GDT-Flames @ Devils-7PM

Renato Rodrigues

Not really, they're 8-20 overall against backups according to this (well with several loser points sprinkled in)...the guy who did this post missed one of the McIlhenney losses though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=82690521&postcount=1

So maybe they underachieved against backups and overachieved against good goalies. There were a lot of shootout losses to backups that fudge the numbers. It's a pointless exercise. Backups on good teams generally do well, don't they?

And good point Tri...every team's fans that Brodeur beat are probably saying the same thing.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm not frustrated with the loss since I gave up on the playoffs awhile ago and I can appreciate the effort they are showing despite the current injury situation but Ryder bothers me. 1 goal in his last 33 games, just 8 assists over that time. Completely unacceptable. This isn't him being his usual streaky self - just complete ineptitude. Under no circumstance do I want to see him in a Devils uniform next year.

• Like 1

That list of backups would be more depressing if NJ didn't start a guy who is worse than most of those guys 35 times this year.

And who's fault is that? :P

Kidding aside, I can't get behind Brodeur being worse than Carter Hutton, or Jason LaBarbera, or Raanta, Emery, Nilsson or the kid Buffalo played the other night.  Some of these guys are just flat trash.  Granted, this version of Marty isn't much better at this point...but that's still a little much.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And who's fault is that? :P

Kidding aside, I can't get behind Brodeur being worse than Carter Hutton, or Jason LaBarbera, or Raanta, Emery, Nilsson or the kid Buffalo played the other night.  Some of these guys are just flat trash.  Granted, this version of Marty isn't much better at this point...but that's still a little much.

Carter Hutton was better than Brodeur this year. Antti Raanta was not, but that is a pointless example. The Hawks didn't beat the Devils twice because of their goaltending. They won because of everything else and the Devils have done just fine with a ton of backups over the years from Hedberg (not last year, Clemmensen, Schwab, Vanbiesbrouck. Good teams win with sh!t in nets a lot of the time.

LaBarbera is trash, and he was trash against the Devils. He let in 4 goals on 25 shots, but the Devils backup goalie was worse.

Just like with Marty and Cory, you can't simply go by wins and losses.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm not frustrated with the loss since I gave up on the playoffs awhile ago and I can appreciate the effort they are showing despite the current injury situation but Ryder bothers me. 1 goal in his last 33 games, just 8 assists over that time. Completely unacceptable. This isn't him being his usual streaky self - just complete ineptitude. Under no circumstance do I want to see him in a Devils uniform next year.

Sometimes I think you just have to make a statement with certain guys.  I think Ryder is one of them. 

Is there a chance some team buys low on him, and he bounces back and scores 25+ for his new team, making that GM look awfully good?  Sure. 

But no way in hell that I hang onto Ryder because I'm afraid of that happening.  Seriously, screw him.  9 points in 33 games?  The guy has literally done nothing for a team that desperately needed contributions from him, and while we're talking about numbers, his shots are down too...2 SPG this season, 2.41 SPG for his career (to be fair, that number is puffed up a bit by his first three seasons, where he averaged 2.78 SPG).  He's only had a couple of years similar to this one, as far as SPG go (in '07-'08 and '10-'11), and his numbers those seasons are similar to ones he's put up this year.  Basically, if he's not getting his shots, he's not producing.

Of course, pure "puck-luck" guys will fire back with:

If he reached his career 12.6% rate, he'd have 20 goals this season.

If he shot the 14.7% rate he averaged in the prior two seasons, he'd have 23 goals.   

That's fine and it makes some sense and that does support a case for a potential turn-around next season...but for me, it goes back to the same thing.  The guy friggin' VANISHED for almost a full half-season.  I don't think he should get a mulligan on it.  And fans in Boston probably thought he'd bounce back in '10-'11 after he scored 18 goals in '09-'10, but he basically had a similar year...18 goals in 79 GP after scoring 18 goals in 82 GP.  No way I'm taking a chance on a repeat of this season with Ryder...even if the goals are sprinkled out more evenly, 18 goals or so from a Ryder-type just aren't enough.    

