• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

He isn't right. Even if it's over tomorrow, he isn't right.

I don't know, this whole meeting's starting to smell like a setup (in a good way). Think about it, the whole hockey world hates both Bettman and Fehr. Even them coming to a deal isn't going to give everyone warm fuzzies, it would be just like - finally. But if you have a deal that everyone thinks originated with the players and owners themselves, a lot of the bitterness over the lockout gets glossed over since it's the guys who matter to hockey fans - team owners and players - that laid the groundwork for a deal to finally get done instead of Bettman/Fehr, who everyone's going to hate no matter what. Plus if there are going to be concessions on both sides which presumably there are, Bettman/Fehr don't want to be seen as the ones who gave them because of their labor reps.

Not to mention after the guy's story comes out all the big Canadian guys (McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun) go dark for like eighteen hours, and nobody directly refutes it - only saying that they don't know anything about it.

Unless Jacobs was the guy holding everything up and Jacobs told Burton the owners were going to get compromises going tomorrow. Then Burton would have a pretty good case for saying he thinks a deal could be done today or tomorrow.

I don't know, this whole meeting's starting to smell like a setup (in a good way). Think about it, the whole hockey world hates both Bettman and Fehr. Even them coming to a deal isn't going to give everyone warm fuzzies, it would be just like - finally. But if you have a deal that everyone thinks originated with the players and owners themselves, a lot of the bitterness over the lockout gets glossed over since it's the guys who matter to hockey fans - team owners and players - that laid the groundwork for a deal to finally get done instead of Bettman/Fehr, who everyone's going to hate no matter what. Plus if there are going to be concessions on both sides which presumably there are, Bettman/Fehr don't want to be seen as the ones who gave them because of their labor reps.

Not to mention after the guy's story comes out all the big Canadian guys (McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun) go dark for like eighteen hours, and nobody directly refutes it - only saying that they don't know anything about it.

The twitter for icejerseys.com actually floated this theory earlier today. We will just have to wait and see.

It does seem to me this was the date the owners were finally going to start negotiating. I think it's obvious by bringing Burkle and Tanembaum into the meetings. In the process of this waiting they got the players to offer make whole and come down to 50/50. Now we should see a few trades of items to get a deal done.

You know what, there may have been a leak out of Jacobs camp that this was the owners deadline to play hard ball. It's pretty thin but it's a possiblity. That may have been what he was reporting. I would love to be inside the BOG meetings tomorrow, I would say emotion will be let loose.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Daly refuted it right away through all sources who would listen. Union people also denied it although I think they were unnamed. McKenzie said he didn't know anything because journalists don't step on each other's toes like that - this Burton guy is well thought of by people, and they figure he's adhering to the same standards as a regular journalist.

Unless Jacobs was the guy holding everything up and Jacobs told Burton the owners were going to get compromises going tomorrow. Then Burton would have a pretty good case for saying he thinks a deal could be done today or tomorrow.

I don't see the angle for him to do that unless it somehow leaked out of the Bruins' organization.

Daly refuted it right away through all sources who would listen. Union people also denied it although I think they were unnamed. McKenzie said he didn't know anything because journalists don't step on each other's toes like that - this Burton guy is well thought of by people, and they figure he's adhering to the same standards as a regular journalist.

Daly was never going to say anything else. How long did the league deny the Atlanta moving to Winnipeg rumors last year before it was actually announced?

TG refuted the Kovy to NJ reports...I guess that trade never happened. :whistling:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Daly: "We are going to meet tomorrow morning before our board meeting at 11."

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika

Good signs: Daly, Steve Fehr stand side by side, say progress is being made, stay tight-lipped about details, say talks will continue.

Edited by Zubie#8

Daly was never going to say anything else. How long did the league deny the Atlanta moving to Winnipeg rumors last year before it was actually announced?

Is there a deal done now? No? Then the guy was wrong. I'm sorry, but his story never made any sense.

EDIT: oh yeah, I guess he has one more day to be 'right.' even though this could be a pretty clear case of eklunding.

