2003 Conn Smythe

Devils Pride 26

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that Giggy was most deserving of the Conn Symthe?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If not, who do you think should have won it?

• Brodeur
    • Nieds
    • Stevens
    • Friesen
    • Langenbrunner
    • Madden

Asking on this forum if Giggy deserved the Conn Smythe is somewhat silly.

To me, when I think back to the '03 cup; I think of the last series where Brodeur posted 3 SOs... and the amount of pressure we had in the 7 game series against the Presidents trophy winner in Ottawa. Bruins/Lightning were not that significant. I remember who we played; but not really much about the games.

It was Brodeurs trophy all the way.

All the talk about prior moves got me thinking. What a team effort 2003 was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Stanley_Cup_playoffs scroll down to the bottom to find the stats.

I'm most impressed by Madden, scoring 16 points, being +10 and only taking one minor penalty being a shutdown guy. What a playoffs for him. Friesen was super clutch too. Nieds and Langs with almost identical stats.

Giggy's overall stat line looks better than Marty but I don't know how three Stanley Cup shutouts could ever be overlooked.

Playoff Stats

Giggy:

http://www.hockey-re...s/MDA/2003.html

Jean-Sebastien Giguere - 21 GP, 15 W, 697 SOG , 659 SV, .945 SV%, 1.62 GAA, 5 Shutouts, 1407 MIN

Brodeur

http://www.hockey-re...s/NJD/2003.html

Martin Brodeur - 24 GP, 16 W, 622 SOG, 581 SV, .934 SV%, 1.65 GAA, 7 Shutouts, 1491 MIN

I have to go with Giguere. He faced 12% more shots and had a better save % in 3 fewer games. He had only two less shut outs so that 7 shut out number doesn't jump out as much for Brodeur. Giggy was the story of that playoffs unfortunately for Marty who had a great postseason too.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

All the talk about prior moves got me thinking. What a team effort 2003 was. http://en.wikipedia....ey_Cup_playoffs scroll down to the bottom to find the stats.

I'm most impressed by Madden, scoring 16 points, being +10 and only taking one minor penalty being a shutdown guy. What a playoffs for him. Friesen was super clutch too. Nieds and Langs with almost identical stats.

Giggy's overall stat line looks better than Marty but I don't know how three Stanley Cup shutouts could ever be overlooked.

Including a shut out in Game 7 of the finals. That's such a high-pressured situation.

Playoff Stats

Giggy:

http://www.hockey-re...s/MDA/2003.html

Jean-Sebastien Giguere - 21 GP, 15 W, 697 SOG , 659 SV, .945 SV%, 1.62 GAA, 5 Shutouts, 1407 MIN

Brodeur

http://www.hockey-re...s/NJD/2003.html

Martin Brodeur - 24 GP, 16 W, 622 SOG, 581 SV, .934 SV%, 1.65 GAA, 7 Shutouts, 1491 MIN

I have to go with Giguere. He faced 12% more shots and had a better save % in 3 fewer games. He had only two less shut outs so that 7 shut out number doesn't jump out as much for Brodeur. Giggy was the story of that playoffs unfortunately for Marty who had a great postseason too.

All well and good except, when it mattered most, Brodeur was the better goalie. Giggy let in a few soft goals in Game 7, and Marty stonewalled the Ducks. Marty had 3 shutouts and lost game 4 by a score of 1-0 in overtime. You can't get much better goaltending than we had in that series.

If the Ducks won, I would agree with Giggy as the pick. But since the Devils won, Marty deserved the award and was robbed. It was fun booing the hell out of the announcment of the Conn Smythe winner that night though. I know I wasn't booing Giguere, he played great...I was booing whoever it was that voted for him for the award. IMO, this was one of the worst examples of the lack of respect around this league for the Devils organization and its accomplishments over the past 20 years.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Every time this debate comes up, I feel the need to recall that Tom Gulitti said his 2003 Conn Smythe vote went to Niedermayer.

