Matteau Matt..no

BigZ

Yea so what's this about?

Doesn't look like anything positive

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/devils-first-rounder-stefan-matteau-reportedly-quits-b-034759479.html

"A calculated risk Lou Lamoriello and the New Jersey Devils took at the 2012 draft is now trending in a bad direction and could backfire in a big way a year from now."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/devils-draft-pick-penalty-proving-145000562--nhl.html

Edited by BigZ

It wasn't a surprise he didn’t forfeit the pick last year.

It’s one of Lou’s old mantras that you use all the available time you have. If he doesn’t have to give up a pick until 2014, he won’t, if he doesn’t have to rush in and sign a player until the end of the season he won’t.

As for Matteau, he has already seen a decent amount of NHL ice time, and he looked good in his stint with the team.

It’s going to be the best part of a decade before we can judge whether the decisions Lou made were effective.

Just another thing Ranger fans try to bust on us about.

I thought he looked good too and surprised he didn't score at all.

I say the Devils trade him for a goalie if they can.

His style of play looks more fitting for a team in the western conference.

Another example of how Lou has been losing it the past few years

Not sure how this instance falls on Lou. You're making an 18 year old out to be a failure/bust already. He'll get some discipline here, he's still a kid.

You could've easily used Merrill's turbulent couple of college years as "another example of how Lou has been losing it"..... And look at how he's panning out (pretty damn good)...

Just another thing Ranger fans try to bust on us about.

I thought he looked good too and surprised he didn't score at all.

I say the Devils trade him for a goalie if they can.

His style of play looks more fitting for a team in the western conference.

He did score a goal. And his style of play looks perfect for us, especially if he bulks up even further (he's already pretty big, and is only 18) and gets more experience. Looking ahead, he could be a better version of Zubrus, which is a very underrated but crucial puzzle piece to our game.

Not sure how this instance falls on Lou. You're making an 18 year old out to be a failure/bust already. He'll get some discipline here, he's still a kid.

You could've easily used Merrill's turbulent couple of college years as "another example of how Lou has been losing it"..... And look at how he's panning out (pretty damn good)...

yeah came here to post this... who's sitting on Lou for Merrill ? 

i still think it was fvcking dumb of Lou not to forfeit that pick though. Lou did a lot of good in his time here but his way of doing thing may put us in a very bad position for awhile.

Not talking about Matteau being a bust, but for Lou not giving up that pick.

The whole "In Lou We Trust" is now nonsense.  He has been losing it for a few years now.

The whole "In Lou We Trust" is now nonsense.  He has been losing it for a few years now.

yeah im with you. I'll never deny what Lou has done for us and everything but it's not excusing him for ALL the bad selfish decisions he took just cause he wants to do things his oldschool way and never adjust

That's total hindsight. When they were scouting Matteau's draft class, the 2014 draft class is 13-15 years old. Lou's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 2013-2014 could've just as easily been a crap year for draft options. They weren't, so it's easy to blame it on Lou.

That's total hindsight. When they were scouting Matteau's draft class, the 2014 draft class is 13-15 years old. Lou's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 2013-2014 could've just as easily been a crap year for draft options. They weren't, so it's easy to blame it on Lou.

Yes but 29th pick as much far down the first round as you are going to get outside of winning the cup and going 30th.  Plus last year's draft was not impressive or deep by any means.  I would rather him have given it up than risking we sh!t the bed next year and end up with a top 5 pick that was to be forfeited.  I know its a gamble either way but at least go with what you do know instead of worrying what may or may be in a couple years when you have to forfeit it.

Lou didn't need a crystal ball to see that we were pick 29th last year.