GAME THREAD: Penguins @ DEVILS 7:30pm FSNY

Weekes Head

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back... good game but way too many penalties (19), I ran out of room on the scoresheet for them lol. Favorite chants were, "Zachie is better", "Parise is better", "Overrated"(reffering to Crosby). Nice to see G, Brylin, Parise, Brodeur, and Mogilny have good games.

I forgot to mention this, during warmups Mario straddles the center red line at the face off dot. He was facing his own net not really participating in the drills. So what Devil goes to the Devils' side if the line and stands with his back inches from Mario's?

John Madden! B )

Btw Madden didn't move away until Mario did. :D

Short thoughts, 'cause I'm exhausted from the game. Very tiring after waiting so long!

Hooray for the Devils PK squads. Fantastic job killing off 5-3s, some of which were BS.

Langenbrunner couldn't catch a break. Penalized twice (not the best calls from where I was sitting), didn't draw a penalty when he should have, and just barely missed the net on a beautiful setup and shot.

Mogilny looked like a guy with a hip replacement. Very slow.

Kozlov played very well, except when he tried to stickhandle his way through everybody. Nice passes, good moves, really works well with Parise and Gionta.

Parise is, of course, the real deal.

Gionta was kickass.

Brylin looked like a first line LW tonight. He was everywhere.

Gomez didn't get a lot of ice time tonight, mainly 'cause he was riding the pine in the first due to all the Penguin PPs.

McGillis did not have a great game, but he wasn't horrible.

Matvichuk I didn't see much of; meaning he had a good game. An EXCELLENT shot block at one point.

Rafalski had some great moments, and some real brain lapses.

Martin was shaky, but saved a goal with one of the shots he blocked.

The 4th line did just what it needed to.

ALL HAIL MARTIN BRODEUR for tonight's game. Without him, the Penguins score at least 4 goals in the opening 10 minutes of the first period.

Maybe I'll add more tomorrow. Right now, I'm very, very drained.

Oh yeah, and the mini-cups are kickass. :evil: So in the last two weeks, my loot has been 2 (crappy) Devils shirts, 2 (mediocre) Devils hats, a mini-Cup, and an autographed Rafalski stick. Schweet.

Just got home, great game to be in attendance.

The chants were great, I loved every minute of them...even better was the drunk guy in front of me starting most of the chants. :wub:

May I say that McGillis was awful tonight? He should NEVER NEVER NNNNNNEVER be put on the powerplay EVER again, he screwed up every chance he got. Ugh.

Marty was unbelievable.

Parise was incredible.

Brylin is the man, and for those who think Freeze should have been kept over them -- may I laugh in your face? :P JK

Let's see...Malakhov played well, Matvichuk was shaky, White had a cannon of a shot, Martin looked a bit nervous. Our forwards looked like they had a helluva lot of fun out there, good for them. Gionta was on fire tonight, good for him. Gomez was crazy, and I thought Kozlov had a very good game.

Without reading the entire thread, I don't know what to think of all the penalties called, but it friggen felt like the refs were just TRYING to give Crosby chances at scoring. A Devil so much as BREATHED on a Pen, he got penalized. Very annoying.

Didn't see anyone from the board other than Has and Joe...great to see them, hopefully I'll see some more of you at the game on Saturday!

Well everyone was wondering how Marty Brodeur would do with the new rules, no Stevens and No Niedermayer. I was wondering as well. Usally he faces 17 shots in a game and he faced that in the first period alone. 36 saaves in total. When was the last time Marty played where he had to make more than 35 saves?

Well after 1 game, Brodeur showed he doesn't need great defenseman to play well. He was fantastic.

Oh, it was also funny when the NJ Devil mascot came out onto the ice from the top of the arena, attached to a harnass. He got stuck a couple times, and then when he hit the ice, he couldn't get out and pretty much stood there for a good thirty seconds or so trying to untangle himself. Quite entertaining.

The chants were great, I loved every minute of them...even better was the drunk guy in front of me starting most of the chants. :wub:

Speaking of that, is Baumann still around?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure. *Someone* tried doing the chant (wasn't sure if it was him) after the first goal but it got drowned out and then it was never heard again. I didn't see him at all.

I forgot to mention this, during warmups Mario straddles the center red line at the face off dot.  He was facing his own net not really participating in the drills.  So what Devil goes to the Devils' side if the line and stands with his back inches from Mario's? 

