2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second what vadvlfan said.

You think sending down Merril was about getting him playing time since he'd been sidelined with his smashed face? I really would have liked to see him get a game in with NJ, but I can see why this is a good decision. Don't want him to miss too much time if he isn't gonna play. Although I think he could have replaced Harrold without it being an issue. Either it's my flawed perception or Harrold just hasn't been as good this year.

Glad everyone enjoys the threads!

I think it was all about playing time in regards to Merrill being sent down, especially after that injury. It's still weird that the Devils would travel all the way across the country with only 6 D. Sure the odds are low that something happens but what would they do if the morning of the game one of the D wakes up with food poisoning or something? Even if they wanted to get Merrill back to Albany, I'm surprised they didn't call anyone up for cover.

Merrill couldn't replace Harrold. Do people understand how well Harrold has been playing when healthy this season?

He is much better than what people on here give him credit for. A lot of the reason he gets flack is because early in the season him being in the line up meant the the future D cornerstone of the franchise (Larsson) was out or one of NJ's best D in recent years (Fayne) was out. Naturally, and I include myself in this, it meant people bashing on Harrold unfairly. A lot like when people bash on Salvador or Volchenkov because of their contracts even though their play has been solid (I was guilty of this as well).

If anyone's interested in Harrold's numbers compared to the rest of the Devils D (min. 10+ GP):

3rd in EV TOI/GP: 16:29

4th in PP TOI/GP: 1:28

4th in 5v5 CF%: 52.8% (-1.0% CF% Rel), 5v5 FF% 52.5% (-1.0% FF% Rel)

2nd hardest O/DSt%: 48.8%

Overall he's been pretty solid though I would still rather have Fayne in the line up to keep him happy and in NJ long term (though that bridge may be burned). Harrold's better than the 7th D/AHL label that gets thrown his way, he can play at this level. He still makes a few too many errors for my liking that aren't necessarily reflected in those stats but yeah, he's been solid.

Merrill couldn't replace Harrold. Do people understand how well Harrold has been playing when healthy this season?

I was referring to Merril getting a couple games, not as a permanent replacement. Also, while he's ok, he's is not and will never be better than Fayne, so I don't see why he gets to stay in all the time. Obviously he's in now because Volch is on IR, but I think with the games out west, Merril could have gotten a game or two in when we know we won't be giving up points to a team we have to compete with for a playoff spot.

Albany defeated Hartford 3-0 for their 4th win in a row and their 5th in their past 6 games. Scoring for the Devils was Matteau (Sestito, Whitney), Boucher (Sislo, K. Zajac), and Burlon (PP, Whitney, Boucher). Kinkaid stopped all 24 shots he faced for his 2nd shutout of the year. He has 2 shutouts in his past 3 starts and has only allowed 1 goal (78-79). Albany had the edge in shots 25-24, went 1/3 on the PP, and 2/2 on the PK. Pesonen led the team in shots with 4 followed closely by Whitney and Boucher who had 3 each. Kinkaid, Boucher, and Matteau were the 3 stars. This recent run has moved Albany into 2nd place in the Northeast Division. Here is the gamesheet.

Lines and pairings thanks to Bill Cain:
Boucher-K.Zajac-Sislo
Matteau-Sestito-Whitney
McKelvie-Pelley-Pesonen
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Boychuk

Kelly-Scarlett
Helgeson-Merrill
Burlon-Hrabarenka

Stats:
Keith Kinkiad: 9 GP 7-1-1, 1.75 GAA, .930 SV%, 2 SO - Leads league in GAA.
Stefan Matteau: 16 GP 2-2-4, -2, 27 PIM, 9.09 SH%, 1.37 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 17 GP 7-10-17, +5, 12 PIM, 14.58%, 2.82 SH/GP
Reid Boucher: 17 GP 6-8-14, +4, 2 PIM, 10.90 SH%, 3.23 SH/GP
Mike Sislo: 13 GP 4-2-6, +3, 4 PIM, 16.00 SH%, 1.92 SH/GP

Great to see Boucher keep his offensive game at the pro level... I know there was concern it would translate from juniors.

