Ex-Devils defenseman Alexei Kasatonov not helping in Ilya Kovalchuk sa

hattrick

http://www.nj.com/de...t_flyout_sports

A former Devils defenseman isn't doing his old NHL club any favors. Alexei Kasatonov, general manager of SKA St. Petersburg in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League, told Sportbox.ru that he will "do everything possible" to keep Ilya Kovalchuk from returning to the NHL. Rumors have persisted that executives from natural gas and oil firms in Russia are trying to keep Kovalchuk in the KHL by offering as much as $30 million a season.

http://www.nj.com/de...t_flyout_sports

A former Devils defenseman isn't doing his old NHL club any favors. Alexei Kasatonov, general manager of SKA St. Petersburg in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League, told Sportbox.ru that he will "do everything possible" to keep Ilya Kovalchuk from returning to the NHL. Rumors have persisted that executives from natural gas and oil firms in Russia are trying to keep Kovalchuk in the KHL by offering as much as $30 million a season.

He was weasel in his playing days. Color me unsurprised.

[No thing suprising here. I think this is the equivilatnt of the former American Football league going after NFL prospects with big money and guilt. Kovy doesn't have this context but its not the smart move risking 100 million in guaranteed money especially after some of the KHL stories I have heard

Edited by newarkdev01

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break," Kovalchuk told Russia's Sport-Express. "Right now, I can't imagine how (staying in the KHL) can be arranged... But I don't know anything yet."

If that comment is true, screw em let him stay. Then ban his ass from ever playing in any international event and don't even think about coming back to the NHL.

Face it if he really feels this way he will never play with his heart in it. Wow what a waste of money players and pics!

I really hope this article is not real but I doubt it. Sorry guys he is not into playing for a USA team he wants Mother Russia, wow!

Sorry that quote came from the beginning link article from nj.com

Edited by Devs1965

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break," Kovalchuk told Russia's Sport-Express. "Right now, I can't imagine how (staying in the KHL) can be arranged... But I don't know anything yet."

If that comment is true, screw em let him stay. Then ban his ass from ever playing in any international event and don't even think about coming back to the NHL.

Face it if he really feels this way he will never play with his heart in it. Wow what a waste of money players and pics!

I really hope this article is not real but I doubt it. Sorry guys he is not into playing for a USA team he wants Mother Russia, wow!

You have to remember that these quotes are intended for Russian fans and not us and this was loosely translated to English so it can be out of context. Still the only thing thats a constant is he is saying he has to go back to New Jersey. He will be here one day after training camp and will give us the interview for Devil fans and it will take a few days to blowover and that will be it. Cant wait til then.

Edited by Zubie#8

You have to remember that these quotes are intended for Russian fans and not us and this was loosely translated to English so it can be out of context. Still the only thing thats a constant is he is saying he has to go back to New Jersey. He will be here one day after training camp and will give us the interview for Devil fans and it will take a few days to blowover and that will be it. Cant wait til then.

I don't know if I buy that all he had to say is I want to thank so and so for the opportunity to play in this great league for a game I love but I have a job left in the NHL to bring the cup back to you fans and my home. Period. But to say his first choice is to stay then I have to question where his heart is and will he give 100% or hope he is bought out come summer! Just makes me sick,, first Zach now is Kovy pulling a I'm homesick bs.

If he comes back he better light it up or everyone is going to question his heart! We gave up a lot for him he should choose his words more wisely

Edited by Devs1965

I don't know if I buy that all he had to say is I want to thank so and so for the opportunity to play in this great league for a game I love but I have a job left in the NHL to bring the cup back to you fans and my home. Period. But to say his first choice is to stay then I have to question where his heart is and will he give 100% or hope he is bought out come summer! Just makes me sick

You guys are just reading way too much into what he is saying to the media and fans over there. Of course he will tell them that he wishes he can stay, its his home and he is loved over there.

I will reserve judgment until the CBA is ratified and until Lou finally talks.

You guys are just reading way too much into what he is saying to the media and fans over there. Of course he will tell them that he wishes he can stay, its his home and he is loved over there.

I will reserve judgment until the CBA is ratified and until Lou finally talks.

I will agree there because Lou does not take bs and did not like the contract to begin with.

This whole situation is just bad PR for everybody, cant wait until the season starts so this all blows over.

Agree, really bad PR for both player and team, in a time where other GMs are focusing on how to apologize to and re-engage their fanbase. Although it wouldn't be right in principle (especially Lou's principle), at this point, I wish he'd just say he gave him permission to play, and put a knife in it. This is pretty much what every pregame broadcast is going to be talking about for the first month of games we play...

fyeahamerica-vintage.jpg

I agree with Zubie#8. Until Kovy either shows up or doesn't, I have no reason to believe this is nothing other than a combination of playing to the hometown fans and mistranslated half-truths.

Kovy's been pretty vocal against the owners from the start. I think he's legitimately disgusted with the way the NHL has handled its business since he's been in the league (something he has the right to be), and pleased with the way he's been treated in Russia. This led to him saying something somewhat misguided. He's always spoken his mind (if in broken English over here), and he's emotional. I don't see him playing and differently when he gets back, though.

I think Kovy is a guy that wants a) certainty and b) doesn't like moving around. The on/off style of negotiations and rollercoaster it was for everyone really bugged him.

Plus, like other have said, these quotes are targeted towards his fans in Russia and the team there. I mean, his owner is the president of the league to boot, how's that for pressure? One thing we don't get in 140 characters is the tone and that could quite significantly change the weight of some of the quotes.