Devils' Michael Ryder says teams were afraid to trade for him - fr

Colorado Rockies 1976

Can't say any of these quotes surprise me.  I would expect both of them to be frustrated and unhappy with their situations here.  That being said, Ryder played in all 82 games last season when many of us were growing frustrated with him and wondered what it would take for him to sit, and he got a lot of games this season before the consistent scratching began...not saying he was in an ideal situation here and that it's all on him, but the fact that he didn't get scratched once last season shows me the Devils were as fair with him as they could be with the roster they had.  As for Havlat...he should look in the mirror and realize that San Jose bought him out for a reason, and there's also a reason he was signed on for a bargain-level "show me" contact.  Don't blame him for being pissed either, but at the same time, he should probably come to grips with the fact that he doesn't have much left. 

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/03/devils_michael_ryder_says_teams_were_afraid_to_tra.html

From Ryder:

"Oh yeah. [Lou] knew that. It's hard to move a guy and get something for him when I've only played two games since the All-Star break. Other teams are probably wondering what's going on," Ryder said. "If they wanted to get something for me, it's tough.

"Hopefully somebody gives me a chance next year."

"It's pretty hard to move a guy when he hasn't played and other teams are wondering why you're not playing. It's kind of tough, I think, to move somebody that's not playing," Ryder repeated.

"You don't know what is going to happen at the trade deadline and what teams are looking and what people are trying to do. If I got moved, I got moved. I was hoping that something maybe would happen just so I would get an opportunity. I'm here now and I'm still a Devil with 19 games left, so I'll make the best of it."

"I don't know. I just want to play. There are 19 games left," Ryder said.

"I know I can still play and help a team and still score goals. It's frustrating when you don't get to play and show that. It's been frustrating overall."

And Havlat:

"Not much has changed. There's no reason to talk at all," Havlat said. "I never asked about being traded. We never talked about it. It was not in my hands.

"I'm just a player. That's all."

Man, not a good situation for either guy.  You have to know the other players see it too, and it can't sit well with many people.  As much as hockey is a business, either one of those guys could at least be playing over someone like Zubrus or Gionta.   It doesn't make sense to give up on them so quickly, considering we've had Ryder for a year and a half and Havlat not even a year.

Man, not a good situation for either guy.  You have to know the other players see it too, and it can't sit well with many people.  As much as hockey is a business, either one of those guys could at least be playing over someone like Zubrus or Gionta.   It doesn't make sense to give up on them so quickly, considering we've had Ryder for a year and a half and Havlat not even a year.

What exactly did either of them show though that entitled them to endless chances?  Havlat was on a "what the hell, why not?" deal...the low value of his deal alone pretty much guaranteed that he wasn't guaranteed endless chances to play. 

As for Ryder...like I said, guy played in a lot of games and didn't do much, and like Tri pointed out, if he's not scoring, you can only live with his deficiencies for so long.  Part of his being scratched probably had to with trying to hold underperforming players accountable.  It wouldn't surprise me if some players are wondering why that rule doesn't seem to apply to Zubrus.  But it's a good thing both Ryder and Havlat will be gone...regardless of the circumstances of how they got here, they're malcontents now and there's nothing positive about their relationship with the Devils. 

I was going to say the exact same thing. When your team's problem is goal-scoring and goal-scoring alone, it must be tough to have to sit in the press box watching these guys out there every night; Ryder, more than Havlat. I think Havlat was given a fair enough shake.

Ryder isn't being benched so some kid can seize the opportunity, prove himself, and get some experience. He's being benched for Zubrus, who may be even worse than Ryder this year and doesn't have a goal-scoring run in him, not to mention he was never trade-friendly, whether he begins to pot a few goals or not. At least we know what we get with Ryder; he might hit a run of 3 or 5 or 7 games where he gets some point streak going. I mean, we always knew that's what he brings to the table.

