NFL Week 4!!!

CRASHER

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has more to do with the Pats not very good WR's not knowing the correct routes or read adjustments. BB for his collections of draft picks has miscalculated their value or the coaching staff is just not as good as years past.

As far as Brady goes...let's face it, slow, aging white QBs are always going to need good offensive lines to succeed...especially if that's what they're used to (Brady has always gotten solid OL play).  But how many QBs are going to play terribly well behind an offensive line not playing terribly well?  It's too early to tell if any of this has to do with Brady declining, but that can't be ruled out...once any athlete reaches his late 30s, he's no longer a sure bet to keep playing at the same level, and sometimes the decline can happen almost overnight.  But I need to see this go on for a full season before I can worry about that.

Yeah, BB is arrogant, and right now it looks like that arrogance is finally biting him in the ass, now that the offense isn't racking up 30+ points per game.  For some guys, it reaches the point where they think ANYTHING they do...even outside-the-box, what-the-hell-is-he-thinking-moves...is going to work, just because.  It's why Wes Welker isn't here, and Danny Amendola is.  It's why guys like Richard Seymour and Logan Mankins are treated like they're nothing more than easily replaceable pieces.  Some of BB's moves almost seem like they're made with the purpose of tweaking his QB, who to his credit has tried to give his team financial flexibility (which they then don't take advantage of). 

But I think this team is now an 8 or 9-win team, tops...I just don't see how a team that's actually a little lucky to be 2-2 is going to pull it together enough to do better than that.  They're a complete mess on too many fronts. 

Yeah, BB is arrogant, and right now it looks like that arrogance is finally biting him in the ass, now that the offense isn't racking up 30+ points per game. For some guys, it reaches the point where they think ANYTHING they do...even outside-the-box, what-the-hell-is-he-thinking-moves...is going to work, just because. It's why Wes Welker isn't here, and Danny Amendola is. It's why guys like Richard Seymour and Logan Mankins are treated like they're nothing more than easily replaceable pieces. Some of BB's moves almost seem like they're made with the purpose of tweaking his QB, who to his credit has tried to give his team financial flexibility (which they then don't take advantage of).

I agree that it's probably a case where belichick overestimates himself. But IMHO the more he struggles later in his career, the more spygate has to loom over his legacy.

I know we'll never get the full story but there was a reason why the full tapes were destroyed. It's always been interesting to me that he seems to sort of get a pass on this. And note I'm not a jets fan.

I agree that it's probably a case where belichick overestimates himself. But IMHO the more he struggles later in his career, the more spygate has to loom over his legacy.

I know we'll never get the full story but there was a reason why the full tapes were destroyed. It's always been interesting to me that he seems to sort of get a pass on this. And note I'm not a jets fan.

Spygate was a joke.  It has nothing to do with anything.     

It's all personnel.   They never developed any game changers on D, depleted their O-Line and have no weapons

The personnel is what's really taken the hit in recent years, especially once Scott Pioli left.  The defense has been pretty bad for a while now...every year it's supposed to be "maturing" and "improving", but it isn't.  Mediocre QBs have been torching Patriot Ds for several seasons.   

The Amendola signing is killing them right now, and that signing was all about arrogance and BB outsmarting himself.  I'm not saying BB should be canned, but I will say I think it's time to bring in a GM (BB isn't the first head coach who didn't make a good GM) and a defensive coordinator...someone completely outside the organization...enough with the Puppet.  This team needs a fresh defensive philosophy...I'm tired of watching the Pat D get carved up and BB and Puppetricia standing on the sidelines with those "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh" looks on their faces.     

Bill Belichick at this stage of his life (age 62 with one of the most impressive head coaching resume's ever) is not going to relinquish his GM powers as well as the defensive coordinator of his choosing. I don't ever see him agreeing to that. He might see it as an insult.

They have lol

The Vikes are going to be playing outdoors at TCF Stadium, where the University of Minnesota's Golden Gophers play, for two years, but then they are going to move back indoors at their new stadium.

I wish they would play outdoors permanently like they used to up until 1981, before the Metrodome was built. The atmosphere looks so much cooler!

Edited by 95Crash

The Vikes are going to be playing outdoors at TCF Stadium, where the University of Minnesota's Golden Gophers play, for two years, but then they are going to move back indoors at their new stadium.

I wish they would play outdoors permanently like they used to up until 1981, before the Metrodome was built. The atmosphere looks so much cooler!

Honestly I thought they had moved permanently with all the talk about how the Vikings were returning to be an outdoor team :lol:

The defense has been pretty bad for a while now...every year it's supposed to be "maturing" and "improving", but it isn't.  Mediocre QBs have been torching Patriot Ds for several seasons.   

I actually think Billy B's done a good job finally stabilizing New England's defense. (beyond just signing Revis) Currently the Pats 'D is ranked 4th in the NFL heading into Week 5.. you can't really look at that as the reason(s) why the Patriots all-of-a-sudden look mortal. I would be more concerned at the offense in decline for the last 3 seasons.. and at the end of the day, I would ask myself: "how much of that as to do with Brady" --not exactly aging as gracefully as we all hoped for.

PATS_zps8b9d0a12.png

..if he's slipping this badly in 2014.. how much worse will he look at the start of next season when he's 38? :noclue: Granted, alot of this is due to players like Welker & Woodhead not being there anymore.. but to be completely fair, if you watch Patriots games, Brady is flat-out missing wide open receivers with his passes sailing way off the mark.

I know I get flack for saying this on other message boards.. but, I just get a feeling that Tom Brady will be playing somewhere else next season. He's catching more of the blame for the Patriots lack-off success over even BB by many circles this season.. and imo, rightfully so.

The Pats' D came completely apart in Miami in the second half in Week 1, and had nothing in Week 4.  Don't make too big of deal out of Weeks 2 and 3...in Week 2, they were facing a Minnesota team that had Matt Cassel as its QB (he hasn't been good in some time) and was still reeling from the whole AP fiasco.  Week 3 was against the 0-4 Raiders, who've scored 51 points in four games so far.  Don't go by the rankings...they tend not to mean that much in the grand scheme.

re:  Brady...too early to say.  Last year he was awesome when Gronk was in the lineup, not so much when Gronk wasn't. 

The PPG chart is wrong BTW:

In 2012, the Pats scored 557 points (34.8 PPG).

In 2013, they scored 444 (27.8 PPG).  Only two other teams scored more than that last season (Chicago with 445 and Denver with 608).  So yeah, the production dropped, and like I said, they were a different offensive team without Gronk (who I said at the time had become the Pats' MVP). 

This year it's 80 (20 PPG). 

If Brady is indeed no longer Brady (we'll find this out in the weeks to come...no one can jump to that conclusion right this second), it was still one a hell of a run.  5 Super Bowl appearances, 3 SB wins...first-ballot Hall of Famer...no complaints, and I know you've given Brady props in the past, so I know this isn't about picking on Brady for the sake of picking on Brady.  Remember that Brady (and guys like him) are never going to look great behind bad O-lines...that also isn't helping his cause.