Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Stewart could be a great pickup here. I'm an avid Semin supporter as well, but I don't think it'll happen in NJ. SMantzas's post is the lineup of my dreams, but I don't think Semin's contract will look anything like that.

Also, what about the Wild as a trade partner? Right now, my instinct says I want to be no part of anything that makes their team better, but aside from Suter, I'm under the impression that their D needs some work. They have a couple decent prospects that may be good for NJ. Who knows how cheap Setoguchi would be, too. Although I bet they aren't willing to get rid of him,

Edited by nessus

I agree that Stewart could be a great pickup here. I'm an avid Semin supporter as well, but I don't think it'll happen in NJ. SMantzas's post is the lineup of my dreams, but I don't think Semin's contract will look anything like that.

Also, what about the Wild as a trade partner? Right now, my instinct says I want to be no part of anything that makes their team better, but aside from Suter, I'm under the impression that their D needs some work. They have a couple decent prospects that may be good for NJ. Who knows how cheap Setoguchi would be, too. Although I bet they aren't willing to get rid of him,

Screw them, tampering punks!

I'll be surprised if Lou makes a move at this point. I think he's going to see what he has with his coaching changes and go from there. I would like to see Urbom get a shot out of camp which would mean moving 2 d but that's very unlikely. Perhaps, if he blows everyone away in camp... If there is a camp?

I was thinking about this the other day - and another day, and on a different day, and for several other days when there's been little else to consider for the Devils. It's been brought up before in different threads, so if I'm repeating sentiments from other places, I apologize... just can't keep track with all these overlapping threads.

Edmonton dealing Hemsky would be a nice quick-fix, except that he's always injured and Tambellini (think I said Lowe in another thread, whoops!) implied he wouldn't move him. As the CBC 30 thoughts guy (sorry, name escapes me) brought up the other week, Edmonton is messing around with creating dynamic pairings, allowing them to move guys up and down the lineup for balance, including Yakupov who could play his off-wing to clear up some of the RW logjam with Eberle and Hemsky.

I'm not sold on Pajaarvi, but I understand the intrigue. Just not psyched about dealing away a sure thing in Greene for him, but hey, that's how trades work.

St. Louis has been the team I keep coming back to. Berglund would be a very nice pickup as a potential long-term fix and project-player. If the Devils acquired him, NJ could have centers in Zajac, Henrique, Berglund, and Josefson for the foreseeable future... and that's serious depth. Could always shift him to the wing, too, and he's more than capable of being a top-six forward when his game is going well.

Stewart's another interesting player because he's coming off an atrocious season. When he was with Colorado, he was a beast, which continued in his short stint at the end of the previous season in St. Louis. This last year was horrible, though. Question is whether Stewart can regain top-six form, or if he's a third-line guy from here on out. Another gamble, but worth it.

The only other team I thought about was the Hurricanes. They're not super deep at forward, but could potentially deal Chad LaRose to upgrade at defense. LaRose for Greene straight up wouldn't thrill me since LaRose is an upcoming UFA, and I doubt Carolina wants to get rid of him, but wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Really nice work Tri.

It be tough to work out a deal with Toronto just because of all the BS Burke says overrating every player he has. The Leafs really need an upgrade on defense though. So do the Blues, but I doubt they are ready to trade Stewart just yet or Berglund.

Oilers have always seemed like a good trade partner. Those are the two guys I have thought of as well. I do wonder if Tambellini is going to give up on his 1st ever draft pick as GM already even if there doesn't seem to be room for him.

He is, and I looked at Montreal and couldn't see the trade there. They just don't have enough forwards to cover for Gionta's loss IMO. Could easily be wrong, but right now that's how it looks to me.

Clarkson's shot rate was always high - his goal rate wasn't. Tedenby's problem is that he's not getting enough shots on goal, even at the AHL level. I'm not counting him out at all - he does have skills that other players simply don't and never will have - but he's got to improve by a lot.

Totally agree, and like others have touched on already, he needs to be utilized a certain way that maybe we don't know quite yet.. Similar to Zubrus along the boards, we need to find where his specific role is and I think he will flourish. Hopefully this is the year..

Really nice work Tri.

It be tough to work out a deal with Toronto just because of all the BS Burke says overrating every player he has. The Leafs really need an upgrade on defense though. So do the Blues, but I doubt they are ready to trade Stewart just yet or Berglund.

I don't think they will trade Stewart without a really good package going the other way - I think he could be traded, but not for anything the Devils can offer. As for Toronto, Burke spews a lot of BS but he's been able to work out trades. I don't see why it would be a problem. Burke and Lou have made deals in the past.

Oilers have always seemed like a good trade partner. Those are the two guys I have thought of as well. I do wonder if Tambellini is going to give up on his 1st ever draft pick as GM already even if there doesn't seem to be room for him.

There was talk of them trying to package two of those guys for a top-flight player.

iggy: I think Carolina isn't ready to give up on Larose, and I don't think I'd give up Greene for a player like that without at least a decent prospect coming back the other way. And I don't see that happening, when they just gave up a top pick and a good prospect for Staal.

Edited by Triumph

I see two things happening: 1. we go into camp with what we got (Tedenby playing in the top 9, Barch playing on the 4th line, Carter/Bernier bumped up etc.) or 2. we make a trade for a decent top 9 forward.

So..