John Madden!    B )

Btw Madden didn't move away until Mario did.    :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did he call hm Ace?

Hope the yanks score a few runs so I will watch the devs replay.

I didn't see half the penalties that were called, I did see a couple that weren't called. Especially a hook by I thnk Malakov right in front of the crease. Kill was great, or should I say, I didn't hink the pens PP was awsome, when Mario held the puck in the corner, not much movement by the rest of his teamates.

all in all team looked good. Martin look 10 times better than he did 2 years ago. Malakov has a great one timer, shot off the wrong skate(or something just looked akward about it third period, I think PP) and still got it on net. Paraise has a nose for the net. too many pp's in general. If the speed keeps up, I'm not that worried about this team. I don't see all he hype for the pens. 1 game, but I just don't see it. I didn't iso on Crosby at all, noticed him, but nothing jaw dropping.

My favorite chant of the night, Mario shoots, crosby swallows.

Will have better feel for penalties once I watch replay.

Saw some familiar faces, best part of the night. almost a playoff atmosphere tonight.

Poor Zach. He puts his stick in front of Crosby, so Crosby chops it out of his hands. Penalty Parise.

He gets pushed and run into Thibeault. Penalty Parise. Welcome to NHL officiating my friend.

I don't know what we did to offend McCreary. Maybe he's just incompetent. But most of the calls against the Devils tonight have not been penalties... even WITH the new rules. Maybe they have a quota to fill?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was kinda disturbing to say the least, it was like they were BEGGING the kid to get a goal :doh1: I promised myself I wouldn't gripe about the penalties because I do want the crackdown to last, but tonight was one of the most ridiculously one-sided games I've ever seen and it was obvious why. And it was McCreary to boot, the one official I didn't think we would get this garbage from. Every time we breathed on them without using Certs, it was called a penalty. And some Penguin penalties got missed for sure. They might as well never have bothered to close the door to the Devils' penalty box. Ironic that the Devils have been adjusting to the rules well in the preseason with like 3-4 penalties in a game then all of a sudden they get like 15?! Something's rotten in the state of Jersey.

Yet even with playing 6-on-4 for most of the game (the officials counting for the sixth man and of course four for the Devils) we KICKED BUTT!

Loved the overrated chant, obviously it was meant for Crosby but I think it could apply to the Penguins as a whole. I even predicted the 'Parise's better' chant would come and it did :evil:

Atmosphere was very good too, maybe it wasn't a total sellout but it was VERY close and most of the fans that were there were Devils fans, at least this should stop the attendance nonsense for oh three days or so :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Speaking of that, is Baumann still around?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure. *Someone* tried doing the chant (wasn't sure if it was him) after the first goal but it got drowned out and then it was never heard again. I didn't see him at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yup that was him

just got home and posted this on another forum I am a reg at, but I had a blast at the game, undoubtedly some of the stuff I say is redundant, but hey, awesome time!

Nice start to the era of no Stevens or Nieds. Ended up leaving about halfway through the 3rd when we we were up 4-1 as I wanted to beat traffic out of there and get home.

Marty was absolutely fvcking STUNNING. I've seen him in person so many times now but what he did during the 1st period was otherworldly. Lots of stupid penalties by the Devils in the first ten minutes, two 5 on 3s and the Pens were just coming hard. I think they had like 20 shots in the first alone, but Marty was just amazing. When Sarge scored that first goal it took the wind out of the Pens I think.

Took a while for the Devs to get going but hell, forget Crosby, we got Zach Parise, kid is amazing to watch and Sid was good too on his shifts, definite potential. Both have some of the best hockey sense Ive seen in young players. I was watching both of them whenever they were on the ice and they both just seemed to know exactly where to be. Parise was also great on the faceoff. Parise ended up with a goal and a assist.

Gionta is gonna be money in the "new game", he was all over the place. The Devils' forwards are so fast, everyone of them have jets. Maddog was great all night with the pressure and Colin White played fantastic defense. 2 goals, 1 assist for Gionta, just awesome.

The real star was Brodeur though, my God after that 1st period slow start the Penguins just looked lost trying to score on him. I must've seen Mario shake his head in disgust every shift. They did get that one goal and I was hoping for a shutout but oh well. 5-1 is a nice start

Good to see Almo out there too, he was sharp on his shifts and didnt seem impeded by the hip flexor at all.