Lol at you clowns who even thought goaltendng mattered this season after last night's game and the 30 or so more just like it.

Goaltending definitely factored in, especially when one guy was mostly not good, outside of one 10-game run that puffed his numbers up (he had an .887 save% outside his 10/26 to 11/25 burst.  He was at .891 after that run ended.  That's about as bad as it gets, especially when the other guy is at .919 on the season and has now shown twice that he can go on "unconscious" runs when given the chance...he's at .955 in his last seven games). 

But it was most definitely not JUST goaltending.  Devils got shut out 10 times this season.  And there were plenty of other issues (shootout futility, etc).  Injuries clearly hurt too, but a lot of teams have to deal with that.   

I'm not ready to get rid of Ryder even though I agree he was awful. He needs someone to get him the puck. He scored 15 or so goals that no on else on the team is capable of. There are a 8-9 guys that can do most hockey things better than Ryder. He can score better than 8-9 guys.  He's got 1-year left.

Edited by devilsrule33

ryder, brunner, bernier all three of them are useless and can take a hike..however that wont happen, maybe bernier i hope to god they dont resign him but who knows anymore with this team. more disappointment after disappointment it really sucks around here the past few years (except 11-12 obviously)

Im more frustated at what seems like a never ending list of losses to bnon playoff teams.. anyone have the Devs record against them?

Don't think there was that much difference between their records against top-10, mid-10, and bottom-10 teams, though MB tried to present a flawed case as to how the Devils would prosper against bottom-10s.  I think their point%s against top 10 is around .450 and around .550 against everyone else.  At any rate, their point% overall is .532, which as we know is nothing special.  We also knew it was going to take something in the .660 area post Olympic break to really challenge for a playoff spot, and they've gone 9-7-3 in that time...just .553.  Simply not good enough, and if anything, Devils got a lot more help than they really could've banked on...this 4-0-3 run was nice (but also frustating at times), but overall the reason the Devils are still mathematically alive has to do with Toronto falling apart (6-11-2 since the break), and teams like Ottawa, Washington and Carolina not playing terribly well after the break either (7-8-3, 8-7-4, and 8-11-2 respectively).  Columbus (11-7-2) and Detroit (also 11-7-2) did just enough.      

I'm not ready to get rid of Ryder even though I agree he was awful. He needs someone to get him the puck. He scored 15 or so goals that no on else on the team is capable of. There are a 8-9 guys that can do most hockey things better than Ryder. He can score better than 8-9 guys.  He's got 1-year left.

Agree 100% and I've been saying it for a while, even during his slump. He was worth the money, he just has that killer instinct the moment he wants to score a goal, his snipe is one of the most dangerous on the team.

We won't make the playoffs, simple as that. Like some others have said, I'd rather be mathematically eliminated by Thursday. The worst possible scenario, in my opinion, would be to win the next 3 (including Boston) and be 1 point out, with not getting a point in this Calgary game having been the difference. That is probably the only scenario that would make me flip my sh!t at the end of the season.

Edited by DJ Eco

Yeah I avoided the forum last night for my own sanity. It's really hard for me to get down on these guys because it's obvious they gave it everything but just didn't have it. So many guys were gassed at the end there, so it's not for a lack of effort.

It's unfortunate but again you just look back on the terrible start to the season, some of the blown leads and the shootout and that's the difference. And I agree that id rather miss by several points than only by one, although I always want to win.

Honestly if we're out by Thursday I'm fine if brodeur gets the final 3 as his farewell, and I hope the fans show up to make it memorable.

Sometimes I think you just have to make a statement with certain guys.  I think Ryder is one of them. 

Is there a chance some team buys low on him, and he bounces back and scores 25+ for his new team, making that GM look awfully good?  Sure. 

But no way in hell that I hang onto Ryder because I'm afraid of that happening.  Seriously, screw him.  9 points in 33 games?  The guy has literally done nothing for a team that desperately needed contributions from him, and while we're talking about numbers, his shots are down too...2 SPG this season, 2.41 SPG for his career (to be fair, that number is puffed up a bit by his first three seasons, where he averaged 2.78 SPG).  He's only had a couple of years similar to this one, as far as SPG go (in '07-'08 and '10-'11), and his numbers those seasons are similar to ones he's put up this year.  Basically, if he's not getting his shots, he's not producing.

