Adam Larsson interview w/ hometown newspaper

Marshall

Does this happen to any other team? Honestly? Why is it always us?

Sure.  Alex Burmistrov left the Jets to play in the KHL.  Alex Radulov left the Predators to play in the KHL.

This is posturing.  And yes Larsson would be a year closer to UFA if he played in the SEL, but that would be an insane move.

EDIT:  Oh - haha, Chere is just going off the stupid translation of the Swedish interview, with absolutely no basis to back it up.  LOL at you guys for taking that garbage seriously.

Edited by Triumph

Sure. Alex Burmistrov left the Jets to play in the KHL. Alex Radulov left the Predators to play in the KHL.

This is posturing. And yes Larsson would be a year closer to UFA if he played in the SEL, but that would be an insane move.

EDIT: Oh - haha, Chere is just going off the stupid translation of the Swedish interview, with absolutely no basis to back it up. LOL at you guys for taking that garbage seriously.

The article says rumors were swirling at the GM meetings. I know there was a dodgy Swedish source that mentioned it, but it seems like Chere was going on something different, unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The article says rumors were swirling at the GM meetings. I know there was a dodgy Swedish source that mentioned it, but it seems like Chere was going on something different, unless I'm missing something.

You are missing that Chere is a linkbait generating hack playing off the fears of Devils fans.

You are missing that Chere is a linkbait generating hack playing off the fears of Devils fans.

I remember when Chere was a pretty straight shooter when it came towards reporting about the Devils.

I guess he has to resort more and more to linkbaiting every year as the SL/nj.com's financial issues intesify.

I doubt he's leaving but I wouldn't blame him if he did. From not taking any performance bonus in his ELC to having to go down to the AHL this year which cost him a lot of money ($925k NHL Salary vs. $70k AHL Salary), he's probably irritated. I'm not sure how much of a performance bonus he missed out on but the pick before him, Huberdeau, got $2.3M/yr, and the pick after him, Strome, got $850k/yr. TG said in the past his cap hit would've been around $3M with the bonus so maybe Larsson missed out on a performance bonus in the range of $1.8-2M/yr. Then again, I don't know what he would've had to do to trigger those.

Like I said earlier, I would be shocked if he isn't in NJ next year, but I don't blame him for playing hardball if he has to.

I doubt he's leaving but I wouldn't blame him if he did. From not taking any performance bonus in his ELC to having to go down to the AHL this year which cost him a lot of money ($925k NHL Salary vs. $70k AHL Salary), he's probably irritated. I'm not sure how much of a performance bonus he missed out on but the pick before him, Huberdeau, got $2.3M/yr, and the pick after him, Strome, got $850k/yr. TG said in the past his cap hit would've been around $3M with the bonus so maybe Larsson missed out on a performance bonus in the range of $1.8-2M/yr. Then again, I don't know what he would've had to do to trigger those.

Like I said earlier, I would be shocked if he isn't in NJ next year, but I don't blame him for playing hardball if he has to.

I would blame him.  This is the NHL, the most competitive league in the world.  Larsson isn't setting the world on fire.  He would've only triggered a games played bonus in year 1, all other bonuses he would've fallen way short on, because he hasn't shown very much yet.  He has a potentially $50 million dollar career if he gets his head on straight, why worry about some stupid bonuses and go cry back to Sweden?

He was a 19 year old kid making almost a million dollars a year.  Imagine you are 19 and have a million dollars - what can you possibly do with that much money?  Does it make sense to buy a house?  No, because you're 19 and what 19 year old needs a house?  You can buy yourself a really nice car and live in a great apartment, if you like.  It's hard to imagine many athletes in that spot worrying about how much money they are making, especially the son of a pro athlete.

Edited by Triumph

He really wasn't doing the Devils any favors for not taking the bonus money. Even without it, it's a lot more money than he would have gotten in Sweden.

I would blame him.  This is the NHL, the most competitive league in the world.  Larsson isn't setting the world on fire.  He would've only triggered a games played bonus in year 1, all other bonuses he would've fallen way short on, because he hasn't shown very much yet.  He has a potentially $50 million dollar career if he gets his head on straight, why worry about some stupid bonuses and go cry back to Sweden?

He was a 19 year old kid making almost a million dollars a year.  Imagine you are 19 and have a million dollars - what can you possibly do with that much money?  Does it make sense to buy a house?  No, because you're 19 and what 19 year old needs a house?  You can buy yourself a really nice car and live in a great apartment, if you like.  It's hard to imagine many athletes in that spot worrying about how much money they are making, especially the son of a pro athlete.

I hear what you are saying, my point about the money isn't so much about what he made/could make but that he may just be irked a bit with the way things have gone. Of course he can earn a lot, lot more over here. Ignore the bonus, just this last year he lost a good bit of money having to play in the AHL when he shouldn't have been there. Even though he is already rich, I'm sure it's not a pleasant feeling.

But from another angle - he is a kid living halfway around the world and stuck with a coach that clearly doesn't think highly of him. I can see how that can be mentally draining. In general, sometimes I feel as fans, we don't realize how hard it can be for some of the European guys to come over and play here. Yeah they make a lot of money, but there is a mental aspect to it that can be hard for some guys, especially when things aren't going well.