Edited by DJ Eco

As for Havlat...he should look in the mirror and realize that San Jose bought him out for a reason, and there's also a reason he was signed on for a bargain-level "show me" contact.  Don't blame him for being pissed either, but at the same time, he should probably come to grips with the fact that he doesn't have much left. 

And Havlat:

"Not much has changed. There's no reason to talk at all," Havlat said. "I never asked about being traded. We never talked about it. It was not in my hands.

"I'm just a player. That's all."

You seem to be trusting Chere's opinion when Havlat didn't say a word that suggests that "he should look in the mirror".

You seem to be trusting Chere's opinion when Havlat didn't say a word that suggests that "he should look in the mirror".

That's fair, on the surface Havlat didn't say anything particularly damning. 

I mean the issue with Ryder is that from the start he has never really taken any personable responsibility for his poor performance. It's alway someone else (ex: Lou) or the situation he is in (ex: playing less than 16 mins a night) that causes it. 

Look, in the end, Ryder has gotten more money over the past two years than most people will see in a lifetime. Similarly Havlat is getting paid a lot of money by anyone's standard to have played in the relatively small number of games that he has. It wasn't like an all world under 22 roster was nipping at their heels waiting to get their jobs. They got outplayed by better players on a pretty crappy team to begin with.

In the end, their ability to have been able to showcase themselves to other teams for their next deals ranks a little bit lower on my things I care about than whether I'll get chicken or steak on the next Taco Bell breakfast burrito I get in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryder is pure sniper. He needs an above average center to be able to perform. We don't have one of those. He also needs a system that's more wide open offensively. We don't have that.

Doesn't everybody want to be between a great playmaker. A goal scorer needs to be able to make something out of nothing.  It might help a guy like Boucher? 

another reason to be frustrated w/ LL, he should have been playing these guus every night until tradeline line to give the illusion he liked them so he could have gotten anything for them, 5th opr 6th would be better than nothing.. another LL failure

another reason to be frustrated w/ LL, he should have been playing these guus every night until tradeline line to give the illusion he liked them so he could have gotten anything for them, 5th opr 6th would be better than nothing.. another LL failure

Scouts and GM's watch the games. They know how terrible both players are. Playing them more wasn't going to make them less terrible.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Scouts and GM's watch the games. They know how terrible both players are. Playing them more wasn't going to make them less terrible.

So your saying there is NO chance, ZERO,  that Ryder could have had a 5 or 6 game streak where he scored a few goals, and maybe caught someones eye??  I'm not saying its definite, but its certainly possible.

And many of these scouts are just looking for good legs and good decisions, realizing the Devils are offensively inparied and might have had the opportuity to see something THAT THEY CANNOT SEE WHEN HE IS SITTING IN THE SUITE IN A SUIT!!!   Again LL FAILURE..

We need a NEW GM!!!

So your saying there is NO chance, ZERO,  that Ryder could have had a 5 or 6 game streak where he scored a few goals, and maybe caught someones eye??  I'm not saying its definite, but its certainly possible.

And many of these scouts are just looking for good legs and good decisions, realizing the Devils are offensively inparied and might have had the opportuity to see something THAT THEY CANNOT SEE WHEN HE IS SITTING IN THE SUITE IN A SUIT!!!   Again LL FAILURE..

We need a NEW GM!!!

Sitting in the suite is not the end-all to trading a player.  Zids was being scratched left and right when we traded quite a bit to obtain him from the Wild.  Fact is while I am still a little surprised no one took a chance on Ryder, both him and Havlat are pretty much garbage.

So your saying there is NO chance, ZERO, that Ryder could have had a 5 or 6 game streak where he scored a few goals, and maybe caught someones eye?? I'm not saying its definite, but its certainly possible.

And many of these scouts are just looking for good legs and good decisions, realizing the Devils are offensively inparied and might have had the opportuity to see something THAT THEY CANNOT SEE WHEN HE IS SITTING IN THE SUITE IN A SUIT!!! Again LL FAILURE..

We need a NEW GM!!!