Of course, pure "puck-luck" guys will fire back with:

If he reached his career 12.6% rate, he'd have 20 goals this season.

If he shot the 14.7% rate he averaged in the prior two seasons, he'd have 23 goals.   

That's fine and it makes some sense and that does support a case for a potential turn-around next season...but for me, it goes back to the same thing.  The guy friggin' VANISHED for almost a full half-season.  I don't think he should get a mulligan on it.  And fans in Boston probably thought he'd bounce back in '10-'11 after he scored 18 goals in '09-'10, but he basically had a similar year...18 goals in 79 GP after scoring 18 goals in 82 GP.  No way I'm taking a chance on a repeat of this season with Ryder...even if the goals are sprinkled out more evenly, 18 goals or so from a Ryder-type just aren't enough.    

The problem with this 'puck-luck' approach is that you are never 'due'. Just because someone is a career 13% shooter, does not mean that he has to regress to that mean following a bad season. He can just as well have another bad season. This is because we are talking about human beings, who's skills and bodies degrade over time, and who also deal with team dynamics/coaching/lines and so forth. This isnt a a pair of dice. Maybe in the long term he averages out to 13%, but how many poor seasons do you want to put up with?

The problem with this 'puck-luck' approach is that you are never 'due'. Just because someone is a career 13% shooter, does not mean that he has to regress to that mean following a bad season. He can just as well have another bad season. This is because we are talking about human beings, who's skills and bodies degrade over time, and who also deal with team dynamics/coaching/lines and so forth. This isnt a a pair of dice. Maybe in the long term he averages out to 13%, but how many poor seasons do you want to put up with?

Basically what I'm saying.  Ryder has had back-to-back seasons of low goal production before (I pointed out the Boston seasons).  I'm definitely not banking on him becoming a 25+ guy next season due to things possibly "evening out".  I think the Devils should move him (and I've only really just started to feel that way, but I've had enough).   

Meh, they took away Ryder's center and he's playing hurt.  I get disgusted when I see him carrying the puck too but like dr33 said, he needs the right players around him to make it work.  He's not going to make offense for himself, he's just not that kind of player.  He needs people that can cut through defense and get him the puck, not Dainius Zubrus.

• Like 1

Meh, they took away Ryder's center and he's playing hurt.  I get disgusted when I see him carrying the puck too but like dr33 said, he needs the right players around him to make it work.  He's not going to make offense for himself, he's just not that kind of player.  He needs people that can cut through defense and get him the puck, not Dainius Zubrus.

If he's still playing hurt then they really should've sat him awhile ago because he's doing nothing for them trying to play through it. No doubt the numbers suggest he should rebound but playing on a team like the Devils I won't hold my breath for it to happen. Do we even think Lou will be able to get linemates that suit him this offseason? Small sample size but it's a bit funny that his GF% and CF% were higher with Loktionov than any of his other linemates this year. Wish Loktionov had more of a chance with him.

Basically what I'm saying.  Ryder has had back-to-back seasons of low goal production before (I pointed out the Boston seasons).  I'm definitely not banking on him becoming a 25+ guy next season due to things possibly "evening out".  I think the Devils should move him (and I've only really just started to feel that way, but I've had enough).   

As an experienced Devils fan, I am smart enough now to scream "MOVE HIM BEFORE HE CAN'T BE MOVED."

him and brunner were both bad pick ups imo.. maybe better than what we had but noow were stuck with them for another year

But...but... what about the people who got Brunner jerseys?  What about the people who changed their Kovy jerseys to Ryder jerseys?!  Will someone please think of the children!!?

him and brunner were both bad pick ups imo.. maybe better than what we had but noow were stuck with them for another year

I really had high hopes for Brunner.

Turns out he just needs a Zetterberg-caliber player as his center to actually do anything.  Go figure.