Just imagine a sold out rock full of devils fans

davemooch

seems like theres always a reason the Devils don't draw on the board.

And the blame always falls on the Devils and their ticket pricing.

We can debate it forever, I don't think its the ticket pricing.

Unless i missed it, I haven't seen anyone propose a pricing structure that they feel will increase attendance and still allow the Devils to field a playoff caliber team.

here is a solution, if you can't afford season tix and you are not going to games because individual ticket prices are too high, then start networking with STH's

9 price points under $65 and that's Premier pricing (as everyone knows, highest tier).

if you can't find a ticket in your budget here ($20, 35, 40, 41, 52, 57, 63, 63, 65) then there is no point talking about this further because you are completely unreasonable.

I for one would help fans get discounted tickets if it meant filling the building.

The Devils aren't fielding a team based on ticket prices. Teams and tickets/salaries in pro sports is largely a myth. Ticket revenue of the upper and lower bowls plays a very minor role in salaries. The Devils are able to pay salaries they can thanks to a tremendous TV deal and a new building. I posted a study on the subject awhile ago that was done by a sports marketing anaylist and it pretty much explained the minor role tickets play in salaries.

Perhaps the only thing the Devils can really do is market themselves better. Sell hockey and the sport. Hockey is the 7th and 8th sport in the Metro area and maybe the Red Bulls will close in on that. They had that golden chance when the NYR were terrible and the Devils were winning/playing for Cups. Instead of selling the team, the players, getting players out and about, advertising themselves as "the winning team" and really, really trying, the Devils philosophy was "we win, that's enough". No, it's not.

Edited by SJP20

I'd imagine a bunch of the older season ticket holders sell their tickets to the rangers games. They don't want to deal with the nonsense.

I've been a season ticket holder for 4 seasons over the past 15 years. I can't do it right now because I have 2 small children and another on the way. I splurged and bought $85 seats for my whole family for the Niedermayer game, but I can't do that too often.

they should just tear up the current pricing charts, and make it real simple. 200's are $10, 100's are $20 in the end zones and $30 between the lines, and downstairs non-club are $65. Club seats should be around $100/ea.

They'd get another 3000 a game easily with that kind of pricing.

with a $100m winger to pay for, another coming up on free agency and a $300M building.

They would be in Chapter 11 even faster than they are now.

Devils would even be able to afford to spend the NHL floor with those prices.

You realize the Devils would be an absolute horrible team because they couldn't afford to pay players then fans would stop coming because the team is in last place.

i respect your opinion but that would never work

The Devils aren't fielding a team based on ticket prices. Teams and tickets/salaries in pro sports is largely a myth. Ticket revenue of the upper and lower bowls plays a very minor role in salaries. The Devils are able to pay salaries they can thanks to a tremendous TV deal and a new building. I posted a study on the subject awhile ago that was done by a sports marketing anaylist and it pretty much explained the minor role tickets play in salaries.

Perhaps the only thing the Devils can really do is market themselves better. Sell hockey and the sport. Hockey is the 7th and 8th sport in the Metro area and maybe the Red Bulls will close in on that. They had that golden chance when the NYR were terrible and the Devils were winning/playing for Cups. Instead of selling the team, the players, getting players out and about, advertising themselves as "the winning team" and really, really trying, the Devils philosophy was "we win, that's enough". No, it's not.

point is network with a STH and use their clout with the team to get better pricing.

There is a price point for EVERYONE

with a $100m winger to pay for, another coming up on free agency and a $300M building.

They would be in Chapter 11 even faster than they are now.

Devils would even be able to afford to spend the NHL floor with those prices.

You realize the Devils would be an absolute horrible team because they couldn't afford to pay players then fans would stop coming because the team is in last place.

i respect your opinion but that would never work

We didn't stop coming last year when we were in last place :D

Stars did something similar, they're having worse attendance problems than we are, and just got purchased out of bankruptcy.

chapter 11 probably isn't a bad thing, there's a lot of bad liabilities on the devils balance sheet :)

If the team can survive another 10 years we'll be fine. the fanbase is REALLY young. I see tons of kids in devils gear all the time.

they should just tear up the current pricing charts, and make it real simple. 200's are $10, 100's are $20 in the end zones and $30 between the lines, and downstairs non-club are $65. Club seats should be around $100/ea.

