Viewing party at the Prudential Center for Game 7

NJDevs4978

Well it's a small place and the let all of the after work happy hour crowd in so half the tables had people in suits trying to carry conversations and they were not watching the game.. Ok fine

So we put our name down 45 minutes before puck drop.. Halfway through the game we realize that people are just jumping on tables as they open up and the bar isn't using their list.. So we had to sit outside on a chilly night and look through windows and people to catch glimpses of the game

Then they advertise $5 Jamison shots after the win, so next time my waitress comes by I go to town with my buddies.. Bill comes and we got charged $7 per shot.. I argue and the waitress goes "oh that expired by the time you ordered".. Well yeah it took you 20 minutes to come back to our table, what was I supposed to do

And I'll add that the reason they keep getting parties is cause a higher up with the team, or maybe its a player, is related to the owner so he keeps demanding that he get the prime viewing parties.. These parties are a service to good, local NJ bars, not some money-making birthright you deserve because you know someone with some pull on the inside

Wow that is pretty terrible. While most of my issues with the viewing parties are kinda minor, the one big issue with a lot of the viewing parties are the bars are looking at these as some sort of afterthought. They advertise it as some big event for Devils fans and when you get there, you are instead greeted with either a pretty small reserved section or no reserved section at all for the viewing party and competing with the happy hour/regulars customers. Happened at Miami Mike's and at Blackthorn and it sounds like it happened at Texas-Arizona and that one in Bergan County.

Well it's a small place and the let all of the after work happy hour crowd in so half the tables had people in suits trying to carry conversations and they were not watching the game.. Ok fine

So we put our name down 45 minutes before puck drop.. Halfway through the game we realize that people are just jumping on tables as they open up and the bar isn't using their list.. So we had to sit outside on a chilly night and look through windows and people to catch glimpses of the game

Then they advertise $5 Jamison shots after the win, so next time my waitress comes by I go to town with my buddies.. Bill comes and we got charged $7 per shot.. I argue and the waitress goes "oh that expired by the time you ordered".. Well yeah it took you 20 minutes to come back to our table, what was I supposed to do

And I'll add that the reason they keep getting parties is cause a higher up with the team, or maybe its a player, is related to the owner so he keeps demanding that he get the prime viewing parties.. These parties are a service to good, local NJ bars, not some money-making birthright you deserve because you know someone with some pull on the inside

I think it's maybe because I work in Manhattan and pretty much hang out in Manhattan 99% of the time, but I'm so used to this stuff unfortunately. Can't really go out in Manhattan and pay less than $10 for Jameson or $7-8 for drafts. And the suits, oh the suits are everywhere.

So for me, somewhere that's showing the Devils game on more than one TV and possibly with the sound on, it's a rare treat. It's right near the PATH, an absolute dream to get to, and the fact that there will be people in Devils jerseys is the deal maker. I think most of the people working in the city that would end up attending this place would agree.

There's always a tavern somewhere in Kearny or Secaucus that could be more fun and probably has $2 drafts and better service, but we can't really make the trip. So Texas Arizona's fine by me.

Two weeks ago, I went to the Flying Puck, right near MSG, to watch Game 1. I really had no other options at the time, having just gotten out of work late. It's a "Rangers bar" and a lot of fans go there to watch the Rangers games. Luckily, there were a good 20 Devils fans in their Devils gear that took the place over. We had some drinks, bought each other shots. I think it ended up being at least $60 per person at the end of the game.

Unfortunately, that's the grim reality of our local area, especially its proximity to Manhattan and all the wealthy neighborhoods and business districts within it. Unfortunately we have to trade some things like cost and service for convenience and public transportation, etc... That's fine by me, because I REALLY don't want to watch this game in NYC and be down $150 on a ridiculous bill at the end of the night. Texas Arizona it is for me unless some other Hoboken bar writes on Twitter that they'll be putting it on the projector with the sound on, then I'm there!

Edited by DJ Eco

I want to make it clear that I wasn't standing and blocking people's view, I stood cause the security was blocking my veil of he ice

That entire situation sucks. You should write to JVB and explain the situation. If nothing else, you might get an apology from the team, although it won't make up for missing Zajac's goal and being put on the banned list.

