New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

That is definitely why its taking longer than expected. Another is the obvious July 4th holiday. I expected July 1st to be very busy and then rapid slow down of the market until Monday July 5th at the earliest. I think by the end of next week you will see Kovy finalize a contract with someone. So look for the action to pick up again late Monday afternoon or definitely Tuesday once the holiday ends. I am happy with the Devils signings so far especially Volchenkov.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait, i have a mind fart. who is our third line center?

Rob Nieds :puke:

although: per Dreger: Devils apparently lost interest when Scott retired. Too bad, Rob is a good player and a good leader.

Edited by ben00rs

Robby is still signed? How would he even be on the roster w/ Jason on our team now. Zajac, Arnott Zubrus and I assume Pelley. Where would Rob fit?

Oh my bad. I thought he meant who was our 3rd line center during the season. Yea as 731 said above, Lou's ideal scenario is that Josefsen makes it that far for ext season. If things don't go according to plan you may see Zubrus move to the middle.

You also might see a cheap center signed.

Edited by ben00rs

IMO, if we hear about White or Salvador getting dealt, the Kovalchuk Staying In New Jersey announcement will be soon to follow. Until then, with each day that passes I almost feel like the KHL's case is getting stronger.

Kovalchuk is not going to the KHL. It was a PR stunt by them to wrangle up some media attention to their league. They don't have the revenues or appeal to bring in Kovy.

Kovalchuk is not going to the KHL. It was a PR stunt by them to wrangle up some media attention to their league. They don't have the revenues or appeal to bring in Kovy.

A. Let me start by saying I don't think Kovy will go to the KHL.

B. I thing DIG already understands what you said about it being a PR stunt as we all have discussed this. He was just saying that as time passes and Kovy starts to realize his stock ain't so great, he might evetually decide the KHL is the best fit for him.

C. The KHL DEFINITELY will be able to give him his biggest offer.

Edited by ben00rs

damn, i was hoping balir betts wasn't ona contract. say what you want. man is tough and is a great face off man.

and yes there are tons of problems that we have... winning the face off sometimes is most important.

idk if you want him higher than a 4th line center though. He gets exposed any higher and we already have the man, the myth the legend Rod Pelley

LeBrun: "Kings GM Dean Lombardi via email tells ESPN.com "all quiet." Sounds like the Kovalchuk drama might resume Monday but one never knows"

if he's going to sign with the KHL, he should do it tomorrow on July 4th to act like an evil Commie Russian. I'd at least find it a little amusing

I'm not liking our chances anymore. I'm actually starting to think Lou is just being used so Kovy can get what he wants from LA. I just don't have that feeling that Kovy wants to play here anymore. Still slightly hopeful but more so annoyed.

I'm not liking our chances anymore. I'm actually starting to think Lou is just being used so Kovy can get what he wants from LA. I just don't have that feeling that Kovy wants to play here anymore. Still slightly hopeful but more so annoyed.

I don't know if he's using NJ, I suspect he's looking for the most lucrative deal. And if the reports are to be believed, maybe it's the Isles ponying up the most dough. You figure he wants to get as close as possible to the Atlanta offer to save face.

I don't know if he's using NJ, I suspect he's looking for the most lucrative deal. And if the reports are to be believed, maybe it's the Isles ponying up the most dough. You figure he wants to get as close as possible to the Atlanta offer to save face.

Yeah... but how much face can he save playing on the Island for the next decade? I'm still waiting for Colorado to jump in or something.

Yeah... but how much face can he save playing on the Island for the next decade? I'm still waiting for Colorado to jump in or something.

If the Isles have the best offer by a wide margin, I believe he will begrudgingly go there.

I think Kovalchuk is waiting for the Avs, too ... anyone besides the NYI to offer him $10 million.

Listen, you can't call it "using". He's about to make the biggest decision of his life and he should take a few days at least. It's impossible to use Lou. He's not moving Lou up in price, cuz Lou doesn't do that. Lou has already told Kovy what he can give him. If anything he's negotiating hard with the Kings.

Listen, you can't call it "using". He's about to make the biggest decision of his life and he should take a few days at least. It's impossible to use Lou. He's not moving Lou up in price, cuz Lou doesn't do that. Lou has already told Kovy what he can give him. If anything he's negotiating hard with the Kings.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Lou's not being used. Kovalchuk desperately wants an NHL team other than the Isles to offer him $10M.

Edited by Jerrydevil

kovie is using kings to get the best out of devils, he will stay, but for the most money he can bargain.

This is wrong. Kovy may CHOOSE to stay with the Devils but the max offer Lou can give is less than what the Kings are giving. What do you think Kovy is saying to Lou? "Ummm Lou the Kings are offering me more so up your price if you want to keep me." NO WAY THAT"S HAPPENING. Lou has told Kovy the most he can give him and added some sentimental stuff in there like, "We would love to have you as a Devil forever" and "NJ is a great place to raise your family" Lou knows that if Kovy wants more $$$$$ then he is leaving. Kovy knows the Devils don't have a fortune to spend and knows Lou is not going to budge. Not because he doesn't want to pay Kovy more, just because after doing the calculations, he realizes that he can't.

Also, Kovy does not want to play for the Islanders.

Edited by ben00rs

Also, Kovy does not want to play for the Islanders.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, how much do you think Kovalchuk would accept NOT to go to the Isles, assuming $100 million over 10 years is on the table?

Or do you think he would just bolt for Russia?

As long as that $10M offer from the Isles is real and remains on the table, I believe we're out of it.

i think kovalchuk would've instantly taken that deal, had he really wanted it. that's not to say we're still 'in it' - we may not be.

I tend to agree that Kovalchuk wouldn't play for the Isles @ 10 million per for the same reason he didn't take the offer from Atlanta. He does want to win. The question is, how much is it worth to him and does he think Jersey is the place to do that?

Personally, I think the Kings have a much brighter future than the Devils at least given the current milieu.