2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Four weeks ago, the lowly Bills were 2-2. Their defense looked terrible.. they began subtly sounding off against Ryan to the media.. and they looked like they were about to implode. Meanwhile, their division included a 4-1 Jets team, and a 5-0 Patriots. That was the state of the Bills last month.. and like it or not, 4 weeks later, Rex has completely straightened that team out.

Reading some of the posts on this thread after the Jet loss, is like hearing an 11 year old yell "BUT HE CHEATED" after they lose a race. Are we only conditioned to say: "hey.. no such thing as style points baby" --when other Head Coaches win in the NFL?? Rex won! Plain and simple. He came in on a short week, and won a road game that many thought he would lose. He got his revenge, and you know what? --good for him! He's been wrongfully and harshly abused by the fans\media all season long. He's been labeled Bozo the Clown.. while Todd Bowles has been heralded as the next Vince Lombardi. Well guess what folks, Bozo & Lombardi are both 5-4.. and as much as I like Bowles (and I do) the honeymoon is officially over.

I refuse to sit here and give sour-grapes about last night. To say: "oh, Rex got lucky" -- "oh, we shot ourselves in foot" -- "oh, just a couple more plays.."  FVCK THAT! That's how it is in this league. That's football. If you're going to sit there and say the "Jets squandered a game they should've won" --just like they did against the Patriots.. just like they did against the Eagles.. then wtf does that say about our Head Coach?? :noclue: That we could be 7-2 right now, but we aren't??? I've looked at the losses for Buffalo that Rex got killed about.. and I see they lost by 3 points against Jacksonville with a QB that's currently not in the league anymore. I see they couldn't beat an undefeated powerhouse in Cincinnati. I see they couldn't beat an undefeated powerhouse in New England. Yeah, Rex failed against the Patriots & Bengals, but so has everyone else up until this point.

The talking heads against Rex really ate some crow last night. Take your humble pie, and eat it quietly.. because if that team wins 4-5 more games and gets into the playoffs for the first time in 16 years (with, yet ANOTHER unknown quarterback) Mr. Ryan will get consideration for Coach of the Year. And you can take that to the bank!

EDIT: and btw.. Todd Bowles is 1-4 after a victory.

Edited by Beezer34

lol Beez I know you love Rex but what about last night's game impressed you about his coaching? Burning through his timeouts again early in the second half? Burning through his last challenge on a six yard second down play in the second quarter? Going conservative late and nearly blowing a 22-3 lead?

I'll give them credit for avoiding killer penalties, which was Rex's bugaboo far too often earlier this year and as a Jet, and they're a good team now that Rex has been playing to the D's strengths the last couple weeks instead of trying to shove his system down their throat.

That said this game was still there to win and if we were playing anyone other than Rex you'd be killing the Jets instead of this praise the opposition nonsense. And if Rex was on the sideline for us and Joe Schmoe for the Bills I'd be eviscerating Rex too. Last night wasn't about who was on the other sideline, it was about our own players and staffs fvck ups.

Now was last nights embarrassment enhanced because it was Rex on the other sideline sure, but it was also enhanced cause it was a prime time game critical to our playoff chances and theirs. This is the game we'll look back on when we finish 8-8 or 9-7 and come up short.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Let's see where the Bills are after their next five games.  Four out of five on the road, one of them against the Pats. 

Beez is right in one sense, in that a lot of these games come down to a handful of plays for most teams, and execution...the game was there for the Jets to win (1st and 10 on your opponents' 13 after the Bills' muffed punt with ALL of the momentum on your side), but they didn't execute, either on the field or from the sideline. 

But just because Rex's team won the game doesn't mean he did a great job by default.  And the next stretch is a big test for him...his teams haven't shown much ability to sustain success in recent seasons (yes, there's plenty of reasons for that and not all of them are on Rex, but this win will feel a lot less impressive if this turns out to be the high point of the Bills' season.

He is a Jets fan, just trying to be fair and seeing the situation for what it is.

It was a bit over the top and juvenile though. It'd be like me posting a sanctumonious I told you so when every Devils fan other than me celebrated Julien getting fired then he wins a Cup and beats us like a drum for five years. Beez would NOT have made that post if it was anyone other than Mr. Personality on the other side but since he loves Rex he can't wait to attack everyone else who dares to criticize Beliryan

When he says some of the posts were juvenile last night he's calling us out. We were the only Jet fans posting. And I don't appreciate having a supposed Jet fan get holier than thou when the blood is still fresh from a brutal loss.

