2011 NFL Thread

MadDog2020

You'd have to be a moron not to see that Moss had become a serious detriment to the Pats by the time he was dealt. He was hardly even trying at that point, and had become a complete no-factor. Whatever magic he had enjoyed during his Pat run had clearly run out.

Why does Ocho have a bigger chip on his shoulder than Moss? Because YOU say so? And so what if he's 4 inches smaller? That isn't the be-all, end-all way to measure receivers. And you also don't know if he has chemistry or not with Brady. No one will until they actually play together.

That being said, I readily admit I don't get bringing in Ocho at all. I don't like it, just like I didn't like Moss coming in. The Pats did get more out of Moss than I ever expected, so who knows. But I can't say I'm hopeful about Ocho.

This signing was a panic move CR, simple as that..

..it was New England's way of saying: "We need to prepare ourselves for (if and when) Asomugha signs with the Jets".

Randy's size is a factor, because it complimented the receivers around him. Adding a 6 foot Chad Johnson, next to a 5'10 Deion Branch and 5'9 Wes Welker, doesn't really add the versatility of a tandem, when competing against corners 6 foot and up.

And as far as chemistry goes.. your first preseason game is a week and a half away, and you have ⅓ of a training camp to work with. (thanks to the lockout) I think it's safe to say it'll take Mr. Johnson some time to get acclimated with the Patriot playbook.. let alone chemistry with Brady.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..it was New England's way of saying: "We need to prepare ourselves for (if and when) Asomugha signs with the Jets".

Randy's size is a factor, because it complimented the receivers around him. Adding a 6 foot Chad Johnson, next to a 5'10 Deion Branch and 5'9 Wes Welker, doesn't really add the versatility of a tandem, when competing against corners 6 foot and up.

And as far as chemistry goes.. your first preseason game is a week and a half away, and you have ⅓ of a training camp to work with. (thanks to the lockout) I think it's safe to say it'll take Mr. Johnson some time to get acclimated with the Patriot playbook.. let alone chemistry with Brady.

Oh give me a break. I'm not even a Pats fan and I respect the hell out of what they are doing. They bring in two of the top talents at the game because they can. If the Jets could have brought either of these guys in without blowing up the locker room you bet your ass they would. I think Chad just has a much worse rep than his actions show, he's a goofball who says stupid things and people make him out to be an a$$hole.

Bottom line, anytime you have an opportunity to bring in talent like that, you do it.

I'm really bummed about the Ochocinco trade, he was one of my favorite players but now I have to hate him since he's on the Patriots.

lol ditto.

Eh I really think it has nothing to do with any move the Jets may or may not make, it's more about the fact they wanted another threat at the WR position after Moss reached his expiration date with Welker not the same post-injury last year. Funny thing is they used to go with no-names in Brady's early years but it cost them in 2006 against the Colts and they've been stockpiling talent at receiver ever since.

I am actually surprised they didn't wait a little and try to poach Braylon, since if we sign Aso he's basically gone and already showing bitterness he's not our first priority.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Actually very glad the Patriots didn't go after Braylon Edwards; he's incredibly overrated. I think Jets fans saw that last season. Streaky as hell, and seems to have dead-hands at times. Patriots also have young WRs they're hoping to see break out this season (Brandon Tate, Taylor Price) and I'm sure they want to make sure they get their snaps, too.

Oh give me a break. I'm not even a Pats fan and I respect the hell out of what they are doing. They bring in two of the top talents at the game because they can. If the Jets could have brought either of these guys in without blowing up the locker room you bet your ass they would. I think Chad just has a much worse rep than his actions show, he's a goofball who says stupid things and people make him out to be an a$$hole.

Bottom line, anytime you have an opportunity to bring in talent like that, you do it.

That's Beez's MO...everything revolves around the Jets; he looks at everything through green and white glasses...never any objectivity. The whole chemistry thing is a perfect example...are the Patriots the only team that will have to implement a new star player into their scheme? Of course, if this were the Jets making this move, he wouldn't say a word about shortened training camps, lack of chemistry, etc.

