Second Annual Devils / St. Patrick's Day Newark Bar Crawl

DaneykoIsGod

simple fact:Dont jeopardise someone's bread and butter(thier liquor license) for your own jollies. Some of these bar owners put up thier life savings to make it in this world. If youre under 21 STAY OUT! nOBODY WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOUR PUNKASS anyway.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simple fact:Dont jeopardise someone's bread and butter(thier liquor license) for your own jollies. Some of these bar owners put up thier life savings to make it in this world. If youre under 21 STAY OUT! nOBODY WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOUR PUNKASS anyway.

Alright buddy :rolleyes: yeah you're right i'll just go and watch everyone else :koolaid:

in all fairness, if they don't ID him then it's just as much their fault as it is his. there are rules and regulations to abide by when you have a liquor license so if you don't card when you're supposed to, you subject yourself to tons of trouble.

Not my fault at all if they don't ID me, I feel.. If I walked into Pru Center for a game and they didn't check to see if I had a ticket would it be my fault? It's wrong, but who's fault is it that I got away with it?.. In any event, it's illegal we know so it's not a debate.. Let's drop it

:gd:

Edited by Colin226

Not my fault at all if they don't ID me, I feel..

it's not your fault they didn't ID you, but you're still doing something illegal and jeopardizing the bar by going in underage and attempting to purchase and consume alcohol. so yeah, both parties are still at fault. i'm not trying to get into some huge debate here -- you can do what you want obviously and i've just said from the start to be careful. as a lot of people know here, i got banned from the CAA over a stupid misunderstanding involving alcohol. i was of age, the people i was with weren't. i asked a girl to hold my beer for me while i peed and she ran off with it. looked like an exchange to security and they tagged me real quick. regardless of the misunderstanding, i was at fault for asking her to hold it for me. i should have known better. ah well -- not like i wasn't back at the arena the very next game (and every game after that) anyway ha.

Since this has devolved into an underage drinking thread ....

Dude, come to Albany. I can point you toward a few bars that have a reputation for not giving a crap... (Allegedly, that is.)

There was a bar by my college that was notorious for this too. They IDed at the door, but it was just for show. For instance, an underage white girl got in with an Indian guy's Rowan ID (which didn't even have a birthdate on it, just name and photo). As long as you handed them something, anything, they'd let you in. I think they got busted once or twice, but the extra money they made from selling to minors paid the fines and then some.

I think the place just got bulldozed for a campus expansion thingy. Damn shame. They had the greatest deal in the history of bars: Dollar-U-Call-It on Saturday nights. Beers, mixed drinks, shots ... everything was just $1. May it R.I.P.

there was this club is nanuet ny we used to go to. it was such an awful place, but it was great because they didn't give a sh!t about underage drinking. did the same thing -- IDed you at the door and gave you a wristband, then once you were in you could go right up to the bars and they didn't care if you were 12 or 21. i think it might have finally been shut down for good though, i know it had been a couple times. i just tried to go to the domain and it's a dead site so0o...

I have to admit it, if I owned one of those "look the other way"-type places I'd be a nervous wreck. All it takes is one accident, then the either the underage drinker or a friend of his (if the underage drinker actually dies) ratting out the bar that served him...man, the lawsuits...I can't imagine dealing with that. I'm not even talking about drunk driving accidents...as we know booze can lead to fights, and all it takes is for one guy to throw a punch, and the guy who gets hit to then slip on a spilled drink, crack his skull and die. Now imagine that something like that happens in your establishment, and one of the participants is underage and shouldn't have even been there in the first place?! Yikes.

Everyday you're open for business, you're rolling the dice on your future. I know there are people who do it, and maybe it's because they think it's the only way they can stay in business or remain profitable, but damn...

Yeah I know people who go to Fordham and they say the bars there serve anyone.. But down here at TCNJ they are super strict about checking.. Although I'm sure I could go to Camden or Philly and get served.. I guess cities are more lax

Wow banned from CAA for that? Harsh.. I've held beers for people before.. I guess she looked way to young

Yeah I know people who go to Fordham and they say the bars there serve anyone.. But down here at TCNJ they are super strict about checking.. Although I'm sure I could go to Camden or Philly and get served.. I guess cities are more lax

Wow banned from CAA for that? Harsh.. I've held beers for people before.. I guess she looked way to young

i know philly is somewhat of an exception (i'd assume the same for camden but i've never been to a bar there), but a lot of cities are super strict about IDing. you can't even try to get into a bar here in chicago if you don't have ID. granted, there are certain sections that will be a LITTLE more lax (as in any city i'm sure), but lots of neighborhoods will card. out of the entire city, i'd say wrigleville is the strictest -- right around the baseball field and surrounding areas is a lot of nightlife and sports bars (obviously), they don't mess around.

and yeah, i got banned lol. it was more because she ran away with the beer so it looked like i was handing it off to her. apparently she saw an old friend or something walk by and ran after to talk to them. we even had mug shots taken at the little arena jail section ha.

nice attitude 226. its wrong and i know it but i got away with it so i do it anyway and its not my fault. the youth of america gets better each day. i bet your parents are so proud of their underage drinking son who obviously cant tell wrong from right.