I know Matteau is not going to be a scorer but with top six minutes it would be nice to see a few more shots and points.

If he can keep doing it all season, it'll really be great for us. The team needs a prospect like him.

Thanks for the updates, feisty.

Does anyone know what's going on with Timmins? It has been a while now, it seems.

Your welcome! Hard to find any info or update on Timmins other than he's been out indefinitely with a "lower body" injury. Shame since he got off to a strong start with 5 goals and 8 assists in 12 games. Hopefully one of Albany's beat writers gets an update after this weekend.

I'm encouraged by Boucher's numbers so far. I was skeptical of him but I like that he has that many assist already. No idea how his defense or skating has or hasn't improved but at least he's showing he can do more than just find open space and snipe a shot.

Your welcome! Hard to find any info or update on Timmins other than he's been out indefinitely with a "lower body" injury. Shame since he got off to a strong start with 5 goals and 8 assists in 12 games. Hopefully one of Albany's beat writers gets an update after this weekend.

I'm encouraged by Boucher's numbers so far. I was skeptical of him but I like that he has that many assist already. No idea how his defense or skating has or hasn't improved but at least he's showing he can do more than just find open space and snipe a shot.

Loved the "behiind the back "pass from Bouch.  Matteau does have decent speed/shot coming in the left side. Burlon has pretty darn good wheels the way jumps into the play. He did the same thing when I watched Albany play Norfolk.  Albany/Kinkaid look pretty darn good this year.

AHL
Albany lost to Springfield 5-3. Scoring for the Devils was Boucher (Sislo, Burlon), K. Zajac (PP, Matteau, Boucher), and Sestito (Scarlett, Whitney). Kinkaid stopped 18 of 22 shots. Springfield had the edge in shots 23-22 and Albany went 1/3 on the PP and 4/6 on the PK. McKelvie led the team with 4 shots followed by K. Zajac, Sestito, Boucher, and Pesonen who had 3 each. Here is the gamesheet.

Boucher, K. Zajac, and Matteau have points in back to back games. Pesonen only has 4 assists in 18 games but is averaging 2.38 shots per game.

ECHL
Elmira lost to Kalamazoo 6-5 (SO). Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospect:
Maxime Clermont: 28 Saves on 33 Shots, 2/4 in SO

AHL
Albany defeated Adirondack 5-3 for their 6th win in their past 8 games. Scoring for the Devils was Whitney (Matteau, Sestito), Hoeffel (Pesonen), Boucher (PP, K. Zajac, Merrill), Matteau (Sestito), and Sestito (PP, Whitney). Wedgewood stopped 24 of 27 shots. Albany outshot Adirondack 31-27, went 2/6 on the PP, and 4/5 on the PK. Their were 74 PIM in this game despite no fighting majors. Sestito, Matteau, and Whitney were the 3 stars. Boucher and Sislo each led the team with 5 shots a piece. Here is the gamesheet.

Some stats:
Joe Whitney: 19 GP 8-12-20, +5, 12 PIM, 16.00 SH%, 2.63 SH/GP
    -- 6 game scoring streak: 3 goals and 5 assists.

Stefan Matteau: 18 GP 3-4-7, E, 27 PIM, 12.00 SH%, 1.38 SH/GP
    -- 3 game scoring streak: 2 goals and 2 assists.

Reid Boucher: 19 GP 8-8-16, +3, 2 PIM, 12.69 SH%, 3.31 SH/GP
    -- 3 game scoring streak: 3 goals and 2 assists.

Kelly Zajac: 13 GP 2-3-5, -1, 0 PIM, 12.5 SH%, 1.23 SH/GP
    -- 3 game scoring streak: 1 goal and 2 assists.

ECHL
Elmira lost to Kalamazoo 2-0. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospect:
Maxime Clermont: DNP

AHL (Friday)
Albany lost to Adirondack 4-3 in overtime. Scoring for the Devils was Pesonen (Matteau), Scarlett (PP, Hrabarenka, K. Zajac), and Boucher (Sislo, K. Zajac). Kinkaid stopped 16 of 20 shots. Albany outshot Adirondack 38-20, went 1/4 on the PP, and 1/2 on the PK. Scarlett was 3rd star. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights:

Current streaks:
Matteau: 2 goals, 3 assists in past 4 games.
K. Zajac: 1 goal, 4 assists in past 4 games.
Sislo: 3 assists in past 4 games.
Boucher: 4 goals, 2 assists in past 4 games.