What GM doesn't know what Ryder or Havlat bring at this point? More of Ryder not trying isn't going to change that. And no one signed Havlat in the off season. He was on a show-me contract and he showed he's done. Other GM's want to IMPROVE their team, not help the Devils

Yes but LL is suposed to being TRYING to help the Devils, sitting Ryder & Havlat did not help, probably hurt as we are now winning and getting farther from the #1 pick.

we ARE NOT making the playoffs.. we are 7 pts out and Boston has 2 games at hand!!  we would have to win every game and Boston and 3 other teasm would need to lose at least half..

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!

Yes but LL is suposed to being TRYING to help the Devils, sitting Ryder & Havlat did not help, probably hurt as we are now winning and getting farther from the #1 pick.

we ARE NOT making the playoffs.. we are 7 pts out and Boston has 2 games at hand!! we would have to win every game and Boston and 3 other teasm would need to lose at least half..

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!

Who said anything about making the playoffs? Lou can say that all he wants, but he traded Jagr and Zidlicky so he knows it's over.

we ARE NOT making the playoffs.. we are 7 pts out and Boston has 2 games at hand!!  we would have to win every game and Boston and 3 other teasm would need to lose at least half..

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!

Unless Havlat and Ryder started to score like crazy in the 10 games leading up to the deadline and Ryder decides to stop being a penalty machine I doubt playing them would have helped much if at all.  Even then there is no guarantee as well.

I can also imagine Lou possibly getting offered a 6th or 7th for Ryder.  At that point why should Lou even take it as that 6th or 7th pick has about a 99% chance of never seeing the light of day in the NHL? 

Unless Havlat and Ryder started to score like crazy in the 10 games leading up to the deadline and Ryder decides to stop being a penalty machine I doubt playing them would have helped much if at all.  Even then there is no guarantee as well.

I can also imagine Lou possibly getting offered a 6th or 7th for Ryder.  At that point why should Lou even take it as that 6th or 7th pick has about a 99% chance of never seeing the light of day in the NHL? 

At this point a future career AHLer in that late round pick is more benefical to the team than a scorer who has no role on the team....not to mention there's a shred of professional courtesy in letting the guy further his career....plus get the guy out the door if he's not of use to your team....that's assuming this even happened on Monday

At this point a future career AHLer in that late round pick is more benefical to the team than a scorer who has no role on the team....not to mention there's a shred of professional courtesy in letting the guy further his career....plus get the guy out the door if he's not of use to your team....that's assuming this even happened on Monday

Do 6th and 7th rounders even make it to the AHL?  I can imagine very few.

So your saying there is NO chance, ZERO, that Ryder could have had a 5 or 6 game streak where he scored a few goals, and maybe caught someones eye?? I'm not saying its definite, but its certainly possible.

And many of these scouts are just looking for good legs and good decisions, realizing the Devils are offensively inparied and might have had the opportuity to see something THAT THEY CANNOT SEE WHEN HE IS SITTING IN THE SUITE IN A SUIT!!! Again LL FAILURE..

We need a NEW GM!!!

Scouts aren't that gullible. They know the book on these guys already. Ryder is making excuses to help him feel better about things.

We need a NEW GM!!!

No, this would not have changed anything. If it would have, then Lou would have played him. This is just a waayyy over simplification of NHL scouting. 

Well said about courtesy. It's funny how we want our athletes to be open and honest, but the moment they say anything a little controversial, they get killed. It happened earlier this year when Elias said he didn't appreciate the booing, and Ryder is getting some hate (not much here) for really not even saying anything really interesting at all.

The bottom line is what's going on now is pretty brutal. Scratched for a month before the deadline. After the deadline scratched for Peter Harrold at forward, with Gionta and Zubrus on the 3rd line. Who knows when he's going to get back in the lineup or play with anyone better than Gionta. He's most likely concerned about his future. He knows he can still play. This stuff happens all the time in pro-sports. If there is no opportunity, try and make it work somewhere else.

Edited by devilsrule33