Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Row 2 of Pepsi porch last night, overlooking the bullpen. Might be the best seats in the place.

Haven't been up there in a year but they are great value seats.

Fun time at Citi today. The 9th inning was insane on both sides with the comedic amount of errors.

I dont understand whats wrong with Davis...cant catch up to 89 mph fastballs?

I'm not a professional coach by any measure, just merely a ball player, but the way Davis moves his hands up, down, and back again before swinging looks terrible to me. I would never swing that way, nor advise anyone else to (see David Wright for a great swing if you're looking at Mets). Maybe he can do it (he made it this far after all), and just needs to work out a small timing problem, but that pre-swing routine seems like putting yourself in a hole as a batter to me.

Davis has always had awkward swing mechanics. He quickened his load last season and it seemed to be paying off before getting hurt. He's just a mess right now though and it's more than just bad luck on balls in play.

Miguel Batista is making the spot start today. Still scratching my head to why he's on the roster. He can't fool anyone.

Bay is going to the DL after hurting himself on last night's diving catch and now Pelfrey's right elbow is barking. Pelfrey news stings more; he's actually looked okay so far this year and is throwing harder. A ligament tear hasn't been ruled out either; yikes.

Reliever Rob Carson is coming up for the Miami series and then he'll be replaced by a starter. That almost certainly means Chris Schwinden.

Edited by nmigliore

Bay going on the DL probably isn't the worst thing...Bay is a lost cause, and he won't be part of the Mets' contending future, whenever that comes.

Too bad for Pelf, in that he was off to a decent start, but by the end of the season he probably would've turned in a typical Pelf year. He's another guy that was iffy in the Mets' long-term plans.

Reyes off to a pretty crappy start so far...a .215 average, .278 OB%. He'll obviously improve, and will break out with a hot streak before long...no way he doesn't finish the season with at least a .280 average and .350 OB%, but he'll never hit like he did last season, which is the player the Marlins paid for...provided he stays healthy.

David's been terrific. Nice early-season story for sure.

For me, this season is about how long the Mets can stay above .500. So far, so good.

Emaus and Lewis are very solid depth signings. If he's healthy, Lewis could probably have positive value on a Major League roster right now while Emaus has a nice track record of hitting upper-minors pitching. The Mets have been forced to call on a lot of Buffalo's roster lately, so it's nice to see them bring in some players for not only Major League depth but for the sake of Buffalo as well.

Edited by nmigliore

Wow...a 46-pitch blown save by Heath Bell, complete with four walks! Ouch!

11-8...and Reyes is down to .205 and had one hit in the series...bootiful!

That was the best game of the season, just amazing. So hyped for the Devils now!!

I hope mojo is contagious!

When the Mets fell to 8-8, I thought they'd be 3 or 4 games under .500 within a few weeks...at least they're giving us reasons to care about them, and to hope just a little.

Mets spotted Schwinden with a 6-2 lead, gives it all back in the bottom half of the inning.

Already missing Mike Pelfrey. Sigh.

This 5th inning might be the worst inning I've ever seen.

C'mon nmig, you've been one of Pelfrey's harshest critics. No guarantee he would've done much better. And six errors pretty much guarantees a loss anyway...especially in that building. Nine unearned runs?! Yikes.

Mets spotted Schwinden with a 6-2 lead, gives it all back in the bottom half of the inning.

Already missing Mike Pelfrey. Sigh.

This 5th inning might be the worst inning I've ever seen.

God, glad I didn't see it then...still too much in hockey mode to pay much attention, but it's hard to imagine any inning being worse than that one in Dodger Stadium a couple years ago where Church missed touching third when he should have scored the lead run in extra innings, and the Mets made like three errors in the bottom half of that inning to lose it :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Mets are going to have to add some stronger rotation depth. You really can't afford to have someone like Jeremy Hefner as your next best option if Schwinden flops or someone else goes down. Familia and Harvey are obviously off limits. Chris Young is scheduled to begin his rehab assignment next week and should be ready by mid-May if everything goes right; that's better than nothing, but counting on him for anything is a fool's errand.

CR: Right, but Pelfrey is still better than a revolving door of replacement level 5th starters.

Edited by nmigliore

That was just insane. I can't believe we won. Unreal.

These gut punches brought me back to 2007 and 2008. :P Seriously, I'm still stunned they fought back after blowing it TWICE.

And then when it's all looking great in the 11th with 2 outs, Scutaro JUST misses a homerun to LF. Finally Coors Field plays nice to us.

Wow. The Devils game was upsetting but I'm glad the Mets fought back in this one when it looked like they were going to roll over and die after those 2 big gut punches to the bullpen.

Edited by nmigliore