They'd get another 3000 a game easily with that kind of pricing.

But would they make more of a profit? If you're not able to charge an obscene amount, and still sell out, you operate on a profit curve. In, there words they figure out what price level makes them the most money. If they don't sell out, but make more per ticket, they can make more of a profit. I obviously don't know the devils curve, and I would guess they're a little short of the max, but the idea that they want to sell out and should lower the tickets that much to do it is a myth.

It has nothing to do with; "strength of franchise" or having a passionate fanbase. The Rangers were here first! PERIOD!

..the sooner people realize that, the better.

------------------------------------

Today the Jets play the Giants @ MetLife (Giants) stadium. Although the Jets are the home-team, I fully expect a 60/40 (possibly 50/50) split, between the fans in attendance.

Does this have anything to do with strength of franchise? --NO. The Jets are valued as one of the highest revenue organizations in sports.

Does this have anything to do with the Jets being a competitive team? --NO. The Jets have only 3 losing seasons, since 1997.

Does this have anything to do with the Jets being a newer team? --NO. The franchise was started in 1959.

..this is because of 1 reason, and 1 reason only. The Giants were here first! End of sentence.

I'm actually astonished that we're averaging nearly 15,000 thus-far this season. The arena holds 17,000. What the fvck do people want?! :noclue:

The NEW YORK RANGERS are ranked 15th in the league in attendance!!! And that's fvcking NEW YORK! Why should I expect anything more from a 29 year old hockey franchise, in the tri-state area?! All things considered, I am extremely proud of the Devils following!

EDIT: I also think you're missing the point of what an economic recession really is.

People can't go to games, because people can't afford it. The majority of the country is on budget. The family man no longer has any type of disposable income.

..sick and tired of these fvcking threads. :blahblah:

Edited by Beezer34
  • Like 3

Exactly. I've said something like this on another board. If I'm a casual fan, why should spend money on your product when I have no idea who you are and what you're about? Who are the Devils? Who are these guys that I have trouble pronouncing their names? Will I get my money's worth more times than not? Stuff like that. Cutting down the prices is obviously necessary but marketing the club and its players is also very important. As cheesy as it was refer to the Blackhawks and their carols. Don't even have to resort to that; just copy what the Capitals, Sharks, Pens and even Flyers have done. And guess what? Those teams sell out, even on weeknights against nondraws.

Edited by Marv4Life

Exactly. I've said something like this on another board. If I'm a casual fan, why should spend money on your product when I have no idea who you are and what you're about? Who are the Devils? Who are these guys that I have trouble pronouncing their names? Will I get my money's worth more times than not? Stuff like that. Cutting down the prices is obviously necessary but marketing the club and its players is also very important. As cheesy as it was refer to the Blackhawks and their carols. Don't even have to resort to that; just copy what the Capitals, Sharks, Pens and even Flyers have done. And guess what? Those teams sell out, even on weeknights against nondraws.

So what you're saying is that first, the Devils should eliminate the Rangers and even the Islanders from the market. Gotcha.

I'm actually astonished that we're averaging nearly 15,000 thus-far this season. The arena holds 17,000. What the fvck do people want?! :noclue:

The NEW YORK RANGERS are ranked 15th in the league in attendance!!! And that's fvcking NEW YORK! Why should I expect anything more from a 29 year old hockey franchise, in the tri-state area?! All things considered, I am extremely proud of the Devils following!

15th but filling the place at 99.9%, can't do much better than that.

Edited by titans04

If your on this board, you know who Ilya Kovalchuk is.

You know how you would feel at home vs the Habs and Rangers?

If the Devils won the game.

It's all about perspective. 5000 fans of a team that is WINNING will make more noise than 12000 fans of the team that is losing. Plain and simple.

Excellent point.

