GDT: 3/4 Detroit at Devils 7pm

Satans Hockey

Ugh, a week ago I would have said we're better off if he stays because he's a good insurance policy but at this point I don't know how you can keep him around anymore. As someone who is 38 and grew up watching him I hope that's the last time we're subjected to his drama. It's too much at this point for a backup.

Just got home from the Rock, and oh man what a game!  voice a little horse...

The refs were utterly disgusting with the amount of non-calls. Most would have been in the Devils favor but they did miss 1 or 2 for Detroit as well. 

Detroit just looked way faster most of the game, but a couple slick goals (especially that Zajac backhand!) and NJ pulls it off. 

Marty gave a little wave with the stick on the way off the ice, but if he gave a real proper long wave and small skate around then I would have thought this was it for him. Some of the players did look like they gave a slightly longer than usual pat or hug after the buzzer, so who knows....

The crowd was chanting for him since the warm ups, it must have felt real nice for him. would be a good send off. 

Brodeur was who he was today. A below average backup. The Smith and Bertuzzi goals...one of them should be stopped. The Franzen goal was pretty much unstoppable. I think that hit the top mesh.

We looked disjointed in our own end today. Detroit sort of had our way with us. Plenty of GET IT OUT GOD DAMMIT moments. But the Devils are in a 4 in 6 stretch so maybe I'm being too hard on them. Good that they have 2 off days before Detroit again

Don't think he's getting traded. Nice to come away with two points in a game where Brodeur wasn't at his best.

Edited by '7'

Just got home from the Rock, and oh man what a game!  voice a little horse...

The refs were utterly disgusting with the amount of non-calls. Most would have been in the Devils favor but they did miss 1 or 2 for Detroit as well. 

Detroit just looked way faster most of the game, but a couple slick goals (especially that Zajac backhand!) and NJ pulls it off. 

Marty gave a little wave with the stick on the way off the ice, but if he gave a real proper long wave and small skate around then I would have thought this was it for him. Some of the players did look like they gave a slightly longer than usual pat or hug after the buzzer, so who knows....

The crowd was chanting for him since the warm ups, it must have felt real nice for him. would be a good send off. 

Gionta went out of his way to get the puck after the game. He got it from Alfie.

Gionta went out of his way to get the puck after the game. He got it from Alfie.

Could be cause that might be one of his only game winning goals?

also wanted to add, as I don't know if MSG showed it, but there was a nasty hit on Brunner on what looked like his head right before the 2nd Detroit goal as he crawled off the ice. 

Crowd went nuts as they should cause he didnt even have the puck, I hope Shanaban looks at that hit. 

Great goal for little Gio, but it was absolutely Unacceptable that they didn't name Brodeur the first star and have him come out for a standing ovation. I don't care if he isn't getting traded - give the fans what they want.

Oh, and one more rant - WHY DONT THEY SHOW REPLAYS OF PENALTIES? Such an absolutely ridiculous policy at the Rock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Great goal for little Gio, but it was absolutely Unacceptable that they didn't name Brodeur the first star and have him come out for a standing ovation. I don't care if he isn't getting traded - give the fans what they want.

Oh, and one more rant - WHY DONT THEY SHOW REPLAYS OF PENALTIES? Such an absolutely ridiculous policy at the Rock.

They to concerned with drowning out the fans after we score goals to think rationally about anything else mang.

Wasn't able to see the whole game but what i did see was the devils playing their asses off. Maybe this is another second half team..Starting to come around on these guys.

Or maybe Pete had a scantily clad cardboard cutout of the owners wife, a la major league. "The way I see if it's going to take x wins to win the this..."

I'll take any win with a shaky goalie performance. I guess it almost evens out all with these bailout wins with Marty in nets and all the crappy shutout losses when Cory plays:

Some numbers:

Brodeur 91 GF in 30 games.

Schneider 61 GF in 33 games.

Tonight was Brodeur's 5th win of the season when giving up 3 or more goals. Cory has 0 such wins. Cory actually only has 3 wins all season when giving up 2 goals.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'll take any win with a shaky goalie performance. I guess it almost evens out all with these bailout wins with Marty in nets and all the crappy shutout losses when Cory plays:

Some numbers:

Tonight was Brodeur's 5th win of the season when giving up 3 or more goals. Cory has 0 such wins. Cory actually only has 3 wins all season when giving up 2 goals.

I'm too depressed to keep track of this...but this doesn't get emphasized enough.  They're literally averaging 3+ for Marty and for Cory they're on a pace that would make them the lowest-scoring team of all time.

Some numbers:

We all know Schneider is the better goalie, must you throw it in everyone's faces so repeatedly?

We all know Schneider is the better goalie, must you throw it in everyone's faces so repeatedly?

I think the stats are pretty interesting. It's the truth. For a lot of people, it isn't that clear as many see wins and decide the better goalie that way. The Devils situation is making a case that the goalie win can be just as irrelevant as the baseball pitching win.

Anyway, as for who is better, I don't think Brodeur sees it that way. And with the splits so far, it hasn't always been clear to the coach.