Edited by NJDevs4978

u call yourself a jets fan beezer. gloating in favor of rex against your team?! smfh

The maltreatment that Rex endured his last 2 seasons with the Jets, was enough to give anyone a bleeding heart for the guy. Once Idzik saw that Rex took a less than talented team to 8-8 in 2013.. he further finished his agenda by starving him even more the following year. They had 30 millions dollars, but they didn't use it. They had 7 quality corners available via free agency.. but they didn't sign them. Rex had Michael Vick, but he was forced to use Geno. It was agonizing to witness. It was like watching someone fight a man with both arms tied behind his back. I'll never forget the game against Miami when Rex was lining up Calvin Pace and Davis as CB's out of desperation.. because he literally had no secondary. It was so sad, and tormentingly abusive to watch.. I had to turn off the TV. Other NFL GM's and former Head Coaches were even commenting how heartbreaking it was for Rex. It was no way to treat someone that had done so much for this franchise. That loved being here and being our coach as much as he did. Someone who had won 50 games, and coached this team to 2 Championships. Rex Ryan should've been cherished. Instead he was sabotaged.. and it was down-right heinous to witness as a Jets fan.

Rex is a great defensive mind.. and an even better motivator. He's a good teacher, and more importantly.. a good man. I'm glad he found a team that appreciates him. And if you think I'm less of a Jets fan because of that, so be it. I know where I stand with this team. I could care less what other think of my fandom.

Let's see where the Bills are after their next five games. Four out of five on the road, one of them against the Pats. The next stretch is a big test for him...his teams haven't shown much ability to sustain success in recent seasons.

The next game for the Bills is the Pats. Their last game of the season is against the Jets. The 5 games in-between the Jets and New England are against 5 teams with a combined record of 15-30. Couple all of this with the fact that: this the healthiest the Bills have been all season.. last night's victory against the Jets just doubled their odds of making the postseason.

Bottom line is that the Jets now MUST at least win 2 of the next 3 games if not all of them to go 8-4. They can probably afford a loss the Giants to go 7-5...and of course they will as the Giants will likely pull out more pre-ordained miracles against us.

These next 4 games are all very winnable. They will have an extra couple of days to plan and get healthy against Houston.. and then they play 3 straight games in MetLife against the Giants, Miami and Tennessee. If they win half of them, they will still have an outside chance of making the playoffs with 3 games still remaining. If they win 3 out of 4.. they will be 8-5, and have a very good chance of getting in.

Last night didn't kill the season.. it just set the Jets back.

Beez would NOT have made that post if it was anyone other than Mr. Personality on the other side..

Damn right I wouldn't have! I like Rex because the man's the most successful coach this organization has ever had.. and while everyone in the world was bashing the guy with their own: "I told ya so's" when the Bills were 2-3.. I stayed quiet! Put your big boy pants on now and do the same.

I'm just as hurt and upset by last night as you are. The difference is: I can tip my hat to the guy, without backhanded comments like "what did he do to deserve the win last night" :blahblah: He's not the first coach in the NFL to get lucky, and he won't be the last.

So in other words we're not entitled to get on Rex in a Jets thread for his obvious deficiencies (including btw being TOO involved in player personnel with Tanny) when he's not even the Jet coach anymore because in YEAR SIX as a Jet coach he got hosed after already missing the playoffs three years running?

And lol at thinking a two game winning streak is an I told you so moment, right now all he is is .500...he got real good with that under two GM's here. Btw the Jets didn't hose him, Idzik did. Most fans didn't want him to go but it was just time. And Idzik lost his job cause of it and will never get another GM job. If anything Rex should have been gone when Tanny was but Woody tried to make an arranged marriage work cause he liked Rex too.

I wasn't even so much getting on your opinion as your combative tone btw, you act like people were getting on YOU when criticizing Rex, nobody was calling you out then so I don't see where your need arises to call us out. If you want to argue opinions fine, just don't be a **** about it. There's more than enough of that crap I stay away from in the hockey forum.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I was in no way an ass Has.. and honestly, targeting an internet post for a "combative tone" is just silly. I neither cursed nor got vulgar. If my one analogy of an 11 year old hurt your feelings, then I don't know what to say.