ECHL (Friday)
Elmira lost to Wheeling 3-1. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospect:
Maxime Clermont: DNP

Really hope matteau And Boucher pain out. Boucher seems like he can be a good second line 20-30 goal scorer. I hope. I wish Whitney would get a shot up here. Fiesty, Scarlett would he be an NHL defensmen? For us at least.

we need some talent brewing down there....our big club needs some refreshing

Really hope matteau And Boucher pain out. Boucher seems like he can be a good second line 20-30 goal scorer. I hope. I wish Whitney would get a shot up here. Fiesty, Scarlett would he be an NHL defensmen? For us at least.

I haven't seen Scarlett play an actual game, only from highlights so I can't really say. He was projected as a 2nd/3rd round talent in the beginning of his draft year but fell to the 6th, probably in some part due to playing on a bad team. He's put up nice numbers every year since his draft year and was a big part of Swift Current's turnaround in recent years. Could probably turn out to be a solid 4/5 D man if all goes well.

Current Streaks:
Stefan Matteau: 4 goals, 4 assists in past 5 games.
Kelly Zajac: 1 goal,  6 assists in past 5 games.
Mike Sislo: 2 goals, 4 assists in past 5 games.
Reid Boucher: 5 goals, 2 assists in past 5 games.
Reece Scarlett: 3 goals, 2 assists in past 6 games.
Joe Whitney: 3 goals, 7 assists in past 10 games.

Season Stats:
Stefan Matteau: 20 GP 5-6-11, -1, 29 PIM, 15.6 SH%, 1.6 SH/GP
Kelly Zajac: 15 GP 2-7-9, +1, 2 PIM, 11.1 SH%, 1.2 SH/GP
Mike Sislo: 17 GP 6-5-11, +3, 8 PIM, 16.2 SH%, 2.2 SH/GP
Reid Boucher: 21 GP 10-8-18, +4, 2 PIM, 14.5 SH%, 3.3 SH/GP
Reece Scarlett: 19 GP 3-4-7, +7, 10 PIM, 11.1 SH%, 1.4 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 21 GP 8-13-21, +3, 12 PIM, 13.8 SH%, 2.8 SH/GP

AHL
Albany defeated Bridgeport 8-6. Matteau and Sislo had 2 goals and an assist each, Sestito had a goal and 2 assists, Scarlett had a goal and an assist, and Boucher and McKelvie each had a goal. Wedgewood stopped 9 of 15 shots. Albany outshot Bridgeport 32-15, went 3/6 on the PP, and 2/3 on the PK. Matteau and Sislo were the top 2 stars. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights (goals and Hrabarenka shattering the glass!):

ECHL
Elmira defeated Cincinnati 2-1. Here is the gamesheet. Unfortunately, it looks like Maxime Clermont is the back up goaltender right now.

Yikes. Scott Wedgewood with 9 saves on 15 shots.

He gets the win though as Albany scores 8 (2 by Matteau).

I don't know why Kinkaid din't take over but oh well.

I wonder if Wedgewood is one of those goalies that is at their best when they see a lot of action both in terms of consistent starts and getting pucks thrown at them? His AHL numbers are a small sample size but he hasn't fared well at all, but maybe he just hasn't found his groove yet.

His OHL numbers may not jump out a whole lot but were solid considering the workload he had (roughly 31 shots per game or  33 per 60 minutes) in his 2 years as a starter. Last year he played on a really, really bad Trenton team so his ECHL numbers don't look that great but he was once again facing roughly 31 shots per game or 32 per 60 minutes and played a lot of back to backs. Considering how hard they rode him, I'd say he did fine as a rookie. I noticed in his sporadic AHL starts he's only facing about 23 shots per game or 25 shots per 60 minutes.

Of course he has to take advantage of his opportunities to earn more playing time when they arise but I suppose he just hasn't found his rhythm yet.