... says the one perfect law-abiding person in the country who never drank before turning 21, never drove five MPH over the speed limit, never rolled through a stop sign, never jaywalked ...

and yeah, i got banned lol. it was more because she ran away with the beer so it looked like i was handing it off to her. apparently she saw an old friend or something walk by and ran after to talk to them. we even had mug shots taken at the little arena jail section ha.

omg.. how long were you banned for? not that it matters now hahaha

uh...as far as i know, i'm still banned. they reviewed the case like two weeks after it happened and they decided i was a "danger" to the arena and its patrons, which is complete bullsh!t. the security obviously saw what they wanted to see and spun the story a certain way. yeah, sure, they'd listen to the patron's story over security's. lame. anyway, i appealed it but it was denied. i got another letter saying that if i was ever spotted back ANYWHERE in the meadowlands, i'd be arrested for trespassing. i went to every game for the rest of the season (was a sth) and about 80% of games the next season. they moved to newark after that, so i didn't feel it necessary to appeal the ban.

i bet there are hundreds or even thousands of people banned from the caa. there's no way they can keep track of every face as long as you don't make a big stink or stick out and do stupid things. i was mad when i got ejected, but i dealt with it accordingly and just laid low from there on out. now i don't have to worry about it anymore ha.

Edited by RD

... says the one perfect law-abiding person in the country who never drank before turning 21, never drove five MPH over the speed limit, never rolled through a stop sign, never jaywalked ...

You beat me to this post..

Hey DiG maybe to get this back on track you could post a little bio/review of each of the bars on the crawl.. Give people an idea of what each is like and what to expect

Edited by Colin226

uh...as far as i know, i'm still banned. they reviewed the case like two weeks after it happened and they decided i was a "danger" to the arena and its patrons, which is complete bullsh!t. the security obviously saw what they wanted to see and spun the story a certain way. yeah, sure, they'd listen to the patron's story over security's. lame. anyway, i appealed it but it was denied. i got another letter saying that if i was ever spotted back ANYWHERE in the meadowlands, i'd be arrested for trespassing. i went to every game for the rest of the season (was a sth) and about 80% of games the next season. they moved to newark after that, so i didn't feel it necessary to appeal the ban.

i bet there are hundreds or even thousands of people banned from the caa. there's no way they can keep track of every face as long as you don't make a big stink or stick out and do stupid things. i was mad when i got ejected, but i dealt with it accordingly and just laid low from there on out. now i don't have to worry about it anymore ha.

Yeah I've heard stories about Meadowlands security and they're never good stories.. Typical abuse of power and stupidity

You beat me to this post..

Hey DiG maybe to get this back on track you could post a little bio/review of each of the bars on the crawl.. Give people an idea of what each is like and what to expect

That is a damn fine idea. I believe QuadeConnolly has reviewed most of these places on his super-awesome blog, so for those who are so inclined, his opinion on these places is also available. But here's a view of these bars through my beer-tinted glasses:

Kilkenny Ale House: Not a bad little Irish place. Good atmosphere, very charming and any beer or booze you'd want that hails from the Emerald Isle. This place was an obvious St. Patty's Day destination for parade-goers.

Nick's Bar & Restaurant: When we went there last year, the place was empty (as you can tell from the pic in the first post of this thread, we took the place over). On St. Patty's Day last year, we got hooked up. One of the bartenders at Kilkenny knew the guy behind the bar at Nick's. One quick phone call later and we had a massive round of free shots waiting for us when we arrived. Good people.

McGovern's Tavern: I think most of the people who went on the crawl last year would say this was the best of the bars. I'll leave it at that.

60 Park: Another place that was empty when we arrived. It was also empty the one other time I went. It's pretty big and most of the walls were bare (I think the place was still relatively new at the time). But it's a good set-up with lots of promise. I hope they're doing better now than they seemed to be last year.

The Spot: This was my favorite Devils pregame bar last year. They have no draught beer because there's a parking garage under it so it's impossible to run keg lines, but the bottle selection is adequate. The people who work there make the place, though. Russell, the owner, is always mingling and his mother, who usually is working in the kitchen, will come out and give you a big hug if you take the time to introduce yourself around.

Scully's Publick House: This place rules. Before the people at The Spot welcomed me and my friends in like we were family, this was my pregame bar of preference.

Brick City Bar & Grill: I think most people have experienced and/or read other people's experiences about the place closest to the arena, so I won't bother.

As has been previously mentioned, last year the bars were doing their usual double-duty on St. Pat's. Combined with the fact that one of the best crowds ever was on hand for Marty's record, and it was a pretty wild scene. Scully's was packed to the brim so we never even went in last year. Instead of trying BCB&G, which we figured would be even more packed, we just went back to The Spot. But we'll play it by ear this year and plan on hitting all seven places, just like we originally planned on last year.

Which is absolutely hilarious considering it's the last two posts that have bought this whole discussion down to the level of teenagers, with the assumptions and name-calling. Well done.

Thank you.. Yeah seriously they discredit themselves by opening their mouths.. I have a TON of respect for guys like RD and CR who are established members making mature posts to prove a point.. Hell, I'd skip drinking on the crawl based solely on CR's opinion because I have a ton of respect for him.. But when I hear someone I've never seen post before come on and just name-call and make incorrect assumptions, well, you just can't respect it.. Yup, I pay for college and season tickets with my allowance hahaha.. Especially when I'm trying to help DiG get this back on track.. Very sorry DiG I'll take the hit on this one.. I owe you a shot and a mature thread ;)

Edited by Colin226