Brian Gionta and other possibilities

2ELIAS6

Someone has to go, because that team is due for a big correction next year - they're a disaster defensively.  They have no depth there at all.  O'Reilly needs to be qualified at $6.5M per - that might be the guy who goes.  I'd obviously rather deal O'Reilly (even though he won't likely return his true value because of that high QO unless that team can talk to him about a long-term deal beforehand) and re-sign Stastny, but yeah, they are going to get slaughtered by someone out West and then perhaps they'll see.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the free agent pool is thin this year (as it usually is) and big budget teams like Toronto are looking for a #1 center too. I'm guessing they go all in on Stastny if he's available. Let's hope his dad really liked it here.

Toronto doesn't have the cap space.

This team needs a whole first line. Our Jagr-Zajac-XYZ line was good but has to be considered one of the weakest in the NHL. We don't know if Jagr will be back. What will the first line look like after that? I think this team desperately needs Vanek or find a way to acquire an elite goal scorer.

Would Larsson and a pick be suitable for O'Reily?

If he was signed, maybe. Just to trade for ROR's rights, I wouldn't give up on Larsson. I'd rather just throw a pick at Col for that, not sure what kind of pick would be needed to do that though. I don't have the memory of some on this board so maybe someone could remind us what has been traded for a player's rights in the past few seasons.

Would Larsson and a pick be suitable for O'Reily?

After his last contact holdout with Colorado (that got pretty ugly IIRC) I don't know if he's someone I'd even want to pursue.

Larsson is still controlled for a few years yet.. Not sure about the UFA status of ROR but if he's set to go unrestricted anytime soon I'd be wary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No disrespect to B. Gionta, but no thanks. He's going to want to finish out his career wherever he goes. Patty will be 38 next year. We need to start getting some youth here. Boucher may need another year of seasoning as well as Matteau. Aside from Sislo (hopefully 2nd/3rd liner) will prove decent.

We have some decent D men we might could dangle. 

I am a Brian Gionta fan. I've long felt that Brent Sutter misused him toward the end of Brian's tenure with the Devs. And now, every time I watch a Canadiens playoff game and see them having success with him wearing the "C," I feel proud knowing the Devils helped make him the leader he is.

That being said, because of his age, I'm not longing to bring him back, although it wouldn't bother me one bit if he did return.

I agree that we need young scorers much more so than a player of his type.

According to capgeek they'll have around 22 million to spend on the off season with 11 spots to fill.

http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs

We look to have around 20 million with 8 spots to fill.

http://capgeek.com/devils

All of Toronto's UFAs are critical pieces.  They don't have any forward depth in the minors so if those forward UFAs leave, Toronto will have to replace them with something.  Then next year they will have to give Bernier a large contract as well as Nazem Kadri.  It doesn't look like Toronto can be the highest bidder even if it looks like they have lots of room.

The Devils have Brodeur who they can replace for 1/4th the cost and Zidlicky who they can replace internally to some degree, saving a fair bit of money.  Toronto doesn't really have something like that.

I say we trade for Malkin!

I doubt Moulson would be obtainable. Something tells me either A) Lou doesn't think he's a Devils type player or B) Moulson has no interest in coming here. Would be great to get a bona fide first liner, but I'm 98% sure we'll get mostly roster fillers and Brian Gionta this off-season.

Maybe I am wrong but doesn't Moulson excel only when he has a top-flight center with him?  While Zajac is very good I do not think he would get the same production out of him as he did with Tavares.

+1.  I just have a feeling that Vrbata will be our biggest pickup this offseason.  I like Stastny, but I don't see him landing here.

Moulson had 11 goals (29 points) in 44 games this year with Buffalo. Not great, but not terrible considering Buffalo's offence was worse than ours. Not sure who was centering him, but you can do worse than Zajac and Jagr. A goal scorer might actually make them even better.

I haven't seen Vrbata play much. His numbers are good, but as others point out that doesn't always tell the whole story.

I wonder if Kane (Evander) can't be had* from Winnipeg for Gelinas + Boucher/Matteau. 

* remember this is the GM who thinks Pavelec is a good goalie

Winnipeg has plenty of defense.  They're moving Byfuglien to forward because they think they have so much D.  I don't see it.

Moulson had 11 goals (29 points) in 44 games this year with Buffalo. Not great, but not terrible considering Buffalo's offence was worse than ours. Not sure who was centering him, but you can do worse than Zajac and Jagr. A goal scorer might actually make them even better.

I haven't seen Vrbata play much. His numbers are good, but as others point out that doesn't always tell the whole story.

He had 23g/28a in 75 games. Why exclude them?

No interest in Gionta, I want to get younger not older....

I wonder if Kane (Evander) can't be had* from Winnipeg for Gelinas + Boucher/Matteau. 

* remember this is the GM who thinks Pavelec is a good goalie

I think I heard Kane might be released if they cannot trade him, attitude issues are the rumor??

I love Kane and would be excited to get him hear...

I think I heard Kane might be released if they cannot trade him, attitude issues are the rumor??

yeah its been talked about a lot here. I'd love him here if he can behave

A player of Kane's level won't be released.

The CBA doesn't allow releases like in football. He'd have to be bought out.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Moulson is going to get overpaid. He's essentially a Ryder with some better play off the puck and better skating. But his shot isn't as good.

I don't see him as a great fit here or for value.