518 replies to this topic

#181 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

There's not even enough teams that NEED an expensive starting goalie to jump market value to three years. How many playoff teams really would make a pitch for Marty? Possibly Chicago and maybe Florida 'if' they pass on Luongo and junk Theodore? And Marty's not going to a loser at this point in his career, there's a reason he took less money for a decade with the Devils and it wasn't charity. He wants to win. I'm supposed to believe now he's looking for a three-year deal from NHL purgatory?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 June 2012 - 04:24 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#182 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I would love to see Marty win his 700th with us.

#183 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

If Marty goes he goes. I'm surprised that some are having a clutch the pearls moment when earlier in the season we were all speculating about Marty perhaps finishing his career somewhere else. He is the face of the franchise and will always be a Devil, but if he leaves then we have 5 million more in cap space to sign another goalie or what have you.
Look at it this way: For the past two or three seasons Marty has been on a quick downslide. I can't count how many times I've read about Marty fvcking up easy saves or being completely off his game. 1 more year at 3 million is tops what I would offer Marty if I were Lou. Marty is going to have to bite the bullet and accept he's a 40 year old Brodeur and not a 30 year old Brodeur.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#184 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

I wonder if Marty didn't go and do this because he got the inside track on Parise not coming back?

#185 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

I laugh at people who think Parise is irreplaceable. HE IS A BETTER VERSION OF BRIAN GIONTA WHO HAS NO WRIST SHOT. The team will survive if he leaves just like it did when we lost Holik, Gomez, Nieds, and Rafalkski.

#186 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm officially out of every kind of speculation.
I will wait Doomday now... Sunday is a good day to implose as a fan.

Let's go us

#187 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

I wonder if Marty didn't go and do this because he got the inside track on Parise not coming back?

As of three hours ago, Parise's agents were still meeting with Lou and Lou/Zach have been on lockdown mode the last couple of days. Unless Zach's gone into a bubble and Lou's in emo mode this isn't about an imminent departure for Zach.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#188 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

If Brodeur does go to another team, does Vanderbeek have enough $$$ to get the mural in the arena repainted?

#189 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

I laugh at people who think Parise is irreplaceable. HE IS A BETTER VERSION OF BRIAN GIONTA WHO HAS NO WRIST SHOT. The team will survive if he leaves just like it did when we lost Holik, Gomez, Nieds, and Rafalkski.

Agree 100%. Once his speed goes, he isn't going to be much of an effective hockey player anymore.

#190 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

If Brodeur does go to another team, does Vanderbeek have enough $$$ to get the mural in the arena repainted?

He wont do that. If Marty left, he just doesnt finish his career here. There will still be #30 in the rafters and a Brodeur night once he retires.

#191 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

He wont do that. If Marty left, he just doesnt finish his career here. There will still be #30 in the rafters and a Brodeur night once he retires.

I didn't mean he would repaint it out of spite but it would be really weird if Marty comes in as the away goalie and he's got a huge painting in the Devils arena.

#192 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

I agree that he's not irreplaceable, but he's a big part of this team as it currently stands and we will not be as good without him unless we get someone else in here. Its a lot easier to swallow him leaving with Henrique and Kovy + we'll hopefully get Zajac locked up long term, because that dude is due for a raise next year.

That said, I dont think hes worth $8M a year, and if he walks because thats what he gets, we'll be better off in the long term. I really don't want us to go over $7M.

I didn't mean he would repaint it out of spite but it would be really weird if Marty comes in as the away goalie and he's got a huge painting in the Devils arena.

He will always be identified with this team, whether he finishes his career here or somewhere else. Michael Jordan has a friggin statue outside the United Center, yet played there with the Wizards.

#193 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I don't think the pain of Parise's apparent departure will set in until Elias starts to fade. As of right now, we get a full year of Zajac at center and assuming Elias moves back to his natural position, we still have two of the top 10 LWs in the game and Henrique to fill the 2C spot.

As for Nieds, I would argue that a big part of our lack of playoff success up until this year was Lou's inability to adequately replace him for so many years. IMO, losing Parise falls somewhere in the middle of Nieds and the other three you listed.

#194 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

He will always be identified with this team, whether he finishes his career here or somewhere else. Michael Jordan has a friggin statue outside the United Center, yet played there with the Wizards.

Fair enough, I haven't watched the NBA since Petro died and the Nets got rid of Derrick Coleman

#195 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Fair enough, I haven't watched the NBA since Petro died and the Nets got rid of Derrick Coleman

Yea Im not much on the NBA at all, but its not a big deal if we have a tribute to Marty in the house and he goes somewhere else for a couple of years.

#196 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

They still have to spend around $9M counting whatever Gionta and Harrold got, so it ain't the money.

#197 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

They still have to spend around $9M counting whatever Gionta and Harrold got, so it ain't the money.

It could be the money if Marty wants 5-6 and Lou just doesnt want to give that to him. I think he wants more years than we're prepared to give + a raise.

#198 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Assuming Kovy/Elias on the left and Zajac/Henrique at center, hopefully a decent chunk of that is earmarked for a top 6 RW. I don't mind Zubrus as one of the top 6 but Clarkson needs to stay on the third line.

#199 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Anything more then 1 year @3M is just silly. He's 40, there's no way around it.
Posted Image

#200 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

It could be the money if Marty wants 5-6 and Lou just doesnt want to give that to him. I think he wants more years than we're prepared to give + a raise.

It's not the money. You're not getting it, they HAVE to spend this money on something. If they rolled snake-eyes on the FA market, they may HAVE to pay him something like that. Who else are you going to give the money to? It's floor psychology. If they miss on Parise and just decided to re-sign Marty and Bryce at similiar deals (to what they're making), they'd be 20 players at $54-55M. Considering anything else would be a fodder tackon, they'd pretty much be done.

Edited by maxpower, 29 June 2012 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users