the answer to a new goal song. Its horrendous and terrible.

I don't disagree.  I still don't know why they didn't try this out in preseason.  I also still don't understand why they can't play Hells Bells as the goal song.  To me it's perfect.  I hope they try something different against the Rags.

me and my 24 year old get off my lawn vibe. Do you honestly think there wouldn't be just as good a chant half the year in if they picked the right song? They've messed up and that's why they've gone back to the you suck song. College atmospheres are fine, the chant itself is the problem, not chanting in general. It's not just that it's immature either, it's boring and uncreative. It's what a 5 year old would come up with. The chants at rutgers games, as you apparently should know, are way more creative than that for the most part or are completely linked to the school. This is a 5 year old's idea of a good chant. It's the only time I'm embarrassed to be a Devils fan. Come up with something actually objectively decent and people will chant it, as they've taken this crud chant and chant it just because they can 

The Diablos' chants are actually linked to the team/state/whatever, not what a 5 year old thinks is funny that's completely unrelated to the individual team or sport 

http://section303.com/chants

Nashville seems to have it right.

It's so much of a devils tradition other teams use it too!

Edited by DH26

http://section303.com/chants

Nashville seems to have it right.

That's fair.

But, Nashville plays a Tim McGraw song before they play Rock and Roll 2.  That makes a huge difference.  They don't overdo the "sucks" thing like we do.  Also the "you suck" isn't as audible on the tv when Nashville does it.

My suggestion is do the "Hey!" chant without the "you suck" chant.  Then follow that up with the "opposing team sucks!" chant.  It makes the overall goal celebration less awkward, and we can still tell the opposing team they suck.