While it must kill you to have to apologize for something that was not your fault, I would probably eat my pride and write the apology as well if I was in your shoes.

I think it's maybe because I work in Manhattan and pretty much hang out in Manhattan 99% of the time, but I'm so used to this stuff unfortunately. Can't really go out in Manhattan and pay less than $10 for Jameson or $7-8 for drafts. And the suits, oh the suits are everywhere.

So for me, somewhere that's showing the Devils game on more than one TV and possibly with the sound on, it's a rare treat. It's right near the PATH, an absolute dream to get to, and the fact that there will be people in Devils jerseys is the deal maker. I think most of the people working in the city that would end up attending this place would agree.

There's always a tavern somewhere in Kearny or Secaucus that could be more fun and probably has $2 drafts and better service, but we can't really make the trip. So Texas Arizona's fine by me.

Two weeks ago, I went to the Flying Puck, right near MSG, to watch Game 1. I really had no other options at the time, having just gotten out of work late. It's a "Rangers bar" and a lot of fans go there to watch the Rangers games. Luckily, there were a good 20 Devils fans in their Devils gear that took the place over. We had some drinks, bought each other shots. I think it ended up being at least $60 per person at the end of the game.

Unfortunately, that's the grim reality of our local area, especially its proximity to Manhattan and all the wealthy neighborhoods and business districts within it. Unfortunately we have to trade some things like cost and service for convenience and public transportation, etc... That's fine by me, because I REALLY don't want to watch this game in NYC and be down $150 on a ridiculous bill at the end of the night. Texas Arizona it is for me unless some other Hoboken bar writes on Twitter that they'll be putting it on the projector with the sound on, then I'm there!

I haven't been to any of these viewing parties, but I used to live in Hoboken and when we wanted to watch a big sporting event at a bar, we used to go to Black Bear on Washington St. (3 blocks from the PATH). Went there a couple of times in the early 2000's and they used to show the Devils on the big projector with the sound on. Plus, they used to reserve the 2nd floor for large parties on occasion. It seems to me like that would be a better place than TX-AZ for a viewing party, but it seems like TX-AZ has some sort of "in" with the team as someone said earlier.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

And I'll add that the reason they keep getting parties is cause a higher up with the team, or maybe its a player, is related to the owner so he keeps demanding that he get the prime viewing parties.

Yea, Marty's best man or something is the owner.

I haven't been to any of these viewing parties, but I used to live in Hoboken and when we wanted to watch a big sporting event at a bar, we used to go to Black Bear on Washington St. (3 blocks from the PATH). Went there a couple of times in the early 2000's and they used to show the Devils on the big projector with the sound on. Plus, they used to reserve the 2nd floor for large parties on occasion. It seems to me like that would be a better place than TX-AZ for a viewing party, but it seems like TX-AZ has some sort of "in" with the team as someone said earlier.

Black Bear had the Rangers game on the big screen on Saturday when they were head to head. I went to Texas Arizona on Saturday and had a good time. There were a bunch of Devils fans, the game was on most of the TVs, the sound was turned up high, the sampler platter was awesome for $20 ($10 off) and the service was awesome for the most part. Only reason why I would be hesitant to go back is the loss.

Black Bear had the Rangers game on the big screen on Saturday when they were head to head. I went to Texas Arizona on Saturday and had a good time. There were a bunch of Devils fans, the game was on most of the TVs, the sound was turned up high, the sampler platter was awesome for $20 ($10 off) and the service was awesome for the most part. Only reason why I would be hesitant to go back is the loss.

That is lame.

Black Bear is a Rangers-heavy bar. There's been viewing parties there, but nothing in the last two years.

Hoboken Bar & Grill is owned by a Devils season ticket holder who used to own a bar in West Caldwell, I believe, and is/was friendly with members of the organization. They're a more Devils-friendly bar than Black Bear is for sure.