Marty was great, but so was Nieds (and guys like Friesen and Langenbrunner came up clutch too). They split the vote. Meanwhile, Giggy was really all Anaheim had. Do I think he should've won it? No. But can I understand why he did? Yes.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

All well and good except, when it mattered most, Brodeur was the better goalie. Giggy let in a few soft goals in Game 7, and Marty stonewalled the Ducks. Marty had 3 shutouts and lost game 4 by a score of 1-0 in overtime. You can't get much better goaltending than we had in that series.

If the Ducks won, I would agree with Giggy as the pick. But since the Devils won, Marty deserved the award and was robbed. It was fun booing the hell out of the announcment of the Conn Smythe winner that night though. I know I wasn't booing Giguere, he played great...I was booing whoever it was that voted for him for the award. IMO, this was one of the worst examples of the lack of respect around this league for the Devils organization and its accomplishments over the past 20 years.

That 1-0 OT loss in Game 4 effectively means Mar-tin pitched four regulation shutouts in that Finals. That's quite an accomplishment that a lot of people always seem to overlook.

Every time this debate comes up, I feel the need to recall that Tom Gulitti said his 2003 Conn Smythe vote went to Niedermayer.

Marty was great, but so was Nieds (and guys like Friesen and Langenbrunner came up clutch too). They split the vote. Meanwhile, Giggy was really all Anaheim had. Do I think he should've won it? No. But can I understand why he did? Yes.

I think so many people defer to Broduer right away (as do I) because it's so easy to compare Broduer to Giggy in terms of who was more valuable.

For my money, I will never understand how anyone can be the "most valuable person to a losing team" in the playoffs. It doesn't say "most outstanding player" although maybe thats the intent? When I see "most valuable player" to me that implies which player brought their team the most value, and at the end of the day I feel like it has to be a player on the winning team, they did "the most valuable" thing.

I think so many people defer to Broduer right away (as do I) because it's so easy to compare Broduer to Giggy in terms of who was more valuable.

For my money, I will never understand how anyone can be the "most valuable person to a losing team" in the playoffs. It doesn't say "most outstanding player" although maybe thats the intent? When I see "most valuable player" to me that implies which player brought their team the most value, and at the end of the day I feel like it has to be a player on the winning team, they did "the most valuable" thing.

Yeah, but I think giving it to someone on the losing team is appropriate if the person it's awarded to was the real catalyst for getting his team as far as it did. I think it should be awarded to the most valuable player or the one who pushed his team further than any other single player.

That being said, I don't remember 95 that well...sigh... I was only 5 at the time, but because of this, the 2000 and 2003 cups are burned into my mind. I will never forget Giguere crying after losing. Giguere was good, real good, but Marty had 3 SO in the finals, that's too much to overlook for me. Head to head, Marty beat Giguere that series and I think that should have been the reason he got the Conn Smythe over Giguere, but oh well, at least Giguere got to go home with something and that guy still had to marry his, probably furious, girlfriend after promising on national tv to marry her if the Ducks won.

Its funny that if you look back the palyers who have won it, and been on the losing side only one of them has not been a goaltender.

Its only happened 5 times, and 4 of those times a goaltender from the opposing defeated team has won.

I guess if a strong all round team (such as the Devils) runs into an average team with a fantastic net minder it makes the decision to give it to the losing team easier. I mean for starters the Goaltender is going to stand out more if his team is giving him more work.

That being said i still voted for Marty.....

All Giguere did was stand there and let the puck hit him. Aside from the lockouts, those playoffs were the lowest points in NHL history regarding quality of play. Giguere took up 90% of the net. Sure Brodeur had a great trapping defense to rely on too...but at least he had too move a little bit from time to time

All Giguere did was stand there and let the puck hit him. Aside from the lockouts, those playoffs were the lowest points in NHL history regarding quality of play. Giguere took up 90% of the net. Sure Brodeur had a great trapping defense to rely on too...but at least he had too move a little bit from time to time

Do you remember that breakaway that we had in the Finals. I think it was Elias who just roofed it on Giguere and he never even flinched. He seemed surprised that the puck didn't just hit him because he was in position.