Edited by devilsrule33

If Marty doesn't get traded let's just wait and see who starts the Flyer game next Tuesday before we panic.  There were obviously special circumstances behind tonight and hey the Devils sold an extra 3000+ seats because of it.  Probably they'll both get a game this weekend although at the rate it's going Cory will play in Detroit (which he should) and we'll get shut out again, when Marty plays the Cane-corpse and gets another five goals of support and voila Marty's in net Tuesday.

I think the stats are pretty interesting. It's the truth. For a lot of people, it isn't that clear as many see wins and decide the better goalie that way. The Devils situation is making a case that the goalie win can be just as irrelevant as the baseball pitching win.

Anyway, as for who is better, I don't think Brodeur sees it that way And with the splits so far, it hasn't always been clear to the coach.

If it's true that it was purely a statistical observation then I apologize. But your anti-Marty everything the past week has had me questioning why you are so upset that he is on this team, wants a trade to another team and just won't damn well retire when its his career and he is being more than quiet, humble, and accommodating about it.

If it's true that it was purely a statistical observation then I apologize. But your anti-Marty everything the past week has had me questioning why you are so upset that he is on this team, wants a trade to another team and just won't damn well retire when its his career and he is being more than quiet, humble, and accommodating about it.

You're being extremely naive...just like your whole I'm glad Parise's gone so Kovy can now lead schpiel.  He's done everything but overtly say he wants a trade.  Between all the leaks and his frequent leading quotes throughout the season.  The last twenty-four hours it's seriously become a circus and it's not all the media's fault.

Anyway, as for who is better, I don't think Brodeur sees it that way. And with the splits so far, it hasn't always been clear to the coach.

I definitely can't see how you can come to this conclusion.

You're being extremely naive...just like your whole I'm glad Parise's gone so Kovy can now lead schpiel.  He's done everything but overtly say he wants a trade.  Between all the leaks and his frequent leading quotes throughout the season.  The last twenty-four hours it's seriously become a circus and it's not all the media's fault.

First off, it's a bit childish and uncalled for to attack me on that first point? It doesn't bother me though. It's you who is naive if you don't understand me getting behind a player I have followed for his whole career and looking forward to him being a leader on a team and giving an emotional post ("spiel" I think you mean?). That's a cheap shot and unnecessary. How many times have you cited my posts when I make a great prediction or an emotional post that you agree with? Anyways, I'll let this one go, you have stooped. If you want to engage me in discussion at least respond to something I said and don't just jump in because you see a chance to insult.

Secondly, how little have you read of my posts? Did I ever say that "he doesn't want a trade?" No. I think he does want a trade, absolutely.  I have this whole time. Point to a post where I have said otherwise, go ahead. It is you who is being immature when you assume symbiosis between not wanting a trade and having a good attitude. Sometimes it's best for a player to leave, for his own career and for his family. Just because that may be the case with Marty, does not mean he has not been humble and appropriate in the quotes I transcribed.

Next, "all the leaks?" What the are you talking about? The media was not even a subject of debate but now that you have uttered this falsity I must pick up on it. The one, MAYBE 'leak' was not even true and probably didn't come from anywhere in the Devils' organization. Other than that, Marty hasn't said much at all. Was he less quiet than other Devils might have been? Maybe, but he did nothing egregious, called no one out and made absolutely no trouble for the team.

Finally, I was complementing and defending a player that has given the Devils a HOF career, helped them win 3 Cups, go to 5 finals, has broken every major record in the book, and now is willing to move over if necessary and play somewhere else.  And what exactly is your problem with that? Oh, I forgot, you don't even know what I have been posting about. 

As you grow up, you learn that not every ending is one of fairy tales and that a man has to do what a man has to do. I respect Marty for wanting to keep playing and for not acting like he deserves an infinite claim on the starting role in NJ. 

Nonsense. He didn't deserve any star. He was mediocre at best.

This is one of those games where I think some will see the 20 saves on 23 shots and assume Marty wasn't any good.  Goal #1 was a nice shot by Franzen, goal #3 was a deflection that Marty couldn't have done a thing about.  Not saying Marty was awesome...there weren't really any saves that were of the spectacular variety.  He was good enough, though not so good that PDB should be bringing up anything about "hot hands".  Schneider should get the next game. 

This is one of those games where I think some will see the 20 saves on 23 shots and assume Marty wasn't any good.  Goal #1 was a nice shot by Franzen, goal #3 was a deflection that Marty couldn't have done a thing about.  Not saying Marty was awesome...there weren't really any saves that were of the spectacular variety.  He was good enough, though not so good that PDB should be bringing up anything about "hot hands".  Schneider should get the next game. 

Maybe, it's due to the fact that Brodeur lets in the same kind of goals over and over, but deflected or not, every goalie has to make a save on the 3rd goal. It wasn't that crazy of a redirecton. Brodeur just isn't very good when the puck changes angles.

He didn't have to make one really solid save all night. They asked him about the Alfredsson one in the post game press conference, but Alfredsson really missed that shot, and hit him square in the chest. 

The "stars of the game" are about as arbitrary and pointless as can be - it's absolutely shameful that Marty wasn't brought back out for one more ovation, especially if he's traded today.  Unless he personally requested not to be brought out, he should've been the first star last night.

(fvcking Gionta, ruining everything  :giggle: )

Edited by Devilsfan118

I believe the media votes on the 3 stars of the game.  It's not a team decision.  However, MSG should have asked that Marty be the person interviewed by Deb after the game.