#41 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

From a Rangers fan in my chat at http://ESPN.com , ``Now the Rangers have 3 home arenas. What a great day.''

Need I remind them of May 25, 2012? Seems like nothing will ever change those rags fans.

#42 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

From a Rangers fan in my chat at http://ESPN.com, ``Now the Rangers have 3 home arenas. What a great day.''

Need I remind them of May 25, 2012? Seems like nothing will ever change those rags fans.

What an amazing home game they had that evening. And I have no problem bringing that up constantly after the 17 years of Matteau abuse we all took.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#43 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well they use crap like that because they can't claim to be the better franchise over the past 20 years..

Would you rather boast that you partially fill another team's building, or that you've seen more Cup wins in your lifetime?

And remember, 95% of that fan base will never be able to afford a playoff ticket at MSG.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

From a Rangers fan in my chat at http://ESPN.com, ``Now the Rangers have 3 home arenas. What a great day.''

Good to see Ranger fans are still as dumb as they ever were.

On topic...good for the Islanders and their fans. They've had to endure a lot of nonsense over the past 20 years or so. Being in a substandard building won't be one of their issues come 2015...maybe the sightlines won't be the best, but at least the rest of the building will be state of the art.

If only MSG would collapse and take out 20,000 Ranger fans and the team with it...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 24 October 2012 - 03:01 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Good to see Ranger fans are still as dumb as they ever were.

On topic...good for the Islanders and their fans. They've had to endure a lot of nonsense over the past 20 years or so. Being in a substandard building won't be one of their issues come 2015...maybe the sightlines won't be the best, but at least the rest of the building will be state of the art.

If only MSG would collapse and take out 20,000 Ranger fans and the team with it...

I still think the Devils should look into getting permission to use that clip at the end of the movie "Godzilla" with Matthew Broderick where they drop a few bombs on MSG.

#46 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,125 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I still think the Devils should look into getting permission to use that clip at the end of the movie "Godzilla" with Matthew Broderick where they drop a few bombs on MSG.

Didn't the Devils used to play a clip of NJ Devil going to MSG and then blowing it up with dynamite when they played the Rags?

#47 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Because when it was designed, the economy was still strong and they assumed that the Lighthouse project or something else would happen to keep the Islanders on Long Island, in which case designing this arena for hockey would've been a giant waste of money.

http://enr.construct...gital-tools.asp

If I remember correctly (and the information in the linked article is correct), the building was redesigned in 2008-2009 from the Frank Gehry plans (which were absolutely beautiful) to the current design (which is plain ugly IMO). The Gehry design was for a multipurpose arena for both basketball and hockey, but it changed when he was fired and they brought in a new architect and bascially redesigned the entire building.

The economy was in the sh!tter when Ratner decided to change architects and designs for the arena and was a major reason for this change as the proposed cost for the Gehry design was astronomical. They took the hockey component out to save money on the arena construction.

I still don't think this arena works for hockey based upon the set-up floor plan for the pre-season game. The Isles should have waited to play there for a game or 2 before making this decision, which binds them to another long term lease as a tenant in a building they don't own. There really wasn't any need to rush and make this decision now as they can't move from the Colisseum for the next 3 seasons (provided there is an NHL in 3 years). I know their fans are happy because they aren't moving from the region, but I think this could be another long-term disaster for that franchise.
Posted Image

#48 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

That's why they are $14.50 and I doubt you have to stand in line for those tickets like the $15 (used to be $10) tickets at the Rock.

Why would anyone pay $14.50 to be able to see only 1 of the 2 goals? I just don't get that at all, unless the arena has plenty of places for fans with those tickets to stand and watch the game without any obstructions. It's the same thing with the new Yankee Stadium. Why would anyone pay to sit in the section of the bleachers nearest the Sports Bar when it means you can't see the opposite field? Makes absolutely no sense to me.
Posted Image

#49 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

If you've not seen Barclay's yet, its a really impressive building, in and out. I love this move for the Islanders from a Devils fan perspective, it makes it that much easier to see the team on the road. Its two short train rides for me to get to rather than a drive out to the pit of Nassau.

That seating chart is funny as hell, but it wont be like that once the Isles are an actual tenant. The NHL wouldnt approve the move otherwise. Hence, 2015 start.

