2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Well apparently Ellis got $5 million from the Pats! So yeah, no way he was going to stay for the vet minimum here over that :lol:

Although I do think if we'd made a fair offer (say $2.5 or $3) he doesn't talk with other teams but clearly we didn't want him back, and they needed him more to add vet leadership on a young defense.

Edited by NJDevs4978

..something funny is going on here, and I don't like it.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/patsy_bellomo/?p=90

If Plaxico's ankle is worse than the Jets are letting on, than this franchise deserves to be tar'd-&-feather'd in a public square for their treatment(s) of J'Co & Braylon.

joey c from brooklyn throwin in the towel. some1 hacked that handle :giggle:

..sorry to disappoint, but this is me talking.

It's one thing to be an optimist, it's another to drink the kool-aid. I don't drink the kool-aid with any team I root for.

..all I see in the "Arrivals" category is Mason & Plax. Meanwhile our departures are:

Braylon Edwards: 49er's

Jason Taylor: Dolphins

Brad Smith: Bills

James Ihedigbo: Rams (rumored)

Kris Jenkins: retirement

Steve Weatherford: Giants

Ben Hartsock: Panthers

Drew Coleman: Jaguars

Isaiah Trufant: Eagles

Vernon Gholston: Bears

Kellen Clemens: Redskins

Kevin O'Connell: Dolphins

Jerricho Cotchery: Steelers

Andre Dyson: Lions

Trevor Pryce: released/cut

Shaun Ellis: Patriots

Tony Richardson: retirement

Damien Woody: retirement

Laveranues Coles: retirement

Can NOT happen. Case closed!

You can't lose 19 players, and expect the locker room to be the same. The chemistry is completely different, and that falls on the Jets this offseason. When it was clear Nnamdi wasn't coming here, management decided to scramble together a Plan-B. But how does that strategy look now with Plaxico's ankle being the talk of training camp.. and Edwards, Cotchery, and Smith all gone?

..at the end of the day, you have to be a realist. I'm sticking with 8-8.

..sorry to disappoint, but this is me talking.

It's one thing to be an optimist, it's another to drink the kool-aid. I don't drink the kool-aid with any team I root for.

Can NOT happen. Case closed!

You can't lose 19 players, and expect the locker room to be the same. The chemistry is completely different, and that falls on the Jets this offseason. When it was clear Nnamdi wasn't coming here, management decided to scramble together a Plan-B. But how does that strategy look now with Plaxico's ankle being the talk of training camp.. and Edwards, Cotchery, and Smith all gone?

..at the end of the day, you have to be a realist. I'm sticking with 8-8.

I think they have downgraded tremendously at WR and Sanchez will have a tough time early in the season to get in sync.

The D also looks weaker upfront. I also think that Rex Speak will being to ring more and more hollow.

I think 9-7 is feasible.

I have learned first hand, that on a fan board site such as this, there are more kool-aid drinkers than discerning fans.

I see 8-8 as their floor.

I think 9-7 is feasible.

What happens this season with the Jets, will write an evolving chapter to the legacy that is Rex Ryan. The big knock on Rex is the; "not the carpenter, but the tools" philosophy.

Look at some of the players he's coached on defense: Ray Lewis.. Bart Scott.. Rod Woodson.. Deion Sanders.. Chris McAlister.. Kris Jenkins.. Terrell Suggs.. Adalius Thomas.. Calvin Pace.. Antonio Cromartie.. Darrelle Revis.. Ed Reed.. Jason Taylor.. Ty Law.. Shaun Ellis.. Trevor Pryce.. and David Harris. (just to name a few off the top of my head) RR has always had a star-studded group on paper in front of him. This has caused many naysayers to criticize his coaching ability, reasoning being: "He's always had an all-star defense" theory.

However, when you look at the 20 players the Jets lost through free agency this offseason.. 10 of them were on defense. (including a complete facelift on the front seven)

Though players like Pouha, DeVito, Dixon, Westerman, Pitoitua, Wilkerson, and (Kendrick) Ellis all have potential.. their resume's are blank.

If the Jets defense finishes Top 5 in the NFL this year.. Ryan's notoriety will be cemented.

Edited by Beezer34

..something funny is going on here, and I don't like it.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/patsy_bellomo/?p=90

If Plaxico's ankle is worse than the Jets are letting on, than this franchise deserves to be tar'd-&-feather'd in a public square for their treatment(s) of J'Co & Braylon.

