What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

Semin is a solid 2-way player. His issue is that he takes too many penalties, but other than that, he's a slick defender.

This is true. People buy into the narrative the media has created about him being a lousy 2-way player, but Semin is a much better two-way guy than Kovy was when he got here. I would be happy with Semin if the money was right. But I'm sure someone will offer him more than us, and he'll go to the highest bidder.

This is true. People buy into the narrative the media has created about him being a lousy 2-way player, but Semin is a much better two-way guy than Kovy was when he got here. I would be happy with Semin if the money was right. But I'm sure someone will offer him more than us, and he'll go to the highest bidder.

Everyone keeps saying "if the money is right", but I haven't seen one figure thrown out there yet. I'm seriously asking....what would people consider "right money" for Semin?

Everyone keeps saying "if the money is right", but I haven't seen one figure thrown out there yet. I'm seriously asking....what would people consider "right money" for Semin?

Id go 5 years with the cap hit not exceeding 6.5, anything more than that would be overkill. I don't think he's worth more than 5-6 right now, but we're going to have to pay a bit more to get him.

Ok, I'll bite- how about 4 for 24? Sounds reasonable to me. He'll get more though.

I see no reason to rush into replacing Parise with another big name. Even with the loss of Parise, I think we're still in better shape going into this season than we were last year. Zajac missed most of last season and we had no idea what to expect from Henrique. At this point, those two fill our top two center spots nicely and Elias can slide back to LW and provide as many points as Parise did. Additionally, I think the playoffs may have opened Lou and DeBeor's eyes on how valuble icing a real 4th line can be.

It does bother me that Lou let Ponikarovsky get away though. At 1.8 for 1 year, why was he not signed? Did Poni give any indication that he wasn't happy with his role here? I know a lot of people said he had to wait until the Zach situation was settled but considering we signed 3 aging vets to multi year contracts before Parise bolted, that's BS. IMO it would have made a lot more sense to get Poni resigned and let Moose wait until the other situations cleared up. Oh well, hopefully Lou can pull off a similar depth move again this season.

I'm really not big on another year of Sykora, especially if the price tag goes up. He'll put up some goals but you pretty much know he'll be burned out by the time the playoffs role around.

I see no reason to rush into replacing Parise with another big name. Even with the loss of Parise, I think we're still in better shape going into this season than we were last year. Zajac missed most of last season and we had no idea what to expect from Henrique. At this point, those two fill our top two center spots nicely and Elias can slide back to LW and provide as many points as Parise did. Additionally, I think the playoffs may have opened Lou and DeBeor's eyes on how valuble icing a real 4th line can be.

It does bother me that Lou let Ponikarovsky get away though. At 1.8 for 1 year, why was he not signed? Did Poni give any indication that he wasn't happy with his role here? I know a lot of people said he had to wait until the Zach situation was settled but considering we signed 3 aging vets to multi year contracts before Parise bolted, that's BS. IMO it would have made a lot more sense to get Poni resigned and let Moose wait until the other situations cleared up. Oh well, hopefully Lou can pull off a similar depth move again this season.

I'm really not big on another year of Sykora, especially if the price tag goes up. He'll put up some goals but you pretty much know he'll be burned out by the time the playoffs role around.

Yeah, Sykora, along with Tedenby, are not decent options.

Yeah, Sykora, along with Tedenby, are not decent options.

They're not, but its not a guaranteed bad season if that is what we go into the start of the season with. Johnny Mac is not the coach and we had an excellent 2nd half the year Zach was injured + we have Henrique now. If we don't get Semin, there's not a whole lot out there UFA wise that will help us that we have a legit shot at getting. There are a few names we could essentially target, but they're few and far between.

Its a seller's market trade wise right now considering how many teams are trying that. If the Flyers, Wings, Rags, Buffalo, and Carolina and whoever else lose out on Nash/Ryan, then they're going to be fighting over the next names that may be trade bait. Its more prudent to go into the season with Sykora/Tedenby than sign some UFA trash or make a trade now and pay a lot more than we would have to at the deadline. Sykora is old, but if he can play well the first half and then we can make a trade to improve the team at the deadline, we'll be okay. Tedenby is a wash right now. I think he's Bergfors 2.0, so at the very least playing him will hopefully get some team to bite and give him a chance another place.

Im not going to be surprised at all if we sign Sykora and that's it for us before the season begins.

Kris Versteeg is a RFA Right winger. I doubt we'd make a move for him, but I wouldn't mind having him on the team. Just a thought.

I like this idea a lot. He's a little younger and gets some more speed back into our lineup. Of course, what would it take to get him? I'm sure Florida isn't looking for defensive prospects given their young blueline.

Kris Versteeg is a RFA Right winger. I doubt we'd make a move for him, but I wouldn't mind having him on the team. Just a thought.

Offer sheets to RFAs are a waste of time, and even worse when they are successful.

Alex Semin. 3 yrs $20 mill. Get it done Lou.

Offer sheets to RFAs are a waste of time, and even worse when they are successful.

Alex Semin. 3 yrs $20 mill. Get it done Lou.

Semin's getting more than twice that in years and money. You guys are going to be amazed...with all the teams in on Parise you think half of them aren't going to be overpaying for Semin? Unless there's more xenophobia in NHL front offices than I think.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Semin is by far the best option available. Personally I think he's a better match for Kovys line then Parise anyway..

Semin for 7M x6 years.

I was thinking more the other way around 7 years, 6 million per (7-42)...not what I'd pay for him, just more in terms of what he's getting. He's not going to get a 7+ cap hit when Zach got 7.5 but he's getting big money, if not here in the KHL.

Freaking P.A.Parenteau got 4-16, GM's have money and cap space to burn.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Semin's getting more than twice that in years and money. You guys are going to be amazed...with all the teams in on Parise you think half of them aren't going to be overpaying for Semin? Unless there's more xenophobia in NHL front offices than I think.

Yeah, someone will overpay, no doubt. Be it Pittsburgh or Detroit (I think it's one of the two), somoene will overpay.

There's a lot of group think among NHL GMs. So if the word is Semin is a cancer, a lot of teams will take it at face value without context. People thought the same thing about Kovy and somehow think Ovechkin is lazy.

But you're right I'm probably being over optimistic