Official License plates for NJ Devils!

DevilMinder

My son was driving my car which has the Devils license plate frame. He got pulled over by a Suffolk County Cop (NY) and he was scared trying to figure out what he did. Cop gave him a hard time about the plate, telling him it was illegal. Then before he lets him go, he added "Besides they suck anyway." This was back in July. He had to be a Rangers fan.

I got pulled over back in maybe '03 when I lived in Warwick NY, and while I didn't get a ticket, the cop pointed at the Devils winter coat I was wearing and said "Too bad I can't give you a ticket for that". I think I said "someone has to root for them" or something, but that's what you get up there. It's not much better down in South Jersey with the Flyers fans, honestly.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got pulled over back in maybe '03 when I lived in Warwick NY, and while I didn't get a ticket, the cop pointed at the Devils winter coat I was wearing and said "Too bad I can't give you a ticket for that". I think I said "someone has to root for them" or something, but that's what you get up there. It's not much better down in South Jersey with the Flyers fans, honestly.

My dad got pulled over in Princeton (not even real Flyers territory) earlier this year and the cop told him it was because his Devils license plate holder was partially obstructing the name of the state on the license plate. Which it was. Because the words "New Jersey" were being covered up by "New Jersey" on the plate holder. Apparently he told him it was illegal and my dad nearly took him seriously until he made some stupid Flyers comment.

Why? It seems it would be pretty easy to emboss - or whatever you call it. Are all new designs getting cheaped out on? or does anything Devils just have to suck from it's inception? Honest I'm curious why you'd assume the same product would be designed differently. Not arguing just curious why we thought two different things.

Why? It seems it would be pretty easy to emboss - or whatever you call it. Are all new designs getting cheaped out on? or does anything Devils just have to suck from it's inception? Honest I'm curious why you'd assume the same product would be designed differently. Not arguing just curious why we thought two different things.

I believe I saw some other plates that were just printed on that looked the same. Also because the logo is red makes me think it will be printed. All of the embossed ones I can recall were black....I guess they could make it embossed and red, but I can not remember seeing something like that. And yes, EVERYTHING is "cheaped out on" these days...or so it seems.

I believe I saw some other plates that were just printed on that looked the same. Also because the logo is red makes me think it will be printed. All of the embossed ones I can recall were black....I guess they could make it embossed and red, but I can not remember seeing something like that. And yes, EVERYTHING is "cheaped out on" these days...or so it seems.

Ahh -- so is the new Rutgers R just printed?

Nice! Looking forward to ordering one! Looks like the most letters you can use is 5 or will it be 6 letters?

The only reason I would be hesitant to get one is just to not give any reason to some drunk moron to fvck with my car.

May have just changed my mind now. lol. You make a very good valid point SH. Not getting one now. Can imagine a Flyers or Rangers fan keying up or destroying your car.

Are these things really $60 extra a year? It's not like...a flat fee?

Its a one time fee of $60, plus $60 a year on top of registration fees. Customizing is another $50. I think that is a one time fee. Keep in mind, this is for the Nascar plates. I don't see why these would be any different...

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/SportsPlates.htm

Saw this along the lines of what 3CUPS was saying.

Sports-themed plates offer a way to minimize losses, he added, because they let MVC experiment with a digital printing technology that 20 other states are using instead of the old practice of embossing and inking each plate with raised letters.

Link

$60 to get the plate and $60 per year seems a little steep.

yeah that's the reason i never seriously considered getting custom or vanity plates. the one time fee is one thing, but i'm not paying fees every year on top of my registration just to have them. if it was a one time $60 fee for the processing and creation of the plates and transferring the records over to the new plate number, fine, but i'm not paying a fee every year just to have a special set of plates. If I could have, I would have brought my old plates to my new car and saved the cost of the new plates. oh well. i try to avoid extra fees whenever possible.