Regarding the Bills: I never fist-pumped the 2 game winning streak. That's not what last night was about. If that's all you see, you missed the point. I suggest watching Rex's very emotional postgame interview for further clarification on what yesterday meant.

I'm done with this now.

If you don't see how you came off like an ass who made things personal where they didn't need to be with both your posts I can't help you.

Not to mention taking ANY pleasure/glee/eagerness in being an I told you so the day after a brutal loss by your 'team' shows misplaced priorities. If the Devils ever lost a brutal finals to the Sharks I'm not going on the board the next morning to tell anyone who criticized DeBoer to suck it and put big boy pants on.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Rex is a great defensive mind.. and an even better motivator. He's a good teacher, and more importantly.. a good man. I'm glad he found a team that appreciates him. And if you think I'm less of a Jets fan because of that, so be it. I know where I stand with this team. I could care less what other think of my fandom.

fair enough

He is a Jets fan, just trying to be fair and seeing the situation for what it is. 

..he knows me. He's breakin' balls. :P

Your point earlier on yesterday being a chink is Bowles armor was valid. I still believe in the guy, but my God.. not kicking the FG. Brutal. He got outcoached yesterday, but he's still very green. If you include his short time in Miami, that's still only 12 games worth of exp. as a Head Coach. Hopefully he can learn from yesterdays gaffes, and build upon the overall program of the season.

Like I said before; last night didn't kill the Jets season.. it just set us back. Had we have won yesterday, a playoff birth would've been almost locked-up. Now.. not so much.

Edited by Beezer34

While we're piling on Bowles, another thing that raised my eyebrows this morning...the kid Mauldin who had two sacks this week was in on eight snaps this week.  EIGHT.  Granted they were playing Sheldon at OLB for whatever reason, I guess to keep an eye on Taylor but still you'd think two sacks in a game would earn you a little more playing time.  

Some people are also getting on Bowles for not going for two at 22-9 where a two-pointer puts you within an 8 and a 3 instead of just kicking the XP and still being two TD's back, but to me twenty minutes left is still too early to worry about two points unless you're actually down by two, I give Bowles a pass on 'that' one.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not feeling terribly optimistic about the Texans on the road Sunday. Holding Cincy to 6 points...that win really gave them a shot in the arm and now they (justifiably so) think they can steal that division.

That said, other than Watt and Hopkins, we're better than Houston everywhere. And TJ Yates shouldn't scare anybody.

Any given week in the NFL.  I think that game said a little more about Cincinnati than Houston, though there's always a little overreaction to a game like last night's.  Any outcome of the Jets-Texans game wouldn't come as a major surprise (except a blowout on either side). 

Earth to Todd it's okay to light these guys up once in a while when they're playing like trash you know?  Or actually bench people for inefficiency (here's looking at you Cro)?

Parcells was literally the only Jets coach in the last 25 years that ever held anyone accountable.  For the pluses Herm and Rex had as coaches discipline was never their strong suit (although Herm did at least discipline people for off-field stuff like Abraham).  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Bowles is a nothing JAG coach. Uninspiring and doesnt coach D as well as Rex. Starting to look like the guy who is leading Atlanta was our guy

I've seen enough of Bowles. I would sh!tcan him after year one...though they never will. We will never win anything with him. NEVER.

Team is done. Season is over.

Dan Quinn...that's the guy.

Bowles is a nothing JAG coach. Uninspiring and doesnt coach D as well as Rex. Starting to look like the guy who is leading Atlanta was our guy

I've seen enough of Bowles. I would sh!tcan him after year one...though they never will. We will never win anything with him. NEVER.

Team is done. Season is over.

Dan Quinn...that's the guy.

Sadly that may well go down like a Browning Nagle-Brett Favre type watershed moment.  And honestly it wasn't really the Jets' fault either time (though they could have traded up in the draft to get Favre).  If the Jets had their druthers Quinn would be the HC but he preferred Atlanta with good reason, because they have a freaking QB and Julio Jones who isn't the nutcase Marshall is.  

Devin Smith. This team does a wonderful time drafting guys who CANT CATCH THE BALL.

That was supposed to be his damn forte too, catching the deep ball :rant:

Edited by NJDevs4978

This team is just so poorly coached it's mindboggling.  How do you POSSIBLY get a false start penalty on a play called right out of the two-minute warning?!  Or a delay of game on a play after a timeout defensively.  Not to mention all the times they left Watt in a one-on-one on third down.