#50 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

im going to miss the isles in uniondale, nothing like planning to go to a hockey game 30 mins before the game and taking the 10 min drive from syosset and pay the cheap parking

Edited by bobilly45, 24 October 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#51 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Good for the Isles, I'm happy for their fans that the franchise will be staying in the area. On the down side, I'd probably be upset if I was an Isles fan born and raised on the Island because that was THEIR team, just like the Devils are OUR team here in Jersey. It's bittersweet for them I'd imagine... But Brooklyn is a much better option than Kansas City, so I'd be pretty stoked- all things considered- if I was an Isles fan.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#52 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I mean I'm very happy for the Islander fans getting to basically keep their team..

But I will say this.. I still worry that in a few decades they'll decide that this area only needs 2 teams.. And I worry that if the islanders are solid by then (especially if they get some city sponsors), it could be the Devils on the chopping block.. I would have liked to have some of the Islanders fan base jump on board with us.. It's so far in the future but I want this team to be here long after I'm gone.. We still have a young fan base but my fear is one day becoming, well, the Islanders lol

Edited by Colin226, 24 October 2012 - 06:35 PM.

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#53 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

I mean I'm very happy for the Islander fans getting to basically keep their team..

But I will say this.. I still worry that in a few decades they'll decide that this area only needs 2 teams.. And I worry that if the islanders are solid by then (especially if they get some city sponsors), it could be the Devils on the chopping block.. I would have liked to have some of the Islanders fan base jump on board with us.. It's so far in the future but I want this team to be here long after I'm gone.. We still have a young fan base but my fear is one day becoming, well, the Islanders lol

It could potentially go the other way, with some synergy being built. Imagine if the proximity caused the Islanders to be about as big a rival to us as the Flyers and Rangers. Those dates, which are kind of "eh" right now on our schedule (comparable to when the Maple Leafs come to town), would be a big deal, top-tier-priced tickets event at The Rock. I don't see the Islanders crowding us out. The Devils continuing to draw good revenue is probably above all tied to the team's performance. I do see what you mean though that the NHL might work harder to keep the Devils in New Jersey if, at some future point where we needed saving, moving them meant being down to just one metro area team.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#54 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I think we're safe because of the lease and TV deal for a good while, but our real long-term viability will be determined by how our ownership situation turns out.

#55 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I wish Wang would just sell the team, he has made a laughing stock of a one-time Dynasty type of franchise.

Overall, great move for the team. Long Island is just not a media market.

It was a laughing stock long before Wang got there.

In any event, I think he gets too much flack. The guy has lost a ton of money doing everything he could to keep the Isles in Long Island. He could have made a killing selling the team to someone who wanted to relocate them.

He 's put a lot of his own money into it, and was actually going to use private money to do the lighthouse initially.

He's not like Vanderbeek who put a lot of other people's money on the line. Not every owner is lucky enough to inherit a GM like Lou.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#56 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

If you've not seen Barclay's yet, its a really impressive building, in and out. I love this move for the Islanders from a Devils fan perspective, it makes it that much easier to see the team on the road. Its two short train rides for me to get to rather than a drive out to the pit of Nassau.

That seating chart is funny as hell, but it wont be like that once the Isles are an actual tenant. The NHL wouldnt approve the move otherwise. Hence, 2015 start.

I have not seen it yet, but look forward to it. I will be going there to check out a Nets game sometime soon, and will attend the Dave Matthews Band concert there in late December....

If the NHL is still on strike...I will go to the Ovechkin vs Kovy KHL game there in January? I believe

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#57 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Living in Nassau, i'm pretty bummed as I always loved seeing Devs Isles at the Coliseum, but for anyone that's been there can understand the move, probably one of the worst buildings in pro sports today
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#58 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I think we're safe because of the lease and TV deal for a good while, but our real long-term viability will be determined by how our ownership situation turns out.

Makes me want to be a billionaire just so I can be like Wang and ensure the team never moves..

I think our next TV deal won't be as good.. Not sure what our ratings are, but I feel like part of that deal was because Dolan figured he had a monopoly on HD.. Now that everyone has access to HD, Cablevision has lost that and people are switching

#59 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Vote in this fan poll for the best Metropolitan arena

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

#60 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have not seen it yet, but look forward to it. I will be going there to check out a Nets game sometime soon, and will attend the Dave Matthews Band concert there in late December....

If the NHL is still on strike...I will go to the Ovechkin vs Kovy KHL game there in January? I believe

A friend of mine is a promoter and got a bunch of tix for one of Jay-Z's shows there. Im not a fan of his much at all, but I went along the 2nd night just for the building more than anything. It's easily the "prettiest" arena in the local area, including The Rock, but that makes sense since its the newest. I may go to that KHL game depending on circumstances. Barclay's is also in a perfect area. The amount of access is pretty ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users