My concerns going in are Ocho's age and attitude. I've seen Brady work with a number of receivers throughout his career and flourish with many of them, so I'm not worried about the chemistry part. Ocho's saying all of the right things now, and so is BB, but who knows what any of that will mean come the first half of any given game, where he might see only two balls thrown his way due to the opponent's game plan taking him out of the game. Will he quit and/or shut down, like Moss did? Start sulking? Moss was a notorious frontrunner, and I see Ocho being cut from that same cloth.

One last thought...can it really be considered a "panic move" if the Pats only gave up a 5th and 6th round pick to get him? If it was a 3rd and a 4th or something like that I could understand that viewpoint, but it seems more like what insanity_gallops referred to before: BB and Co thinking, "What the hell, we know he has talent, it's not costing us much to get him, he knows his window to win a SB is closing, maybe he comes here and we get something out of him." I still don't love it, but it definitely doesn't come off as a panic move.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Actually very glad the Patriots didn't go after Braylon Edwards; he's incredibly overrated. I think Jets fans saw that last season. Streaky as hell, and seems to have dead-hands at times. Patriots also have young WRs they're hoping to see break out this season (Brandon Tate, Taylor Price) and I'm sure they want to make sure they get their snaps, too.

Braylon did have a very good year last year though, and actually cut out the drops. Pretty much his only real blemish was that off-field mess with the DWI. It was more the year before where he was meh and inconsistent with us on the field.

But I guess the concern with him would be that he could go off the reservation again once he got another big money deal.

Well Aso and the Eagles pulled a fast one over on everyone in the eleventh hour (5 years, 60 million)...why the **** did it take him three days to sign THAT deal?!

Just bring back Cro and Edwards, I've had enough of this nonsense. I was actually amused by this dramatic twist until the Parise stuff.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Cro's admitted he's a merc anyway, the only good news is he did wait this long and Aso's contract lessens the price for the secondary corners marginally.

It is amazing, as Evan Roberts pointed out how similar this was to the Cliff Lee scenario last year when you had NY and Texas teams bidding on him with the NY team favored to sign him until a 'mystery' team swooped out of the shadows from Philly and landed him for less money.

What's the benefit of spending 10m+ (one of those 3) to shut down a slot reciever? I'd have to assume Samuel is on the move.

Well the Eagles do have to deal with the Cowboys (Bryant, Austin, Witten/third WR) and Giants (Nicks, Manningham, Smith/Burress?) in the division and lost to the Packers in the playoffs with their great WR core so clearly they felt they needed to strengthen that area.

Edited by NJDevs4978

As a Patriots fan, I miss having Asante Samuel on the field. Man, did he show up for big games.

Patriots have been desperately filling that void with plug-ins ever since. Check out how many CBs they've drafted since they lost Samuel. Granted, Devin McCourty looks like they finally got the real deal, Kyle Arrington has stepped up his game, and there are high hopes for Ras-I Dowling (just drafted)... but since Samuel left, they'd tried Deltha O'Neal, Jonathan Wilhite, Ellis Hobbs, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Shawn Springs... yeesh.

Patriots did it once with letting Lawyer Malloy walk and watching Ty Law just crank it out, then even managed to do it again with letting Law walk (after he was hurt) and Samuel stepping it up... guess it's time to see if they can do it for a third time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Star-WR-Randy-Moss-decides-to-retire-after-13-seasons-080111?GT1=39002

Can't say this surprises me much...his heart didn't seem in it from his first play last season, and once he realized what he lost with NE, he seemed to lose interest even further. I have a feeling he's not 100% done though...once the season starts up, he's going to want to play again...he can still be a good player when he wants to be...it's just not often enough.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Star-WR-Randy-Moss-decides-to-retire-after-13-seasons-080111?GT1=39002

Can't say this surprises me much...his heart didn't seem in it from his first play last season, and once he realized what he lost with NE, he seemed to lose interest even further. I have a feeling he's not 100% done though...once the season starts up, he's going to want to play again...he can still be a good player when he wants to be...it's just not often enough.

Moss will sign with the first decent team to lose a WR. Book that.

Fins re-signed Jason Taylor. I'm very happy with that move. We needed a situational pass rusher, and JT can still chip in around 5-6 sacks easy. Plus he returns home and retires a Dolphin, as he should.

