What is wrong with Elias?

Mike Brown

No the logical thing to do is not letting you're players in their prime walk for nothing. That's the really realistic thing to do which is what 97% of the GMs around the league is doing.

Eh, we lost 2 guys. Kovalchuk was fluky. Parise was somewhat predictable, but we had a chance to keep him, and trading him costs us the cup run. We got beat on both players, but I still don't see a better alternative. The pressure is on to draft better moving forward, which, based on the young d looks like it might be happening. Hopefully Boucher and Matteau pan out.

Edited by mouse

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think Elias will turn his game around. His skillset doesn't deteriorate with age. What made him so good over the years was his smarts, hockey sense, and hands. He had great speed in his early years, but he never had to rely on it. He still has his hands and hockey sense. He probably always will until he stops playing.

True true true. When i saw him play in ottawa this year we thought he played really well. Im sure in january this thread will be garbage.

Eh, we lost 2 guys. Kovalchuk was fluky. Parise was somewhat predictable, but we had a chance to keep him, and trading him costs us the cup run. We got beat on both players, but I still don't see a better alternative. The pressure is on to draft better moving forward, which, based on the young d looks like it might be happening. Hopefully Boucher and Matteau pan out.

Is semin an alternative? I know the guy has been blame in his career but if se can land him in a deal for around 5.5m or 6m... I would thought about it. He would bring speed, skill to our lineup. We could have him play with zajac and jagr ;) . I dońt hate the idea even if im not sell on semin. It highly uńikely that lou would have interest in him...

No the logical thing to do is not letting you're players in their prime walk for nothing. That's the really realistic thing to do which is what 97% of the GMs around the league is doing.

What player have we lost for nothing outside of Parise? Are you telling me you are going to trade Parise in 2012 when we were one of the hottest teams in the 2nd half?

I'm tired of these mooks masquerading as GMs. You know Lou's philosophy if you don't like it root for another team, or better yet get an MBA, and become a GM of a franchise. 75% of this board does not understand hockey, and probably cannot even skate.

Lou has had faults lately, but he has rebuilt the team from the net out THROUGH THE DRAFT, which apparently he is incapable of doing. If you think we are going to have all of these defenseman 2 years from now you are lost. Lou will make trades, draft well, and sign free agents that address the Devils deficiencies at forward. Look at the 1995 that roster that won the cup tell me how many forwards were drafted by the Devils. The cupboard is being restocked have patience. 

We basically gambled and lost. Instead of releasing Sal we released Volch and we let Fayne walk.

Volch made more money for more years. It was the right choice. Now you have one year of Sal and then it's done and the board will pick a new whippong boy.

Didn't everyone want the kids to get a chance?? That's why they let Fayne walk

Didn't everyone want the kids to get a chance?? That's why they let Fayne walk

I think, in an ideal world, you buyout Volch, let Zidlicky walk and keep Fayne around as the veteran presence. Salvador retires after this season, and you're looking at a young defense with some youngish core players in Greene and Fayne to lead the way.

Lou's vision was obviously different than this. I personally don't think Zidlicky's supposed offense is worth the defensive gaffs you know he's going to provide, but that's for another thread.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think, in an ideal world, you buyout Volch, let Zidlicky walk and keep Fayne around as the veteran presence. Salvador retires after this season, and you're looking at a young defense with some youngish core players in Greene and Fayne to lead the way.

Lou's vision was obviously different than this. I personally don't think Zidlicky's supposed offense is worth the defensive gaffs you know he's going to provide, but that's for another thread.

I would say that it was at least 3 years that this board jumped up and down for a Puck Moving Defenseman.  'Get a PMD!'  'PMD!!! Lou where is our PMD?!  They need a PMD!'  Now the Devils have one who is willing to take 1 year deals and who has the 3rd best points-per-game ratio for an NJ D since 1996 it's like 'Nah, I'll pass, we need someone with no offense'.

Now that Severson looks like a really solid PP QB things are looking good in that department for the future - I'd be shocked if Zidlicky is back next year - but Gelinas is still a trainwreck, much more of a trainwreck than anything Zidlicky does. But it's like that's not happening on this board.  If Gelinas keeps playing like this he cannot be a regular defenseman for this team.

Edited by Triumph

We gotta sort out the PK like asap. That is the number one problem we have on this team. I think if we can improve on that we can begin to be competitive in game.

It looked to me like they scrapped the new PK system at the end of the last game. The new system was horrific so if it's gone for good the PK will drastically improve.

I read somewhere that Mike Foligno is the current PK coach whereas Dave Barr coached the PK the previous two years. I think we begin to work on the PK by giving it back to Dave Barr.

It's no sure thing but they went back to how to the old way forwards used to approach the PK at the end of last game. The new way for the forwards was stupid, I hope to never see it again.