The Devils next head coach will be...

'7'

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new owner in Buffalo it might be a long shot now but I've always like Ruff(even as a player) and wouldn't mind him behind the Devils bench. Assuming there is still some friction between Lindy and the GM, what would be the best playoff result for the Sabre's in order to free him up.

I have been rooting for them to be Philly becasue you know, it's Philly, but would a first round exit make it easier for the team to part with the coach? I don't see how a coach would leave after winning 2 rounds, but would a second round exit be enough? Does it really not matter what happens in the playoffs and it all comes down to the releationship between coach/gm/owner?

Just throwing it out there becasue I'm bored and I really want to continue rooting for the flyers to lose but if the possiblility of Ruff behind the Devils bench increases I wouldn't mind it as much(as long as they don't get out of the second round and the rangers collapse starting the the third period continues by getting shut out game 5)

Yeah, I admit it, I'm bored (and won't pretend to have a clue as to who will become the best prospect if drafted into our system)

although if Larson is selected, with Josefson, teddy, Tallinder, and Urbom in the system, what would the odds of getting a coach from the SEL? We must have some scouts there since we got a relativly unknown rafalski from there as well. I woulnd't even pretend to have a name in mind either. Just some outside the box thinking that Lou may consider. Maybe if it's just an assistant coach or 'consultant'. The possibility ran thru my mind before Johnny Mac was hired as well, I just thought they groomed him and there was no way he wasn't getting the job.

any help from those who follow the SEL on possible fits for a coach over here?

Joe

<edited for - Rafalski did make the top of a sporting news best player not playing in the nhl list so that was a bit off the mark>

Edited by Joe B

I'm not an expert by any means but I can't see a coach from the SEL with no NHL coaching experience working out well. It just seems like it would be too drastic for a jump.

Again, not sure who the good coaches in the SEL are but is there anyone besides Ulf Dahlen(always loved his name) who played in the NHL, scouted here, assisted in Dallas then coached over there with success(not saying Ulf had sucess, asking if anyone has had sucess with a similar career path)?

Not sure if Lou would pull off a move like that right after Johnny Mac, but who knows with Lou. He was one of the first to get Russian players with Fetisov and Starikov. He wasn't afraid to have US college players on the team(it wasn't that common 15 - 20 years ago). I think with the way Rafalski blossemed in the SEL, then translated it to the NHL game it alowd him to be confident to draft more Sweedes. It wouldn't be too big of a leap logically for me thinking a coach from a different league (I admit there has to be some familiarity with the NHL game). It would have to be the right person, which is where I just don't know who if anyone would have the credentials, and want to come back to the NHL.

Just throwing it out there

I can't see that happening. The Devils will probably promote Albelin to be an assistant whenever Larry decides to quit again, but hiring foreign coaches has been tried by other teams and hasn't really worked well. It's still going to be a predominantly North American team going forward.

The question in Buffalo is whether Ruff wants to stay. Playing Rob Niedermayer as much as he does, I can't help but think he's trying to lose. But seriously, I'd take Ruff here in a second - it's just a question of whether Ruff wants to leave Buffalo. He has a long enough coaching resume that he would be guaranteed to be hired elsewhere if he declared himself a free agent.

I really don't see this team taking kindly to a first run head coach. They need a veteran type, so I'm leaning toward Hitchcock unfortunately.

This seems to be a common theme. I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. Just because Maclean was such a trainwreck doesn't mean all first time head coaches will be problematic. Brent Sutter for example was a good coach here I thought.

Haviland I think is the front runner.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/06/blackhawks_assistant_mike_havi.html

Note: from June 10, 2010

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

This seems to be a common theme. I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. Just because Maclean was such a trainwreck doesn't mean all first time head coaches will be problematic. Brent Sutter for example was a good coach here I thought.

Haviland I think is the front runner.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/06/blackhawks_assistant_mike_havi.html

Note: from June 10, 2010

I dunno if he's frontrunner. I imagine he'll be a candidate, but I think its hard to guess which way the franchise will go this time. While I think Haviland will be a good coach, part of me wants to see them go with someone who has lots of experience. I'm sold on Hitchcock right now. I think he brings a nice balance to the table. It may be the "safer" choice, but after Johnny Mac, Id rather not see that even have a chance of happening again.

More recent article doesnt even mention Haviland's name

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/04/ken_hitchcock_kirk_muller_cand.html

I feel like as far as the most logical from our outside views that the most likely coaches are Hitchcock and Therrien just because they fit the verteran coach, defensive style, Therrien even has the montreal canadiens connection that Lou loves so much in his coaches, but I think despite that if he decides to go with a rookie coach he could get away with either Haviland due to his successful tour of duty while in Chicago and the accolaids that all the players gave him in his stints where their head coach was hospitalized. Also I would hope some consideration is given to John Hynes because he has been VERY good in the AHL getting coach of the year being best in all defensive catagories, near the top in offensive catagories, and accumulated the 3rd best record of all time this season with a team that had half of its regulars spending regular time with the parent club.

John Hynes

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558477