Edited by Triumph

Is there a deal done now? No? Then the guy was wrong. I'm sorry, but his story never made any sense.

EDIT: oh yeah, I guess he has one more day to be 'right.' even though this could be a pretty clear case of eklunding.

I believe the exact words were 'there was progress made and a deal 'could' be announced as early as Tuesday or Wednesday'. Could leaves just enough wiggle room in case it gets done, say Friday instead of today but it seems like there has been actual progress either way.

And Eklunding is parroting onto the first rumor and then passing it off as your own scoop...this guy literally WAS the first one to say there's been progress made.

Edited by NJDevs4978

From everything I've seen, this Burton guy seems pretty credible. I'd hate to see a credible guy get his name dragged through the mud just because everyone demands instant gratification on a scoop (Andrew Baggarly comes to mind).

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. One way or another, it's only Tuesday and I'd already say this has been the most optimistic week of the lockout.

From everything I've seen, this Burton guy seems pretty credible. I'd hate to see a credible guy get his name dragged through the mud just because everyone demands instant gratification on a scoop (Andrew Baggarly comes to mind).

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. One way or another, it's only Tuesday and I'd already say this has been the most optimistic week of the lockout.

Eklunding was harsh, but my sense is that he misunderstood the information he passed along. They're still negotiating, so what are they doing, pretending in there? It doesn't make sense that someone could report 'a CBA is about to be agreed to' when there weren't any negotiations to speak of, and I'm not buying the secret negotiations.

Where did you see that Zub?

Bettman wants deal done by Friday

http://blogs.edmonto...k-kypreos-says/

Yahoo Sports posted a month ago on the Sponsors deal with NHL

"According to a source with a good knowledge of the NHL’s business workings, the league has a deal with its major sponsors that will pay it 100 percent of its money if the league plays a schedule of 61 or more games. If the schedule dips below 61 games, the league will receive only 75 percent of its sponsorship money. That percentage continues to decrease down to 50 percent if the league only plays a 41-game schedule."

Sam Carchidi - Flyers Beat Wrtier

@BroadStBull: Source: Owners plan to stay in NY as many days as it takes to get settlement.

That deal with the sponsors is huge because obviously money talks and if the NHL wants to salvage 100% of sponsor revenue with a 62 game schedule they need to enact a new CBA as soon as possible.

Edited by Zubie#8

Nick Kypreos: I've heard from players that they have been contacted by coaches to tell them to get ready

He said this on hockey central. I dont know how since coaches are not allowed to talk to players during a lock out. Either his report is wrong or they agreed in principle on a deal.

Edited by Zubie#8

Bettman wants deal done by Friday

http://blogs.edmonto...k-kypreos-says/

That deal with the sponsors is huge because obviously money talks and if the NHL wants to salvage 100% of sponsor revenue with a 62 game schedule they need to enact a new CBA as soon as possible.

I find it interesting that the owners went out of their way to eliminate money-makers with deadlines like the Winter Classic and All Star Game to avoid having those be used as pressure bargaining chips against them. Yet they allowed this one to stay in place and now it's seemingly forcing their hand to reach an agreement in the next couple of days.

I find it interesting that the owners went out of their way to eliminate money-makers with deadlines like the Winter Classic and All Star Game to avoid having those be used as pressure bargaining chips against them. Yet they allowed this one to stay in place and now it's seemingly forcing their hand to reach an agreement in the next couple of days.

I bet the All-Star Game is not a huge money maker when you consider that the league shuts down entirely for 3 or 4 days when it happens. Remember, the NHL didn't really cancel the All-Star Game - I mean, sure, it isn't being played - but they're replacing it with a full slate of games.

The Winter Classic probably had to be canceled because it needs a lot of setup and has a ton of moving parts

Trying not to get excited

Same here but it is so hard not to, I seemed to get sucked in each time, is this what they mean by DIE HARD HOCKEY FAN? Lol

But at the same time if this is going to fall apart put us out of our misery and cancel the season and FIRE BETTMAN!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.