That's what they said on TV...I would have had to leave at some point if I had gone cause I wasn't staying 'there' till this late, then driving home lol, but boy it would have been nice to be there at that moment.

2000+ is impressive on not even two days' notice considering this is still relatively new, imagine if they'd had this game at a decent hour?

there was only like 30 or so people there until 7:45, they mentioned it during the game and everyone went crazy lol

and the place went absolutely BONKERS when we scored, complete with goal horn

and kevin clark.

Although he did stifle himself more tonight (obviously). He kept everything short and sweet, only popping in rarely to announce NJ and make goal announcements.

But of course, as I was sitting there during a 2nd period TV-time out, what do i hear but:

"HEEEEEEEY DEVILS FANS! GET ON YOUR FEET, WAVE THOSE TOWELS, AND MAKE SOME NOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIISEEEEE!"

once overtime came around the place was dead silent, the only sounds were the pieces of skin being bitten off everyones fingers.

food was cheap as sh!t too (save for beer)

overall a pretty awesome night.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

As much as I dislike his restaurant, I cannot call him a dumb man. Miami Mike's had an NFL/Rangers/Devils viewing party last night and pictures are up on facebook with him in a Rags jersey.

lol what a salesman.

miami mike doesnt hide it but his business connections with the former owner/manager of sports express he tends to go along with the devils flow. personally it annoys me but this is also a guy thats owns a bar that caters to dolphins fans 4 miles or so from where the jets are hq'd.

Yeah that's the real reason I don't like Miami Mike's all that much, it's too Dolphin-centric for a Jets fan, but two friends of mine always go there and until recently they had the only viewing parties in the area. I did shy away from going there Games 5 and 7 cause I knew Ranger games were on as well so I figured the bar would be split.

I'd definitely go to the Rock for any future ones except for Game 2 which I'll be busy during.

miami mike doesnt hide it but his business connections with the former owner/manager of sports express he tends to go along with the devils flow. personally it annoys me but this is also a guy thats owns a bar that caters to dolphins fans 4 miles or so from where the jets are hq'd.

Elsewhere on the board we have posts from people who would like a Devils bar in Manhattan... you know, where the Rangers are "hq'd". The juxtaposition is astounding.

Elsewhere on the board we have posts from people who would like a Devils bar in Manhattan... you know, where the Rangers are "hq'd". The juxtaposition is astounding.

yeah, its astounding that fans rooting for a team in the same media market and would like to spread their fanbase in a place where another team they compete against is.

that's really the same thing as having a bar catering to a team 1,000 miles away to one 4 miles away isn't it?

• Like 1

Not really, a lot of Devil fans do work in Manhattan. I seriously doubt there's a big Miami Dolphin fanbase here, though ironically we have a few of their fans that post on this board including MadDog.

I agree it doesn't make much sense to have one there when there are plenty of places in New Jersey and we're trying to market ourselves as Jersey's team, but it's not like the bars 'here' don't get overrun with Ranger fans anyway.

Yeah, I don't really see a problem with the location of the bar lol. Too bad Miami Mike is a Ranger fan, but at least he got half of it right I guess. :P

Not really, a lot of Devil fans do work in Manhattan. I seriously doubt there's a big Miami Dolphin fanbase here, though ironically we have a few of their fans that post on this board including MadDog.

I agree it doesn't make much sense to have one there when there are plenty of places in New Jersey and we're trying to market ourselves as Jersey's team, but it's not like the bars 'here' don't get overrun with Ranger fans anyway.

To the contrary, there's actually a very sizeable number of Dolphins fans around here. We're probably less noticable than in previous years because the team has sucked for pretty much the last 10 years. If you go a Fins-Jets game up here, there's always a good amount of Fins fans there.

I had a great time at the game 1 viewing. free food and a chance to watch the game with 200+ fans in the acela bar. Watching at home it nice and cheap but watching with other fans at the rock you can't beat it!!! IT would be really cool if they could get a huge crowd at the rock away games!! i live in PA and repping the devils population here, anyone going to a game in phili even though it will probably be more expensive than up at the rock? Also can't have a bunch of phailadelphians at the rock for game 3 and 4.