..you got yourselves a great player back today MD.

I loved having Jason, and I'm very disappointed he's gone. He was a complete professional for the Jets.

..you got yourselves a great player back today MD.

I loved having Jason, and I'm very disappointed he's gone. He was a complete professional for the Jets.

Without his sack and safety in that Pittsburgh game, the Jets may not make the playoffs last year. So that kills me to say, but he did contribute for you guys. I'm very happy to have him back. I wasn't expecting it at all.

The Jets released Cotchery. Looks like Derrick Mason is coming in to replace him.

I'm sick over this. A complete disgrace! The entire organization should be ashamed of themselves.

Cotchery was a complete pro his entire career. He embodied how ever NFL player should behave and conduct themselves (both on and off the field) and this is the thanks he gets after 8 years?! Disgusting!

EDIT: So the Jets replace a 29 year old Cotchery.. 28 year old Braylon.. and 27 year old B. Smith --with-- 37 year old Derrick Mason, and a 34 Plaxico Burress who hasn't played NFL ball in 2 years!?

Edited by Beezer34

I'm sick over this. A complete disgrace! The entire organization should be ashamed of themselves.

Cotchery was a complete pro his entire career. He embodied how ever NFL player should behave and conduct themselves (both on and off the field) and this is the thanks he gets after 8 years?! Disgusting!

EDIT: So the Jets replace a 29 year old Cotchery.. 28 year old Braylon.. and 27 year old B. Smith --with-- 37 year old Derrick Mason, and a 34 Plaxico Burress who hasn't played NFL ball in 2 years!?

If the Dolphins are smart, they may wanna give Cotchery a call. We need another WR, and I've always liked Cotchery's game. He is a pro's pro. The play he made in Cleveland last year while hurt was one of the best plays I've seen in a long time. I'd be pissed if I were you too Beez. I hope your loss can be our gain (like Pennington :P).

Edited by MadDog2020

I was mystified as to why we were so gung-ho on getting rid of Cotchery too, but it turns out (via Rex) he asked for a trade or release, which the Jets granted. Most likely he didn't want to be the #3 receiver again and was probably annoyed he was asked to take a pay cut too. Still it's too bad, and as much of a pro as Mason is - provided we do sign him - having our #2/3 receivers on the wrong side of 34, along with a #2 RB that's also on the wrong side of 30 is asking for trouble.

If the Dolphins are smart, they may wanna give Cotchery a call. We need another WR, and I've always liked Cotchery's game. He is a pro's pro. The play he made in Cleveland last year while hurt was one of the best plays I've seen in a long time. I'd be pissed if I were you too Beez. I hope your loss can be our gain (like Pennington :P).

heh, you guys might be placing a call to Mr. Favre sometimes soon...but yea Cotchery would be a tremendous addition, to the dolphins or any other club

I am disgusted as well with the way Jerricho was treated. Completely cast aside like yesterdays trash...no wonder he asked out! We are asking for trouble at WR...suppose Plax can't get into proper football shape after so much time in Prison, we're screwed! Wouldn't shock me if he's hampered by nagging hamstring or muscle pull injuries throughout the entire season.

It's all about money though. I believe we save what? 3 mil in cap space?

Edited by '7'

The Cotchery move is baffling. He was popular with the team, he was a loyal soldier and a good citizen.

Mason is a great replacement, but is much older and will not have the type of bond that Cotchery did with the rest of the team.

If the Fins were smart they would grab him immediately as he would be the perfect compliment for Marshall.

I am starting to get the sense that Woody is learning from Daniel Synder about making bad football decisions for your team.

Speaking of the Fins:

Sparano jumped to Henne’s defense Wednesday, calling the chants “sick” in an unusually sharp-tongued display from a coach who tends to be mild-mannered in interview sessions. On Thursday, he lauded Henne again, saying he’s the team’s No. 1 quarterback despite Miami’s recent signing of Matt Moore(notes), most recently of Carolina.

Then Sparano was asked if the team would rule out any possibility of adding Favre, and the coach seemed to know even the mere mention of the 41-year-old oft-retired quarterback would make news. Almost grudgingly, he answered anyway.

Henne gets booed by Dolphin Fans