NJ Devils officialy offers a contract to Saku Koivu

SS-SS

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it just says we're interested, not that we made an offer.

Google translation:

"After the Minnesota Wild Thursday, the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils have both submitted a contract offer to Saku Koivu.

The Director-General of Canada, Bob Gainey, confirmed Wednesday that Koivu's stay in Montreal was completed. For two days, Gainey has put his hand on the attackers Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta.

Last season, the player of 34 years has amassed 50 points in 65 games.

In 792 games with the Habs, who is captain of the Canadiens since 1999 has scored 191 goals and 450 entries help."

I think it just says we're interested, not that we made an offer.

Well in the article it says the NY Rangers and the NJ Devils both offered a contract to Saku Koivu.

Personally i think he is a good centermen he just wasn't really helped by good players at Montreal

i think that its not a bad move if we get him but no big money

I think it's a really nice move if it's a big money deal deal for 1 year or a largely front loaded 2 year deal so he'd be easily tradeable in year 2.

A longer term deal for even reasonable money wouldn't be as exciting for the future but would still be nice for this season.

For two days, Gainey has put his hand on the attackers Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta.

It does get kinky up in MTL.

Koivu is the best center left so we damn well better get this thing done. I don't want to be left with Lang. Sundin and Sakic are not viable options and may not even play next year.

Also, Maxim Afinogenov might be a cheap reclamation project with a nice upside. And besides, if we don't he'll be reborn in Carolina and beat Martin Brodeur with a game 7 flip shot from center ice with 0.01 seconds left...then we'll all be sorry.

Koivu is the best center left so we damn well better get this thing done. I don't want to be left with Lang. Sundin and Sakic are not viable options and may not even play next year.

Also, Maxim Afinogenov might be a cheap reclamation project with a nice upside. And besides, if we don't he'll be reborn in Carolina and beat Martin Brodeur with a game 7 flip shot from center ice with 0.01 seconds left...then we'll all be sorry.

+1

I don't disagree here. Koivu would be great, but it's not possible to sign him for long term/decent $$$. I'd rather give him a big 1 year deal.

Koivu is searching for a 3 to 4 years contract and i think he will be asking for big $$$ so our chance to sign him

are not really good.

I think if he could get that he already would have signed that type of deal. I'm going to guess teams are willing to pay him well short term or get value for him long term but nobody has stepped up and offered to pay him well long term, which is probably what he hopes to eventually get.

For example, the Devils would probably be willing to overpay short term but won't even bother at any value level long term. So Koivu's agent will struggle working out a good long term deal if all the teams are in that same mindset on him but he could be able to really play teams off each other on the short term deals until he was way overpaid next season.

i can't see rags offering anything more than us at this point, they are out of cash, and anaheim is just anaheim, if he wants to go there we can't stop him. if he wants a shot at the cup he's gonna have to go to anaheim or devils.

This and the Rags might still want to try to get Kovalev back so they might not have offered as much.

I'm all for signing Koivu at this point. It's a bad year for GMs looking for centers and Cammaleri, Saku and Antropov were pretty much the only reasonable options for the top 2 lines.

I think Lou is making it too big of a drama about re-signing Martin next year. Paul will be getting 4.5M next year, so how much of a raise is he going to get? 1 milion probably. He won't get a six milion contract. So even with the cap probably going down the Devils need about 2-3 milion of cap space to sign Martin next year no problem. They don't need 9 milion of cap space to give a guy a milion of raise.

And Koivu signing with the Rangers is certainly a possibility. Don't be fooled. The Rags still have 16 milion of space (according to nhlnumbers.com at least), although they do have a lot of RFAs to re-sign. But it's Sather and you can't expect him to act reasonably, so knowing him he will offer Saku a five year deal averaging 6 milion a season. :rolleyes:;)