Hurricane Sandy

SterioDesign

My house is ruined BTW. I am not asking for a snap of the fingers. We are shut down and evacuated and where I am currently staying is without power. There are many many more worse off than I. There have been NO JCP&L Trucks in sight.

Posted this on a thread on the storm only as I had not seen this one.

Ive been very lucky. Power went out on Monday at 8pm as seems to be a similar story. I'm in Hudson county btw. I am stunned that it was back on by Tuesday night as none of my relatives in the state got power back until the last 24 hours. We had a lot of high winds but did not have to deal with the water issues so many dealt with. Many sections, major sections even, of the area are still without power. A lot of Jersey City is still out. Sections of Kennedy Blvd (if you know the area) are also out and the gas lines all over the place are completely f'in insane. The gas situation is really eye-opening as I've never experienced anything like it at all. Its scary to think what a very long shortage would do and I imagine I will probably experience that in my lifetime.

I am completely dumbfounded by some of the pictures I've been seeing. Seaside, Cape May, and others places I know really well just got the hell hammered out of them. I have family in Cape May and they evacuated, but their house held up pretty well with only the attic getting water damage from the rain/wind.

Power went out Monday afternoon and was back on Friday afternoon. Gas rationing begins today. Odd/even plate numbers can only buy gass on odd/even days. The wind was so bad that it blew open all 4 unit doors at once. I only lost power and with no heat it was dibilitating my bones. Nothing helped. I am now so skittish every time I hear a noise. Granted I didn't lose my unit however the trauma from the wind, trees being uprooted and tossed around. trapped in the complex due to downed trees has messed up my emotional balance. I cannot believe we are expecting a nor'easter on Wednesday. More friggin wind. :(

Glad to hear some of you guys are getting power back and were fortunate to make it thru relatively ok all things considered. Truly feel sorry for those that either lost homes or suffered significant damage, hopefully you get the help you deserve in rebuilding and get it quickly.

I'm actually taking a break tonight from sleeping in my cold house and decided to grab a ton of gas out in Pennsylvania since I have a friend whose apartment is about 20 minutes from the border. I'm hoping to get power back within a few days but I definitely understand that my street is a low priority so I have no problem waiting it out if they need to get to other areas first. In a weird way I'm sort of fortunate that Irene took out the amount of trees/branches at my house as it did last year without creating too much damage. It was insane how unscathed my yard went this year compared to my neighbor's.

I made it through the storm with no real damage, have power but no cable or internet still but really can't complain. Lots of staten island is destroyed. To see ships and cars all over some streets has been insane. I have some friends who lost their entire houses, they are just completely gone and they lost everything. Its been a really crazy week.

The temperatures are dropping. If no power/heat leave all faucets to a slow drip so the pipes don't freeze. Some of my neighbors didn't know to do this and ended up getting immense water damage. Survive Sandy and then get flood damage from frozen pipes. It ain't fair.

The temperatures are dropping. If no power/heat leave all faucets to a slow drip so the pipes don't freeze. Some of my neighbors didn't know to do this and ended up getting immense water damage. Survive Sandy and then get flood damage from frozen pipes. It ain't fair.

Sorry to hear about your neighbors. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to do that right away. I had no idea what to do and was starting to worry about that today.

I have been working 12 hour shifts responding to this hurricane. Devastating and sad. I spent three days in Union Beach, a day in Highlands, Keansburg, and a day at Spring Lake. What some people went through in Highlands and Union Beach is unimaginable. We are helping them the best we can, supplementing the local police departments with extra bodies so they can get back to their own homes that have been destroyed also. Half of highlands PD lost their own personal houses, yet they came out to work to help their townspeople. That's what cops do.

People houses, total streets, have been decimated. Even giving someone a shoulder to cry on or a pat on the back, or an ear to listen helps them in the slightest of ways.

I'm getting tired of people bitching about no power when I've sen what I've seen.

Take it from me. Find out where and when donations are being accepted and help these people out in Monmouth and Ocean.

Gotta get to bed, we've been out there since Tuesday and we are going nonstop 12 hour shifts straight through next week.

Hopefully I can vote. !!

Peace everyone and be thankful for what you have.

Jimmy leeds i live in union beach and have all my life and i wanna thank you for helping out here. Me personally, im fine, only the things in my shed and garage were ruined along with a car, and i still dont have power but i am fortunate. I had a foot of water all around my house and im on 10th st, 11 blocks from the beach front. It is comforting to see the whole town come together and offer a hand in any way they can. Its unbelievable to see all the houses completely destroyed and washed into the bay only a few blocks away. The deck from jakeabobs washed all the way from jakeabobs to 8th street. Literally the whole town was underwater. Theres numerous people missing, and a friend of mine has spoken to a diver that says shes pulled 4 bodies from the bay. I cant even imagine how long it is going to take to clean up this town.