25 teams have more expensive upper deck tickets.

Four teams do not. Of them includes Dallas, Florida, Columbus, and Phoenix. Ticket prices are fair, quit bringing it up.

Agreed. At least I'm not alone in thinking so.

Edited by trailblazer

25 teams have more expensive upper deck tickets.

Four teams do not. Of them includes Dallas, Florida, Columbus, and Phoenix. Ticket prices are fair, quit bringing it up.

Fair compared to what? Markets like the seven Canada teams, NY, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, DC and other big markets where you can gouge? Or other teams that don't have as much competition for the entertainment dollar, have inflated prices and don't come close to selling out either? Besides, not every team employs a flat system throughout the entire upper deck bowl the way the Devils do. The Isles have some cheaper upper deck seats, but they also have some more expensive too. Chicago's cheapest seats a couple years back were $33 or so on Ticketmaster - for standing room seats, not actual seats.

If anything, the Devils underprice the Center Ice sections in the upper deck and overprice the corners. They were selling out the upper deck consistently until they went with the one price fits all system and jacked up every other section.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I remember reading that the average North American sports team receives 60% of their revenue through ticket sales. Now the Devils have a lucrative tv contract that helps....but to think low attendance figures won't dictate how the front office makes decisions is crazy.

The casual fan doesn't.

When I was a casual fan I didn't know much about the players, but I knew who the big names were.. If you don't know who Kovalchuk is then you're not a casual fan, you're a "If I had to pick my favorite hockey team I'd pick the Devils" fan

For a sports franchise, its all about making a profit. If the Devils can make more money but out price a certain group of fans, that might be what they have to do. Especially in times like this, with the trouble the franchise is in.

Exactly, your never going to be able to please everyone. Companies try their hardest to keep customers happy while at the same time protecting their bottom line.

When I was a casual fan I didn't know much about the players, but I knew who the big names were.. If you don't know who Kovalchuk is then you're not a casual fan, you're a "If I had to pick my favorite hockey team I'd pick the Devils" fan

Cuz I like their uniform ahahahaha

Hey guys im a season ticket holder and so far twice this year already i felt like a vistors fan. does anyone else feel this way? the game agianst the habs and rangers are the games im talking about. as a devils fan i feel disgusted. i wish one day against a rival team we can sell out with devils fans maybe thats whats this team needs to wake up. spread the word around lets pack our hosue for a rival game. please voice your thoughts. im contacting my devils rep to see how we can do this maybe reuced price to teh game if you are a devils fan. etc please post if you have ideas on how we can do this

I feel disgusted watching I could only imagine how it feels being at the game. I refuse to ever go to another Rangers Devils game at Prudential Center again. It's a complete joke. It's a shame because I just remember how loud the Medowlands was. Huge mistake moving to Newark. You watch old games on YouTube or when they play them on MSG and there's a 100% different feel when the games took place in the old arena. The only game I've been to this year is Flyers Devils in Philly, they won and believe it or not a decent amount of rowdy Devils fans showed up.

I feel disgusted watching I could only imagine how it feels being at the game. I refuse to ever go to another Rangers Devils game at Prudential Center again. It's a complete joke. It's a shame because I just remember how loud the Medowlands was. Huge mistake moving to Newark. You watch old games on YouTube or when they play them on MSG and there's a 100% different feel when the games took place in the old arena. The only game I've been to this year is Flyers Devils in Philly, they won and believe it or not a decent amount of rowdy Devils fans showed up.

Haha you must have been sitting by me because my section and the one over had a ton of Devils fans.. To be honest, their fans were extremely tame that night compared to other times I've seen games there and just like the Ranger game, winning helps.

But yeah that night was a decent invasion of Philly

Edited by Colin226

I don't like to go to philly anymore. We used to get a lot of people there, now we get less than one hundred. It's a hostile environment (they won't do anything to you though). I hate their fans but I wish we had a hostile environment like that. Visitors in their arena do not feel welcomed. We lay out the damn welcome mat for visitors in our arena. sh!t, come take it over Montreal, Philly, and Rangers.