Brodeur would be the Canadiens backup.

mfitz804

Pretty much agree with DD56's take...people who don't like Marty are going to look for the most negative interpretation of anything he says and jump on it accordingly. Kinda sad that a former great is in "Pick me! Pick me!" mode, but clearly the guy wants to play somewhere.

Doesn't matter what he says or doesn't say. He put himself in a position which is way below his standards. He should have ended his career in a more deserving fashion because he was one of the greatest goalies of all time. It sucks to see it play out like all of this. Please retire, I think that would be best.

Lets be real, if Marty wanted to come back as a backup initially then Lou would've offered him a 1-yr deal.

Agreed. I don't think they signed Clemmensen until after it was established that Marty wasn't interested in the job. If he had been, he'd have been signed instead. It may be that Lou had the conversation and at the time, Marty wasn't interested in such a position, so they moved on. Now, he may be seeing that he can't get a starting job so if he wants to play, now he would have to take a backup role. Of course, he hasn't signed a deal as a backup anywhere else, so retirement may be imminent.

There is no doubt in my mind that had Marty been interested, he would have been offered a one year deal to be a backup.

Agreed. I don't think they signed Clemmensen until after it was established that Marty wasn't interested in the job. If he had been, he'd have been signed instead. It may be that Lou had the conversation and at the time, Marty wasn't interested in such a position, so they moved on. Now, he may be seeing that he can't get a starting job so if he wants to play, now he would have to take a backup role. Of course, he hasn't signed a deal as a backup anywhere else, so retirement may be imminent.

There is no doubt in my mind that had Marty been interested, he would have been offered a one year deal to be a backup.

According to Lou, it was understood that Marty wouldn't be coming back as it was time for Schneider to step up. Brodeur was clearly a distraction last year.

Well i actually think that marty in mtl is going to be a thing. Bergevin met brisson about marty's intentions and interest. Only a matter of moving budaj and its happening.

Not too sure how i feel about that.....

Wow, terrible move if they move Budaj to make room. Is this another case of the media running the team up there?

Of course, I wish Marty the best if that were to happen, but yikes.

"Brodeur, an unrestricted free agent, said several times previously he was looking to be a No. 1 goalie but would consider a lesser role if it were with a contender."

Lou has said and is saying he speaks to Marty daily. Lou wonders if Marty wants to work full time in the front office. Lou say 1 of 5 retired players want to work full time, most would rather play golf or do other things.

When Lou decided to move forward with the backup goalie position for the Devils he must have known that Marty didn't think that the Devils were going to be a "contender" as the Devils were configured at the time.

Therefore Marty has another position available for him to consider other than be a #1 or a backup with a contender and that being "a backup with a non-contender"

What will he do?

Well i actually think that marty in mtl is going to be a thing. Bergevin met brisson about marty's intentions and interest. Only a matter of moving budaj and its happening.

Not too sure how i feel about that.....

If you think it's going to bother you...don't let it, even if he's going to a team you hate (you probably hate the Canadiens as much as most Devils fans in NJ hate the Rangers and Flyers).  We all got to see him at his very best, for all of his prime.  Maybe something magical happens and he surprises this season, but the balance of the last four years points to that being a major longshot...but even if he does the unthinkable and plays pretty well, the Devils were 100% right to move on from him. 

If I'm looking into a crystal ball, I'm guessing he gets off to a pretty good start that has some in the media reporting that he still has something left, but then falls off and plays so badly that he retires before the season's out.  Maybe wins 3-4 more games.  I just think his tank is just about empty.     

Any chance he returns to the Devils, hat in hand, and asks to be the backup?  Promises not to say anything negative in the press, and fully embrace the "backup role"??

Clemmer plays in the A...

I realize this is a severe longshot and not likely whatsoever...but I honestly wouldn't be shocked by it

i just read that the canadians reached out to his agent.. i think it was from that guy todd cordell or whatever his name is..

No it came from Vincent Damphousse, who obviously knows Marty. They talked about it on RDS and the move would be to bring leadership in the lockerroom cause they got rid of quite a few guys like Gorges who was bringing leadership to the team.

Of course they got to imagine the scene having marty playing in MTL and the fans going crazy and him retiring there and bla bla bla

at the end of the day we got the best out of him and even if he'd win the cup there. Price would and he'll forever be a Devils no matter what

Edited by SterioDesign

Summertime hockey humor for you:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/9/11/6130105/zeitgeist--nhl15-brodeur-mode-patch-puts-martin-brodeur-on-every-nhl-team-fake-humor

EA Sports is set to release a patch for NHL 15 that will remove all of the league's goalies and replace them with Brodeur, extending the already Hall of Fame goalie's career indefinitely in the virtual world. Each team will have two Brodeurs - one starter and one back-up - plus two additional Brodeurs in the system who can step in in case of an injury. The game's free agent pool will also only be stocked with multiple Brodeurs.

Summertime hockey humor for you:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/9/11/6130105/zeitgeist--nhl15-brodeur-mode-patch-puts-martin-brodeur-on-every-nhl-team-fake-humor

EA Sports is set to release a patch for NHL 15 that will remove all of the league's goalies and replace them with Brodeur, extending the already Hall of Fame goalie's career indefinitely in the virtual world. Each team will have two Brodeurs - one starter and one back-up - plus two additional Brodeurs in the system who can step in in case of an injury. The game's free agent pool will also only be stocked with multiple Brodeurs.

In unrelated news, Lou has purchased a copy of NHL 15 for PS4 and was last seen in his office trying to get the disk to work on his old timey phonograph.