Devils looked DAMN good tonight. We had some silly penalties in the beginning of the game but the ship was righted fairly quickly. The Pens had lots of penalties too but their power play couldnt do anything cept that one goal. On even strength the Devils just owned them. Our team speed is absolutely remarkable. Long season left but if we play like we did after the first 10 of the 1st, we've got a damn good chance at making a lot of noise come playoff time.

just got home and posted this on another forum I am a reg at, but I had a blast at the game, undoubtedly some of the stuff I say is redundant, but hey, awesome time!

Nice start to the era of no Stevens or Nieds. Ended up leaving about halfway through the 3rd when we we were up 4-1 as I wanted to beat traffic out of there and get home.

Marty was absolutely fvcking STUNNING. I've seen him in person so many times now but what he did during the 1st period was otherworldly. Lots of stupid penalties by the Devils in the first ten minutes, two 5 on 3s and the Pens were just coming hard. I think they had like 20 shots in the first alone, but Marty was just amazing. When Sarge scored that first goal it took the wind out of the Pens I think.

Took a while for the Devs to get going but hell, forget Crosby, we got Zach Parise, kid is amazing to watch and Sid was good too on his shifts, definite potential. Both have some of the best hockey sense Ive seen in young players. I was watching both of them whenever they were on the ice and they both just seemed to know exactly where to be. Parise was also great on the faceoff. Parise ended up with a goal and a assist.

Gionta is gonna be money in the "new game", he was all over the place. The Devils' forwards are so fast, everyone of them have jets. Maddog was great all night with the pressure and Colin White played fantastic defense. 2 goals, 1 assist for Gionta, just awesome.

The real star was Brodeur though, my God after that 1st period slow start the Penguins just looked lost trying to score on him. I must've seen Mario shake his head in disgust every shift. They did get that one goal and I was hoping for a shutout but oh well. 5-1 is a nice start

Good to see Almo out there too, he was sharp on his shifts and didnt seem impeded by the hip flexor at all.

Devils looked DAMN good tonight. We had some silly penalties in the beginning of the game but the ship was righted fairly quickly. The Pens had lots of penalties too but their power play couldnt do anything cept that one goal. On even strength the Devils just owned them. Our team speed is absolutely remarkable. Long season left but if we play like we did after the first 10 of the 1st, we've got a damn good chance at making a lot of noise come playoff time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GREAT post bro- couldn't agree more. Marty was on another planet tonight- definately feeding the old theory the best penalty keeping you can get is great goaltending. But man, the # of penalties called was just obsurd. I understand that it will take the players a certian amount of time to get used to the new rules, but God- let 'em play a little. It was ridiculous. You don't have to call EVERYTHING that looks like hooking or holding or interference. And I thought I was going to have a stroke when they called that penalty on Zach for goalie interference- HORRIBLE. But we won and everyone played well- ESPECIALLY Marty, Little G, and Zach. I loved the chants of "PARISE'S BETTER" and "CROSBY SUCKS" going on throughout the night too- and of course- we had the "RANGERS SUCK" chant going too. It was SOOOOOOO great to be back at the 'ol CAA. GREAT night!!!!!!!

LOVING the overrated chant for Crosby.. good job Devil fans !!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap: overrated :clap:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crosby looked good from what I saw. He outhustled two Devils on his first shift and only Brodeur stopped him from scoring. The latter was a theme all night and prevented it from being a different game.

Sid also had a great saucer pass to setup LeClair for a chance. He definitely is very quick and wins puck battles. I also saw him force a turnover with a great backcheck.

The pass to Recchi was nice. There's little doubt that Crosby will be a very good player. There's a ton of pressure on him to be the best. It should be fun to watch him all season long and see if he can fulfill those lofty expectations.

Ditto Ovechkin, Parise, Richards and other rookies. Looks like it will be fun to watch.

few things,

as I'm watching the replay, I'm likeing the refs less and less.

Dano looked good in the pregame.

must be auctioning off the jerseys worn in first period, patcehs were white first period, the JM patch the second.

lots of posts tonight.

I thought Crosby was really impressive too. Now that I got to see the actual video footage of the game and not the streaming audio, I saw that he made some really nice moves to give himself some room in front of the net. That feed in the third period looked like it came from a star player well established in the league. For someone who is only 18 years old and played his first real game in the NHL he looked amazing.

As for Parise, the kid looked like he already knows where to be at the right time. Just watching the guy already made me a fan. I loved the way he was hustling and his intensity combined with a ton of skill, it might not be surprising if he ended up with 20 goals and 50 points in his rookie season.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.