It's August and the guy just got out of prison a minute and a half ago, he's not anywhere near game shape yet - and it's entirely possible he DOES have personal matters to contend with considering. Plus he was notoroiously absent from almost every practice his last year or two with the Giants with some ache/pain but come gameday he was there. I ain't gonna pitch a fit until he starts missing regular season games.

And I do think injuries could be a problem on offense, given you're counting on three 30+ players (Mason, Plax, Tomlinson) to be big parts of the offense...but we're not there yet.

Ya know, I'm really surprised that the Sanchize hasn't been taken to task more on that '85 Bears comment he made about the Jet defense. I almost spit out my coffee when I read that.

It depends on what he said, I haven't heard the exact quote yet; just that he made some comparison. If he said we (the offense) are making the D look like the '85 Bears that's one thing, if he said we're as good as the '85 Bears then he's got to put down the Rex-Aid and get to a twelve-step program :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

It depends on what he said, I haven't heard the exact quote yet; just that he made some comparison. If he said we (the offense) are making the D look like the '85 Bears that's one thing, if he said we're as good as the '85 Bears then he's got to put down the Rex-Aid and get to a twelve-step program :P

+1

It's good to be confident, but to sing it before you bring it is a recipe for disaster.

Ask Dustin Keller about game #1 last year.

It's August and the guy just got out of prison a minute and a half ago, he's not anywhere near game shape yet - and it's entirely possible he DOES have personal matters to contend with considering. Plus he was notoroiously absent from almost every practice his last year or two with the Giants with some ache/pain but come gameday he was there. I ain't gonna pitch a fit until he starts missing regular season games.

And I do think injuries could be a problem on offense, given you're counting on three 30+ players (Mason, Plax, Tomlinson) to be big parts of the offense...but we're not there yet.

I can't find the exact quote, but he compared the Jets defense to the '85 Bears and basically said they were on the same level. Fat Rex shot it down immediately though, which isn't surprising in this case. He may be a blow-hard, but the dude knows defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Jets looked good last, granted it was the Bungles

Kyle Wilson & Joey McKnight.

Man.. what a difference a year makes for these two guys. They both look like different players. Cumberland is also a nice surprise.. as is Maybin & Kerley. I have a funny feeling we haven't seen entirely what the Jets have in store for these guys. They have shown alot of ability, with very little spotlight on them. It's possible the Jets are keeping their plans under wraps for these players, and wait till there's a big game to cash them in and turn them loose. They've been flying under the rader as of these last 2 games.

Ducasse is an absolute disgrace. (as is the depth on the o'line for that matter)

The Jets have allowed 10 sacks over the last two games. :yucky: If this keeps up, we may want to place a call to Shaun O'Hara. I can see us picking him up cheap, if he wants to stay in the New York area.

-----------

EDIT: I know it's just 1 game.. but the biggest steal of this season may be Plaxico. :whistling:

Edited by Beezer34

• 3 weeks later...

Great win. I don't think they played all that well; the Cowboys kind of shot themselves in the foot -- the redzone fumble, the penalties, not blocking McKnight on the punt, the Revis INT -- but the Jets did a great job capitalizing on those mistakes and Sanchez was at least solid despite his indecisiveness at times.

Edited by nmigliore

O Line looks terrible, Sanchez needs to make better decisions (heard that one before), defense struggles against mobile quarterback.

we don't have edge speed on the defense, and while our linebackers are tremendous run stuffers, these shifty qb's give them fits when they break containment.

luckily for us, we only play 1 really mobile QB the rest of the season. Vick.

Great win. I don't think they played all that well; the Cowboys kind of shot themselves in the foot -- the redzone fumble, the penalties, not blocking McKnight on the punt, the Revis INT -- but the Jets did a great job capitalizing on those mistakes and Sanchez was at least solid despite his indecisiveness at times.

What really stuck out to me with that game...in so many past Jet seasons, everything that happened to the Cowboys (the late-game faux pas, etc.) would've happened to the Jets. The Jets really have left their past behind. Big big BIG win for them, even if it was only Week 1.

And Romo really does suck. He puts up respectable numbers, but I hate guys who crumple during crunch time...as Romo does. Sanchez has at least shown the ability to raise his game when needed (especailly come playoff time).

Wow..

..got a text from a buddy of mine, and just confirmed it. (and I can't believe I missed this)

Between the span of today, and November 6th (Week 9).. the Jets play a total of only 2 home games?!

Now how the flying fvck does that word?! :angry:

Edited by Beezer34