But like I said before, I seriously doubt he goes back to Sweden.

I hear what you are saying, my point about the money isn't so much about what he made/could make but that he may just be irked a bit with the way things have gone. Of course he can earn a lot, lot more over here. Ignore the bonus, just this last year he lost a good bit of money having to play in the AHL when he shouldn't have been there. Even though he is already rich, I'm sure it's not a pleasant feeling.

But from another angle - he is a kid living halfway around the world and stuck with a coach that clearly doesn't think highly of him. I can see how that can be mentally draining. In general, sometimes I feel as fans, we don't realize how hard it can be for some of the European guys to come over and play here. Yeah they make a lot of money, but there is a mental aspect to it that can be hard for some guys, especially when things aren't going well.

Add in the players he has been close with...Tedenby, Urbom, Josefson. A lot of talking. A lot of bitterness. 

Add in the players he has been close with...Tedenby, Urbom, Josefson. A lot of talking. A lot of bitterness. 

Throw Tallinder into that mix too lmao...yeah he's not a prospect but he was supposed to be a mentor to the younger Swedes and he was as bitter as anyone when he left.

I tend to agree with this. The Swedish contingent must have an email chain going Sh!t talking the devils and deboer. Yes, they are professional, but they are also human. 

I mean, I'm sure, but that's just stuff you have to fight through to become an NHL player.  I don't see where the coach doesn't think highly of him - I see a lot of quotes from DeBoer praising Larsson.  When Larsson was a healthy scratch early in the season, he deserved it.  He was not playing well at all.  And DeBoer said - Larsson looked great at training camp and is not playing well enough to stay in the lineup, and he was absolutely right.  It's the coach's job to make sure the best 18 skaters are dressed every night.  Then Gelinas and Merrill come up and play just as well as Larsson if not better and he has to earn his stripes in the AHL. 

Larsson wants to be on the NHL team next year and he will be, but all his playing time will be earned.  Leave aside the Salvadors of the world, that's not who he's competing against for ice time.  He's got to show he's as good as a guy like Mark Fayne and other than brief stretches in his NHL career he has not done that.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

I mean, I'm sure, but that's just stuff you have to fight through to become an NHL player.  I don't see where the coach doesn't think highly of him - I see a lot of quotes from DeBoer praising Larsson.  When Larsson was a healthy scratch early in the season, he deserved it.  He was not playing well at all.  And DeBoer said - Larsson looked great at training camp and is not playing well enough to stay in the lineup, and he was absolutely right.  It's the coach's job to make sure the best 18 skaters are dressed every night.  Then Gelinas and Merrill come up and play just as well as Larsson if not better and he has to earn his stripes in the AHL. 

Larsson wants to be on the NHL team next year and he will be, but all his playing time will be earned.  Leave aside the Salvadors of the world, that's not who he's competing against for ice time.

In theory all of this is right, but we damn well know the best 18 skaters and goalie were not on the ice very often.

It's amazing how one comment about speaking to your hometown team ignites this fear firestorm. Why doesn't anyone think these players are willing to work hard and earn their way into the NHL? Why are we all assuming that he must be upset and can't wait to leave because the didn't get 82 NHL games a year the second he showed up at camp? Larsson has worked hard for what he has and he doesn't seem like he feels entitled to anything.

Throw Tallinder into that mix too lmao...yeah he's not a prospect but he was supposed to be a mentor to the younger Swedes and he was as bitter as anyone when he left.

Yeah, but Tallinder couldn't play his way out of a paper bag around the time he started having problems.  There was a reason he was a healthy scratch, but no-one, including Tallinder would have expected the young defensemen to start pushing their way into the lineup such as Fayne and maybe Harrold, who essentially performed similar roles as Tallinder. 

Well sure, but this is true of every NHL team.  Every single one.  

Yup, but my point is that it wasn't just Larsson disappointed with his situation. It's his best friends getting scratched or benched for anyone and anybody being called up from Albany. You could make a case that all 3 of them were rightfully scratched or given limited minutes, but it be just as easy to say it was a little ridiculous. When they are all together hanging out on the road or at home, which one do you think it is?

Anyway, TG does some real reporting and clears it all up. Thanks Tom for not giving into the clickbait world we live in,

Yeah, but Tallinder couldn't play his way out of a paper bag around the time he started having problems.  There was a reason he was a healthy scratch, but no-one, including Tallinder would have expected the young defensemen to start pushing their way into the lineup such as Fayne and maybe Harrold, who essentially performed similar roles as Tallinder. 

I can't blame Tallinder for being upset, I don't think he was fairly scratched in 2012-13. His numbers certainly weren't bad. He went from being the best D on the 2011-12 team (before injury) and mentoring Fayne into a solid NHL D to getting scratched while the likes of Harrold, Volchenkov and Salvador got to play. He got scratched one time after the Devils gave up 5, while only being on the ice for 1 goal.

I'm fine with what happened to Urbom and Tedenby - they clearly weren't NHL players. But I hate the way Larsson and Josefson have been handled.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Whats terrible about being scratch here for them is not like "oh im scratch, i know i've been playing real bad" it HAS to be at some extend eventhough they'd never say it out loud... "Why the fvck am i sitting and that guy and that guy are in the lineup?!?" 

I'd certainly think like that if i was them anyway