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Tedenby-Josfeson-Bernier

Gionta-Carter-Barch

or

Kovalchuk-Zajac-TRADE/Zubrus

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus/TRADE

Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson

Gionta-Carter-Bernier

If LL does make a trade involving a defensemen I hope its Tallinder. I want Greene here and everyone else is untouchable (Larsson), has a NTC (Volchenkov, recently signed (Salvador), or has little value to actually get a top 9 forward in return (Harrold).

If we do a F/D swap I want our defense like this opening night:

Greene-Larsson

Salvador-Fayne

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

I would say there is a 60% chance we see no move and a 35% chance we see a top 9 forward trade and a 5% chance we sign Semin or make a bigger trade involving a bigger name.

Man, I don't know if I feel comfortable with that lineup.

the thing is that its a very... border line lineup to me... and if there's a few injury we might be really fvcked since there's no good replacement coming from the AHL and our scratches are terrible hockey players

the thing is that its a very... border line lineup to me... and if there's a few injury we might be really fvcked since there's no good replacement coming from the AHL and our scratches are terrible hockey players

I was originally in the status quo camp, but I keep coming back to that concern. Weirdly, the Poni loss bothers me more than Zach. We knew we might lose Zach, and I'm okay not making a knee jerk move to "replace" him, when that's just not going to happen. immediately, but right now, we're gonna have a 3rd liner on the second line AND a hole on the 3rd line, unless we break up a 4th line whose success was at least partially because they fed off each other well. 1 more guy, I relax about giving Tedenby a chance, but we need a legit top 9 (preferably top 6) forward on the roster that we don't have, and Sykora ain't it anymore.

We MUST cut a deal with the Blues! They always give us the best deals..... Tell them we'll give'm Janssen and a D-man and we could probably land half their damn team.

Don't know why they're called the Blues, dealing with them always makes me happy.

Btw, why are people writing Tedenby off so easily? This may be an Apples to Oranges comparison but people seem to forget that Sandy Koufax was a very bad pitcher for the early part of his career. It took some good coaching, and people willing to see his potential, to turn him into one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. Now I'm not saying every player is hall of fame potential, but if you write off a player every time they had a bad season or their development slowed for the year then you would lose immense amounts of talent. Not everyone is Martin Bordeur--superstar out of the womb. And even there I am being facetious.... Marty was mediocre in his first starts, should we have dumped him as well?

And no Brian Gionta. We were just out muscled by the Kings and we cannot afford--in fact no team can afford--to have two hobbits like the Gionta's skating around the ice. Yes, they play bigger than their size.... But that still only bring them up to about medium height at best. We'd get pulverized if we had both. He'll, why not bring St. Louis in as well and have an all munchkin line.

Anyway, to more seriously answer Tri- I really would like us to deal with the Blues and get Berglund. If not, let's bring Ryan home. Since I am not well educated on WC teams these are fairly ignorant preferences tho. I like what I know about these guys, so they would be my first choices. I put Berglund first only because I think he may be more realistic.... If price weren't much of an object then actually my preference would probably be Ryan .

Edited by AEWHistory

I'm all for this, if somehow you can pass this on to Lamiorello that would be great...sick of the status quo while watching every other team in the division improve

I'm sure Lou reads these boards looking for advice.... Geez, don't you know anything!

just kidding.

I feel the same way. The year we acquired Kovy would have been such a high if it weren't for the ass reaming we took by the

interNational devils Hate Legion. Otheriae, yes, it feels like every damn year I/we watch other teams get stronger and we have to watch our own talent walk away while trying to squeak by on developing our own talent from a bed of increasingly sparse and mediocre draft picks (last year being an exception).

You're about 90% guaranteed that Hemsky can't finish more than half a season.

He played almost 70 games last season. This season will say a lot about him. The two seasons prior were injury-plagued, last year he had trouble with consistency and was on a bad team. Hemsky is worth a risk provided the return isn't crazy.

If we can make a good deal, great. But, it doesnt look like we will by opening day.

I think Teddy has a good year. He will get opportunities to play with the PP and maybe the top 6 forwards at times; whereas last year he was stuck with puck-hog Clarkson every time he stepped on the ice.

it feels like every damn year I/we watch other teams get stronger and we have to watch our own talent walk away while trying to squeak by on developing our own talent from a bed of increasingly sparse and mediocre draft picks (last year being an exception).

I'd say our consistent place toward the top of the East over the past decade(s), and this past year's playoff run would hint that Lou knows what he's doing, and that teams aren't really getting "stronger". For all we know, Henrique has a 40 goal season this year and is our "next Zach", or better, and the whole "we lost Zach" bit will be null and void too. I'm cautious but optimistic about next year with the lineup we have. Pete DeBoer's system can beat any team in the league, and our players go into training camp hungrier and more familiar with the system than this time last year. Parise's a non-issue now, as is any big-name signing Lou could make but won't.

Edited by DJ Eco

Call me skeptical, but I wouldn't count on anything from Teddy this year.

If he proves me wrong, great. I'd love to see it. But I wouldn't fall into the "Well hey, the Devils don't really need to add anything because Teddy..." trap.

If he proves me wrong, great. I'd love to see it. But I wouldn't fall into the "Well hey, the Devils don't really need to add anything because Teddy..." trap.

Of course. Like I said, if we can make a good deal, then great. But, for me, Teddy should be able to hold down a spot (given hes not Clarkson's linemate) until we do so. I think he can take the awaited step forward this year.