Down my grandmothers street in Rockaway NY (Beach 141)

550165_3307974838529_1015280250_n.jpg

554026_3307974918531_1834529974_n.jpg

the top one is the sea wall that was just destroyed, the asphalt was torn off the ground.

The bottom was a house on the beac

my grandmothers house was ok physically except for the 8 feet of water (about a foot+ still remain) in her basement, her house is about a block into rockaway. Further down toward the boardwalk, its even crazier. Entire sections are just gone...

Edited by Microwavepizza

The only thing I can add to this is if you see any of the workers trying to restore your power, just keep in mind many of them are from out of state and left on short notice Sunday. I have also seen more than a few pass through the ER in Newark with injuries. They are working 16+ hours days until power is restored.

Just got power back today. Man, it has been a crazy week.

Not looking for any sympathy though, those living on the water front towns, some lost everything. Help out! I've been volunteering like a mad man lately and words cannot describe what an uplifting feeling you receive and give to people just by being there.

This week truly has changed my life.

Jersey Strong

Just got power back today. Man, it has been a crazy week.

Not looking for any sympathy though, those living on the water front towns, some lost everything. Help out! I've been volunteering like a mad man lately and words cannot describe what an uplifting feeling you receive and give to people just by being there.

This week truly has changed my life.

Jersey Strong

Do you have any suggestions of where to go to volunteer? I would like to help out too.

As you can tell by my name, I have seen some of this damage up close. It's weird that parts of Toms River didn't even lose power, but other parts got wrecked. My parents live in Silverton, and got flooded out. They only lived two blocks from the bay. Around 10pm on Monday night, the surge started coming into their house. They lost all of their whole bottom floor, both cars, all appliances and whatnot. It really sucks, and things like this happened to the whole neighborhood.

What's really crazy is the looting situation. My parents were working on their house yesterday, and they have state troopers in uniform and undercover monitoring the whole area. People come in off the bay in rowboats and jetski's trying to steal stuff. The officers are being told 'if you loot, we will shoot'. Yesterday two people were shot, one died. As mentioned before, this situation is unbelievable.

I just feel bad for my wife who has had to deal with my mother over the last week.

Edited by TomsRiverDevil

What's really crazy is the looting situation. My parents were working on their house yesterday, and they have state troopers in uniform and undercover monitoring the whole area. People come in off the bay in rowboats and jetski's trying to steal stuff. The officers are being told 'if you loot, we will shoot'. Yesterday two people were shot, one died. As mentioned before, this situation is unbelievable.

Is that confirmed? I am also in Toms River and did not see that anywhere... That's nuts if it's true... My family home is over by Cattus... we just now got power, nine days later in this neighborhood.

On the light side, saw that APP posted on facebook that the Devils, some current players, and the mascot will be at the Toms River Elks Lodge on Washington Street handing out gifts to children at 12:30 today. Glad to see them getting involved! I wonder what players it is.

Jimmy leeds i live in union beach and have all my life and i wanna thank you for helping out here. Me personally, im fine, only the things in my shed and garage were ruined along with a car, and i still dont have power but i am fortunate. I had a foot of water all around my house and im on 10th st, 11 blocks from the beach front. It is comforting to see the whole town come together and offer a hand in any way they can. Its unbelievable to see all the houses completely destroyed and washed into the bay only a few blocks away. The deck from jakeabobs washed all the way from jakeabobs to 8th street. Literally the whole town was underwater. Theres numerous people missing, and a friend of mine has spoken to a diver that says shes pulled 4 bodies from the bay. I cant even imagine how long it is going to take to clean up this town.

I wish I saw this earlier. I would have met up with you to see how you were doing. I was patrolling in an unmarked, and of course wearing my black Devils hat. Brook Road is just too sad...........Front Street between Dock & Beach actually had dry houses.....the ones facing the water.......very lucky. Today was my first day not in the area. PM me your address (if you want to) if I get back there I will stop by. Glad it wasn't horrible for you

. Where does he live? I'm in Budd Lake and I got my power back Friday.

He lives on Sandshore Dr. He got power yesterday. My office in downtown Manasquan still does not have power. I think it must be on the same circuits as the beachfront, which is totally closed. They are allowing limited visits by residents to the area between the railroad tracks and teh bridges to the beachfront, but nobody is allowed to t beachfront yet. National Guard and NJSP are making sure of that.